• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exit or raptor?

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I never said that. But if you've been around here long you know that it is not uncommon for people to talk up products that they either sell or are sponsored by. The original post was asking about which shock to go with. I was just trying to help the guy get good feedback. I believe that the Raptor is a great shock and have only ridden one sled with them.

I agree, very true.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
i have Exits all the way around. I love them. That being said I personally do not believe that they are worth the big time cash required.
I think fit and finish and adjusting on the fly are just fine on the exits as well. FWIW

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
If someone gets a discount on something, Are they no longer able to provide advice on it? If you go to the store and buy something 30% off are you no longer able to tell someone how great that product is anymore because your bias?? Where does this thinking come from?

One asks a question on this forum to get answers from people that have had personal experience with said product to help aid in ones decision or etc... In this case, if you have had no experience in either shocks or its companies what are you adding to this post?

It is fairly simple, look though the pages of posts and click on one that you can gain something from or contribute to. If you can not do either , carry on...

Last edited:
I
Nov 26, 2007
If someone gets a discount on something, Are they no longer able to provide advise on it? If you go to the store and buy something 30% off are you no longer able to tell someone how great that product is anymore because your bias?? Where does this thinking come from?

One asks a question on this forum to get answers from people that have had personal experience with said product to help aid in ones decision or etc... In this case, if you have had no experience in either shocks or its companies what are you adding to this post?

It is fairly simple, look though the pages of posts and click on one that you can gain something from or contribute to. If you can not do either , carry on...

I think everyone can share their opinion but those who are being compensated to have a positive opinion of a product should make that clear. Being compensated to promote a product is nothing like buying something on sale at the store.

I felt pointing out some of the people in this thread are being paid for their opinion was a contribution, if you disagree that’s fine, I’ll add more.

I currently own both exits and raptors, both are great shocks that are very similar in what they do and how they do it. I’ve bought some high end fox shocks for this year and will share my opinion on those as well once I get some seat time. I think any aftermarket shock is an improvement over stock in both performance and extending time needed between rebuilds which can help offset the initial purchase price.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I think everyone can share their opinion but those who are being compensated to have a positive opinion of a product should make that clear. Being compensated to promote a product is nothing like buying something on sale at the store.

I felt pointing out some of the people in this thread are being paid for their opinion was a contribution, if you disagree that’s fine, I’ll add more.

I currently own both exits and raptors, both are great shocks that are very similar in what they do and how they do it. I’ve bought some high end fox shocks for this year and will share my opinion on those as well once I get some seat time. I think any aftermarket shock is an improvement over stock in both performance and extending time needed between rebuilds which can help offset the initial purchase price.

Great info!

When you say compensate what do you mean? A company actually paying someone to use their product?

I can tell you no one here is being paid.. How would you have any clue if someone is actually being paid in the first place???

I
Nov 26, 2007
Great info!

When you say compensate what do you mean? A company actually paying someone to use their product?

I can tell you no one here is being paid.. How would you have any clue if someone is actually being paid in the first place???

No, compensation is a reward for service. It can be money but for sponsored riders, social media influencers, etc its usually discounted or free product. I have no idea what your business agreement is with raptor, maybe you get product at a discount, maybe you’re a dealer, doesn’t matter to me really. But since you got your shocks about two weeks ago after previously riding fox I’m suspicious of your “personal experience”.

Regardless, we’re way off topic now. Pm me if you’d like to continue this conversation.

Last edited:

compound 1300

Premium Member
Mar 15, 2010
zortman montana
Raptors

I’m running Raptors On a 17 Axys i like the features and adjustability. It’s mostly how damn good they look ? I ran exit on a 14 cat which were nice also but I’m glad I went with Raptors this time.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Raptors are the best looking shock for sure. I also forgot to mention raptor has had much better customer service for me than zbros did.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Raptors are the best looking shock for sure. I also forgot to mention raptor has had much better customer service for me than zbros did.

I've heard this too about customer service. I haven't had that problem with Zbroz yet. In fact, they have stepped up to help me out when the dealer I bought from sent the wrong shock (bodied for an Assault not a Pro).

It would be an awesome day if a guy could ride stock sleds with X1's, Raptors and QSR3's, jumping back and forth.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Any of the top notch offerings from Raptor, Exit, Fox or (gasp) Walker Evans (5/8" needles) are going to kick butt ***if*** valved and sprung correctly for the rider, application and sled.

The addition of more external adjustment is great, but most people just get in trouble with these fiddle knobs as they don't understand how they impact the ride of the sled in the first place.

To add, don't get too sucked into the marketing jargon of each company. All these shocks at the top level function very similarly and a lot of what each company claims can be achieved through custom valving anyway..

The best shock in the world setup poorly will get its butt kicked by a mediocre shock valved and sprung correctly. I'd go with the one your dealer will stand behind and work with you on when it comes to making it do exactly what you want it to do... (or the one you personally feel most comfortable working on)

That is a quality post that explains just about everything.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I am a Doo guy but I am sure that the info applies: If the shock seller does not test the shocks that they sell, they will suck, no matter how cool they look or how many knobs that they have on them.
The QS3 shocks that Fox sold last year for the 850 sleds: WTF. WTF. I say it twice because WTF. How can a company like Fox sell such a raging POS. I spent almost $4000 my cost on two sets, worst shock I have ever ridden. I should have known that they were never tested when I saw the springs. Just looking at the ski shocks, tiny coil diameter, more coils than the stockers, they were SOOO soft. They clunked when unloaded. You could feel it in the bars, every time I hit a bump or dropped off something, they banged.
When my buddy got a set of Raptors last year to test/ride on an Axys (he works at a dealership) Jake straight told him that the valving wasn't right, yet he is selling the shocks. At least Jake admitted it.
And to be honest, 95% of shock buyers buy them to look cool, the stockers are probably just fine for them. They don't understand the adjustments or even touch them out of the box. Local guy here who bought a new 850 had to have Foxes out of the gate, I have never seen him actually ride anywhere than a fun run with a bottle of booze in his hand. He sure as hell doesn't ride any powder or bumps at speed.
Rant over, I have spend $30K-$40K in aftermarket shocks over the last 5 years, and have felt butt-hurt every time. I am running stock X/Freeride shocks this year, with my valving if need be, and I would challenge anyone with similar sleds and $3000 aftermarket shocks to have a better ride.
Rant over for the second time. And sorry for infecting the Poopoo forum with Doodoo. :):):)
Chris

Premium Features