• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FC 450 tranny

B

burnz

Jan 7, 2013
Nanton, Alberta
I'm looking to swap gears in my 2015 FC450 for a lower 1st as i use the bike in the summer as well and its just geared way to high for my liking on single track. I found a company that i can order a 6 speed gear set online but its $2000 and i was hoping to spend less that. to keep it cheap am i best off searching for a 13-16 FE/ XCFW tranny or can i purchase individual gears from husky and just swap them?

J

jarred kale

Jul 21, 2022
USA
I'm looking to swap gears in my 2015 FC450 for a lower 1st as i use the bike in the summer as well and its just Tutuapp 9Apps geared way to high for my liking on single track. I found a company that i can order a 6 speed gear set online but its $2000 and i was hoping to spend less that. to keep it cheap am i best off searching for a 13-16 FE/ XCFW tranny or can i purchase individual gears from husky and just swap them?
did you look through ebay for cheaper options ?

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
This won't answer your questions on source for needed parts, but I'll throw it out there anyway. For $2,000, you are a good bit into just buying a second bike so you have a dedicated snowbike and dedicated trail bike. I think many of us started out with the idea that we'd swap the bike back and forth between winter and summer. But we quickly realized that the bike and transmission that makes for a great snowbike are opposite traits of a bike that makes a great trail bike. Soon enough, most end up with two bikes and don't swap back and forth between wheels and track. Add a couple more thousand to that $2,000 part (plus install expense) and you can pick up a nice used bike for summer. That will save a lot of time on swaps twice a year (or more if your seasons overlap a lot) and, you can REALLY set up your snowbike perfect since a lot of the snowbike mods are not conducive to easy seasonal swap; mods such as a heavily modified/dedicated airbox and intake, tunnel cooler and radiator mods/delete and associated cooling hose reroutes and mods, resprung/revalved front fork, etc.)

I'd rather have two older used bikes setup up perfect for each duty (wheeled and snow) than one fancy new bike trying to pull double-duty. Having one bike for two seasons is all about compromises. True that using one bike for both is better than not doing both sports at all, but if you want the best trail bike and the best snowbike, there is no one bike that can be both. Consider owning two bikes to dedicate to each sport rather than sinking some big money into a single bike, like you are about to do, to try to make one bike do both.

Premium Features