• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Avalanche of the Season

Koog57

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2008
Donnelly, Idaho
Team 57, our riding group, had an avalanche scare this weekend and I thought I would share the events that took place that caused the avalanche and also saved a life. I am not trying to pin any blame on anyone but to raise awareness because there were several of us that were unprepared including myself.

It was the first ride of the year for most of us. We were trying to get some miles on our new sleds and break them in. McCall has received some snow in the higher elevations the last few nights and we wanted to take advantage of it. I was an idiot leaving the pickup thinking "this will just be a road ride" and didn't bring my avalanche beacon. My girl friend bought batteries for her's but decided not to bring it as well. I know that there were several others in our group that didn't bring theirs either. We did have shovels but did not bring avalanche probes either.

So after several hours of riding in meadows and playing on small hills, our group of about 25 riders decided to head through the fog over to Duck Lake and Black Dog Valley, or at least that's what I think it's called. We found a good pocket of powder and a hill climb about 200 feet from the chute that Matt Potratz got buried on a few years ago. Several guys in the group began to make runs at the hill trying to break over the top. I was talking to one of the guys in our group while sitting at the bottom and you could see breaks in the snow along the cliffs where avalanches had occurred previously so we knew the snow was unstable. This should have been our first red flag.

After a few minutes, one rider was about two thirds of the way to the top of the hill slowly climbing through the deep snow ascending upward. Another rider on a turbo sled was making an ascent too and passed the first rider breaking over the top of the hill at a high rate of speed. Both riders saw the snow start to break as they were reaching the upper portion of the hill. The turbo sled was able to power through the beginning of the avalanche and make it over the top. The first rider was not so fortunate.

I was watching from the bottom and saw the top of the hill break loose. The crack at the top of the avalanche was about 2 feet deep. I kept my eye on the snowmobile as the avalanche carried it down the hill but I could not see the rider. I fired up my sled and quickly got to a safe distance at the bottom of the hill to wait for the avalanche to settle all the time keeping my eyes on the sled coming down the hill. As soon as the snow settled I rode quickly up the hill to where the sled stopped so I could start looking for the rider. About 10 other guys in our group followed me.

I stood there for a few seconds surveying the slide while trying to get my shovel and gear out. The only part of the buried snowmobile that was showing was the rear bumper. Talk about feeling lost. No beacon or probe. I saw no signs of the buried rider. The next guy who came up the hill to meet me didn't have a beacon either. Luckily there were a lot of riders in our group that were prepared. They quickly responded with their beacons and probes. About 3 minutes had elapsed now since the avalanche first started. One rider with a beacon quickly narrowed down the area of the buried rider and we began to probe for him while others began to dig. We quickly found his leg and began to excavate the rest of his body. Everyone kept a very level head and worked together quickly and efficiently to safely remove the rider from the snow. Once his head was uncovered I could clearly see his face. His skin color was blue and I saw no movement at all. The only thing I could think of was that we were too late.

We made sure that his mouth was free of snow and started to check for vital functions. His eyelids began to twitch. We started to talk to him while others dug to free him. He began responding to our questions and then began to move his arm and free leg. We kept him stable until he was completely free from being buried. He was talking, could feel all his body parts, and was able to move all his body parts so we allowed him to get up. From the time the avalanche started to the time he was freed felt like an eternity. It was less than 10 minutes. I believe that if we were 2 minutes later in responding the outcome wouldn't have been the same. The rider sustained no serious injuries. He was just a little sore and rode out under his own power. We were extremely relieved.

I don't want to focus on the negative either. There were so many good things that happened in the situation too. Everyone responded quickly with a level head, used their avalanche tools properly and efficiently, and made the best of a terrible situation. The rider who was buried did an excellent job. He tried to stay with the sled as long as possible and tried to stay on top of the slide. When he couldn't hang on any more he let go of the snowmobile. He was only about 10 feet from his sled when we found him. When he was buried, he remained calm and tried to conserve his breathes because he knew he didn't have much air. Only a pocket of air space created by his helmet. The rider recalls blacking out and not hearing anything until he felt the probe hit his body. He was in and out of consciousness until we cleared the snow from his face and he was able to breathe again. He was wearing a beacon with fresh batteries which saved his life. Without it we would have had no clue where to start digging.

For a few of us it was a real eye opener as well. It's safe to say I will never leave the truck again without my beacon and probe. I will always check to make sure that the batteries are good. I will always make sure that everyone in my group has a beacon and knows how to use it. I saw the warning signs and knew the snow was unstable but didn't try to stop anyone in my group from hill climbing on the steep faces. We had multiple riders making ascents on the same hill at the same time.

