• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beat GPS and communicator

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
I posted this in the electronics section last week and only got a couple responses with no definitive answer. Can the inreach explorer function well enough as a GPS for snowmobiling?

Guys I’m in need of advice, looking to buy a new piece of equipment that can function as a gps. Things I need:

ability to track a course, save the course to a computer, and possibly reload the course for future rides. we go to new places all the time so I want to save them. This is for sledding, hunting, fishing, sxs etc. I would keep the unit in my pocket so mounting to the sled/sxs is not a big deal.

as I research more im between the inreach, the gps maps 66i, and the Montana. I want the TOPO maps for all the activities above. I also want it to be simple, intuitive, and quick to use.

inreach would be nice for emergencies but also nice because my white tail stands are not in cell signal. I take call for work, so it would be nice to sit in the stand while on call. I sure could hunt more!

It would also be nice to link up units so we can see each other on Our own units. Another guy would get an inreach if I did. Oh yeah we have bca radios for snowmobiling so communication on the mountain is less important.

Garmin does a poor job of comparing and contrasting on the website so I thought I would come to a place that uses them in real word conditions

Premium Features