• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Favorite Offline Map Apps for Backcountry

alstar

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
North of Duluth, MN
What is everyone using for apps when it comes to backcountry and offline usage. I really like to use Google Earth with the Satellite imagery to see roads and trails (but it doesn't work without cell service) vs my GPS that only has the topo map.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I've been using Backcountry Navigator for years. I use my old phone when I upgrade to new. Currently a Pixel XL, tethered and velcroed and plugged in on my windshield bag. I use aerial images to find areas to play, but I typically ride with it in a mostly white topo map so it's easy to see in daylight. Areial imagery tends to be too dark.

To get a better idea of the topography, I use FATMAP. If you haven't used that app before, you're in for a treat.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
you can download offline maps to google maps and view them in satelite mode.
Almost the same thing as google earth, even without cell coverage.
OnX offroad works pretty well also.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I have used Backcountry Navigator PRO for a few years now for ATV riding, Sledding, hiking, and it is a VERY nice app. If i recall correctly, it was $12 to buy the app, and no other fees going forward. You do have to to download the maps (i used caltopo) while connected to the internet or via cell service, and that takes a bit of time. Once that is done, it does a fine job of making a track as you ride. . . no service required.

I tried using the new one - Backcountry Navigator XE - and did not have good success with it. This one requires a yearly subscription and i cancelled after the first year. It was money wasted, in my opinion.

Still using BCN PRO on my android phone - love it!!

For backup, i pack a Garmin InReach Mini in case i need to communicate with family, S&R or others in the event of an emergency.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I have used Avenza and Polaris Ride Command and I know both of those display snowmobile trails (at least where I ride) on the map. I am not sure about the others which were mentioned.

My preferred app at present is the Avenza but I have not tried anything other than Polaris RC.

For those who have used Avenza and one or more of the following, how does it compare?
These have been mentioned:
Backcountry Navigator
Backcountry Navigator Pro
FatMap (for topo)
OnX Offroad
Polaris Ride Command (I am familiar with this one)
and
Download offline maps to Google Maps and view in satellite mode.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Gaia GPS works well also. You can load trail maps into it. You can also save areas for offline use. ONX has snow trails currently, I have only looked it over no real world use it may be something good. If they can get it to work like the hunt side of things it may be a good resource.

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
I use Topo maps , it’s a hiking app. (Which I don’t do) but has a great tracking feature , works well off line

Z
Nov 10, 2021
United Kingdom
Gaia GPS works well also. You can load trail maps into it. You can also save areas for offline use. ONX has snow trails currently, I have only looked it over no real world use it may be something good. If they can get it to work for paragon services like the hunt side of things it may be a good resource.
Making searches at all places easy. Typically, a large amount of people lose data while traveling in tunnels, on flyovers, or in the metro. You get much slower GSM data and might even see the dreaded 'EDGE' on your smartphone. Resolve this problem with Navi Maps. Continue to browse your offline map and look for places from wherever you are.

C
Apr 30, 2018
Topo Maps+ for iOS is great. Paid version offers hi res but I’ve just used the free low res options and it’s perfect. A great app and it tracks your hike if you want, along with pins, altitude, etc.
On Android - Locus Maps has been magnificent to me. Downloaded GPX maps for my area and imported them. No complaints. Kept me on the trail in some hairy areas.

mumur

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
I use a Gaia GPS subscription. Can layer in slope data, private/public land ownership, logging operations, marked areas w/pictures, download everything for offline use, and track during a ride. Has everything I want. I use an old smartphone (no sim/data) in a RAM mount, load it up on WiFi with everything I need.

An example where I put in a whole local trail network, just drawing in the routes:
1639506877715.png

and another from a recent scouting trip w/a driven track:
gaiagps.png

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The federal national forest service uses AVENSA 1639545278713.png

In the USA most OSV and OHV maps are required by the NFS to properly display boundaries. NFS uses AVENSA to mark boundaries

Avenza Maps®. Tracking your next adventure.​

1M+ maps available offline for your mobile device​

Learn more
Image is not available

1639545261172.png

Last edited:

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
We use Trail Treker, they have a very good selection of offline maps and by standards quite reasonable. Available in the App store or Apple. He has excellent tracking and other info. Besides all that he is a small Montana company. Check it out.

Premium Features