I have been snowmobiling for over 13 years. I've ridden every kind of terrain imaginable. I know how to use a beacon and probe. It's funny how after all these years and experience I would still take a chance and go riding without a beacon. NEVER AGAIN. I hope I didn't miss anything but these events happened so quickly sometimes you forget things. I am just glad to say that the buried rider and alive and well today.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HCM

Jan 12, 2010
was a close call for sure. I can still see the snow braking.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
What a scary story, glad it worked out for you all. You know what's mistakes you made and will not make them again which is great reminder for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
One of the things we do when getting dressed is talk to everybody in the group. Little thing we do is say "beacons on" and at the end of the day "beacons off" Helps to prevent forgetting to wear them and forgetting to turn them off. I also carry an extra beacon in my bag in case somebody forgot theirs. The other biggie is almost everybody we ride with has an avy pack in case everything else fails.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
thanks for posting some great lessons learned from this experience.

Guys have died on the trail here in CO...beacon is a must....for EVERYONE in the group!

A great practice to start is the lead rider pulls over before leaving the lot...then turns his beacon to search...and checks every rider as they pass...confirming that they are carrying a beacon and it is turned on.

A few of the busier trailheads in CO now have stations set up that you ride up to and a green light turns on indicating that you have a working beacon.

Expect the unexpected!

again thanks for sharing...glad it all turned out for the best

-diz

M

miko

Nov 28, 2007
So. Dak.
Thanks for this story. I know I will remember this AS I'm riding this year. You guys had a close call and thank God that's all it was. Thanks to you I hope we all learn from this day.

2fun4u

Feb 20, 2002
Mountain Home, ID
www.2coolairvents.com
Happens all the time

Can't tell you how many riding trips we've taken and i've heard exactly what you said, "It's just a road ride, i'm not gonna wear my beacon." And I can't tell you how many times i've argued with riding buddies that the invested in this piece of livesaving equipment and they had to wear it - or i'm not riding with them.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for being humbled enough to recognize the mistakes that were made and learn from it.

:) 2fun

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Good to hear he had his beacon on! ALWAYS, ALWAYS WEAR ALL YOUR AVY GEAR!

I went on a road ride today, had mine on and so did my buddy. Didn't need it but why break habit?:face-icon-small-win

Stay safe!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Holy s***.

Any pictures of the hill and/or debris pile after the slide?

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Can't tell you how many riding trips we've taken and i've heard exactly what you said, "It's just a road ride, i'm not gonna wear my beacon." And I can't tell you how many times i've argued with riding buddies that the invested in this piece of livesaving equipment and they had to wear it - or i'm not riding with them.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for being humbled enough to recognize the mistakes that were made and learn from it.

:) 2fun

So true, its amazing how fast your in avy terrain when you tell yourself "its just an early season road ride"

I've done this on accident a couple times and its scary when you realize your riding naked!!

Last edited:

Koog57

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2008
Donnelly, Idaho
Snow was really wet in the lower elevations but starting to get deep up high. This will be a really great base. Still lots of landmines out there.

Koog57

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2008
Donnelly, Idaho
Big Country News on Facebook has a pic of the rider and the bottom half of the slide. Hopefully this link works:

http://www.facebook.com/bigcountrynewsconnection

59672_437052426361698_194514428_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
first dork award for the year goes to the driver of the turbo sled (if he was the second guy on the hill)... which was what was reported in the news here in the LC Valley:face-icon-small-hap

We won the dork award:jaw: several years back... saying "It is just a road ride, don't need the gear, it is a quick in and out just to check clutching"... and the whole hill came down... we got out okay on one sled and went back the following weekend to rescue the other sled...

Koog57

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2008
Donnelly, Idaho
Thank you for stating your comment the way you did and not being rude. I did not want my article to come across as trying to place blame. I am glad that no one saw it that way. We all made some mistakes and learnt a big lesson that day. Several riders on the hill at once, bad snow conditions, those of us that saw bad conditions didn't stop the others, people without beacons and probes, etc. I am just glad it wasn't more costly than what it was. It appears that you have made a similar mistake too and it's bad that we (people) have to have incidents like this to make us learn.

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Glad everyone was ok and that you had the character to share your story with us. It is a great reminder to all.
tudizzle has a great suggestion on first guy out checking everyones beacon as they leave. That one little extra thing that could mean all the difference.

P

phatboyfilms

Oct 7, 2008
That's for sharing this, I think it's good for people to know its real. As someone else said here - ck ur beacons - mine quit receiving last yr & I never would've caught it otherwise.

Glad everyone made it out safe. Thx for the report.

Premium Features