• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Equal-i-zer hitch

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Depends on the trailer IMO. I have a 30 foot bumper pull camper that I use an equalizing hitch on - I have tried pulling it a couple of times without the bars and I can't tell much of a difference (2002 GMC 2500HD Dmax). What I think would be nice for the camper is an anti-sway kit, which would help out a bunch when I have a cross wind (my hitch is weight distro only, not anti sway)

I have a Triton 4 place enclosed and that trailer pulls like a dream - no need for dist/sway for this trailer.

My suggestion would be to hook it up and go for a test run before purchasing, most of the guys I ride with that have big trailers don't have WD hitches.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I've had multiple four place trailers and wouldn't tow long distance without one. I have the equalizer setup as well as the anti-sway setup. Works really well especially if you have alot of tounge weight.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Forgot to mention - if you do go with a WD hitch setup - unhook the bars before you go on any rough (dippy) roads. Have heard of guys bending camper/truck hitches when putting too much stress on that connection. Whenever we pull off the road and head into our spot at the lake I always take off the WD bars, and put them back on when I get to the pavement.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
I would, it puts weight back on the front tires. I know my parents had a 30 ft class c motor home and with the amount of a$$ sticking out from behind the rear wheels you can really feel the front get "loose" when you go into a rolling bump. With that being said, with a trailer behind it, I would think it would make it worse. I would put one on if it was me. Might think about putting on an anti sway as mentioned above.

Premium Features