• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fair price for 2007 ???

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Living here in Southern California it is difficult to find a sled and figure out what's a fair price.

I have done my share of road trips to MT, ID and UT to get a sled.

Well a friend of a friend called me and a guy (70 years old) a few miles from my house has a 2007 Apex 4 stroke up with 900 miles.

Is this sled worth owning for the trail?

Are there any issues?

He told me to make an offer.

What is a fair price?

Last edited:

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
My friend has a 2006 attak. Which I believe turned into the apex in 2007. His was the crossover model with a 136 track. He has not had any issues with it. Seems to be a great trial sled. The only issue is that they are heavy tanks I would say a fair price depends on where you live. Trail sleds are worth more in areas that have trails to ride. You could not give that sled away in my area. We have trails but most people around here only ride trails to get back into the playgrounds. I would say a fair price would be mid 4's. back east. It would be worth a bit more

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
My friend has a 2006 attak. Which I believe turned into the apex in 2007. His was the crossover model with a 136 track. He has not had any issues with it. Seems to be a great trial sled. The only issue is that they are heavy tanks I would say a fair price depends on where you live. Trail sleds are worth more in areas that have trails to ride. You could not give that sled away in my area. We have trails but most people around here only ride trails to get back into the playgrounds. I would say a fair price would be mid 4's. back east. It would be worth a bit more

I know its heavy specs say 566 lb dry. Was looking at it for the occasional guest sled . BTW I still have a Polaris 900 RMK mountain paperweight / boat anchor !

Thank you for the imput !

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
The apex is a solid sled. They are heavy, but if you are going to cruise trails it would be fine. the engines are more reliable than anything else out there, it should be fuel and ride for a long time.

A stock 2007 with 900 miles in good condition that was only driven to church on sundays by an elderly man...I'd probably go 4K as well.

Also they sound awesome with aftermarket exhaust..haha

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The apex is a solid sled. They are heavy, but if you are going to cruise trails it would be fine. the engines are more reliable than anything else out there, it should be fuel and ride for a long time.

A stock 2007 with 900 miles in good condition that was only driven to church on sundays by an elderly man...I'd probably go 4K as well.

Also they sound awesome with aftermarket exhaust..haha

Oh boy after further look at the sled it was driven to church on Sundays by an elderly man WITH NO SNOW.

The hyfax are melted. :tape2:

Since I do mail order what is the profile number of the hyfax and required length?

Did a search and found Profile 27 at 45 inches?

hank you for the reply.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I bought the sled and trailer !

So how do I know which Apex is this sled?

There is a GT , ER , RTX , RTX ER

It has no reverse.

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Maybe check the vin plate on the tunnel? Without reverse I would think it is probably the base model. So this is a short tracked apex rather than the longer MTX version?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I havethe VIN / title ... should I post it or PM someone so they can identify the sled?

Yamaha2007_trailer012_zpsf449f769.jpg

Yamaha2007_trailer004_zps80d05202.jpg

Yamaha2007_trailer009_zps7e339e65.jpg

Yamaha2007_trailer019_zps6d9ba2c0.jpg

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I wouldn't post the Vin on an open forum. I think the rtx is the short track and looking at your pictures you definitely have the long track. It should be a 162x16. The stock track isn't that great but it will be alright for a backup sled.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I did a little looking and reverse should have been standard equipment on an MTX. There was also an SE version that came with a red and black color scheme.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Reverse was not standard on the MTX. You can add reverse on to it if you like, but that is definitely a stock 07 Apex MTX with a goldfinger lefty throttle. I used to own one just like it. 162x2.25x16 Camoplast Maverick. If you are going to just trail ride it, cut the lugs down to 2" or less. And I see it also already has scratchers on it so you are good there. Looks like they flipped the rear bumper over. The reflector comes stock with it hanging below.

Anything you want to know just ask and I can tell you. Owned an 07 for a couple years and then bought an 08 with a bunch of mods on it. Great find with that low of miles!!

No need to post the VIN.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Reverse was not standard on the MTX. You can add reverse on to it if you like, but that is definitely a stock 07 Apex MTX with a goldfinger lefty throttle. I used to own one just like it. 162x2.25x16 Camoplast Maverick. If you are going to just trail ride it, cut the lugs down to 2" or less. And I see it also already has scratchers on it so you are good there. Looks like they flipped the rear bumper over. The reflector comes stock with it hanging below.

Anything you want to know just ask and I can tell you. Owned an 07 for a couple years and then bought an 08 with a bunch of mods on it. Great find with that low of miles!!

No need to post the VIN.

Thank you so much.

This is my first 4 cycle sled. What is a normal RPM?

Can I go WOT? Probably has a rev governor or electric timing retarding program?

What kind of mileage on a tank of fuel?

Maintenance? Change the oil etc?

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Thank you so much.

This is my first 4 cycle sled. What is a normal RPM?

Can I go WOT? Probably has a rev governor or electric timing retarding program?

What kind of mileage on a tank of fuel?

Maintenance? Change the oil etc?

Sorry for the not responding sooner. I kind of forgot about this thread and got busy with the holidays.

Normal RPM at WOT is 10,500rpm

You can surely go WOT. When I'm climbing it's usually right at the bars. The rev limiter kicks in at 11,000rpm and you'll hear it poppin. I've only blown 1 belt holding it WOT and that was probably a 1/2 mile pull in a stubble field with 10in of snow.

Mileage is right around 10mpg when you are playing and riding hard. That's usually what I get in the mountains. 120-150 miles per tank. Which is a good day of riding and I almost always have 2.5gal of fuel strapped on the back.

Maintenance- Front bulkhead bushings and A-arm/spindle mount bushings. I usually can tell when they wear because they will get sloppy. Make sure the A-arm to spindle mounts bolt stay tight, have had a couple come a bit loose and then the bolts end up bent. Usually every other year or so I think about doing these bushings.

Hyfax, ski carbides, susp mount bushings, just normal stuff. Steering bushings, those you can also tell because you will have play in your steering. Exhaust donuts, those are right behind the short flex pipes off the motor underneath the gas tank (dont't worry there is a heat shield and all that in between) if you start having backfiring issues those probably need replaced. I did my 07 and my 08 around 3000 miles along with spark plugs.

Changing oil, I personally do an oil change every fall before I ride and then and oil filter & oil every other year.

Gas and go really, I do all maintenance myself so with a little guidance, some time, metric tools, they aren't that bad to work on. Just takes some time getting to things like oil filter, battery, front A-arm to bulkhead mounts.

Clutches are pretty simple too. Then your chaincase oil/chain tension as well. Just normal snowmobile stuff.

Oh and the headlight mounts are known to break. Both of mine on my 08 are broke and 1 was broke on the 07 I had. Simple piece of bent aluminum riveted in place and thread tapped works just fine.

Last edited:
Premium Features