• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for opinion on replacement IceAge rails

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I'm in need of new rails after stabbing my track this past weekend. This is for a 155 Matryx Khaos w/2.75 track. My dealer has 2 IceAge options in stock:

1. Bomber rails, cut for Matryx Khaos
2. Classic rails, cut for Axys Khaos

I'm not hardcore enough to need bomber rails so I'm leaning towards the classic Axys rails which are lighter, and dealer is selling for a good chunk less. As I understand, the only difference in cut between these two is the Matryx rails are made to fit the stock Polaris 2.75 anti-stab. I could run the Axys rails by chopping the ends and running anti-stab without the oem rail caps. Not sure if relevant, but I'll be running 3" IceAge anti-stab as my stock ones are trashed.

Any thoughts on this? Reasons why I shouldn't run the Axys rails?

S
Feb 6, 2008
I would opt for the classic axys khaos rails. i have both a axys khaos and a matryx khaos. The axys has iceage rails and they appear to have a slightly steeper approach angle than the stock matryx. Hard to tell with the sleds just sitting side by side. Def feels more playful than the matryx. Just a thought tho I believe you would need to install a anti stab on the axys rails. The matryx runs different drivers and need more clearance.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I am curious how you stabbed the truck? Did you have the stock anti stab and ratchet drivers? I could see the POS track delaminating but stabbing? Any pictures? I haven’t heard of any doing this. Yet.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I'm in need of new rails after stabbing my track this past weekend. This is for a 155 Matryx Khaos w/2.75 track. My dealer has 2 IceAge options in stock:

1. Bomber rails, cut for Matryx Khaos
2. Classic rails, cut for Axys Khaos

I'm not hardcore enough to need bomber rails so I'm leaning towards the classic Axys rails which are lighter, and dealer is selling for a good chunk less. As I understand, the only difference in cut between these two is the Matryx rails are made to fit the stock Polaris 2.75 anti-stab. I could run the Axys rails by chopping the ends and running anti-stab without the oem rail caps. Not sure if relevant, but I'll be running 3" IceAge anti-stab as my stock ones are trashed.

Any thoughts on this? Reasons why I shouldn't run the Axys rails?
Do the bombers as they are proper fit. Not worth trying to save the 50 bucks and then having a hokey anti stab setup. Bombers may be overkill for you but oem tips and anti stab combo is way better overall solution for you.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I am curious how you stabbed the truck? Did you have the stock anti stab and ratchet drivers? I could see the POS track delaminating but stabbing? Any pictures? I haven’t heard of any doing this. Yet.

Yes, it was stock series 8 setup. This one’s all on me. We knew it was minimal snow but had an appetite for a little rip from home. I got a little trigger happy with my munster and came down on a hidden stump, snapped the anti-stab shaft. Photo shows it after we pulled it off, and remnants of 2” branch that wedged the track over the rail.

C0A7B0F1-B463-4A50-A41C-04F87B1D1DDB.jpeg

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I would opt for the classic axys khaos rails. i have both a axys khaos and a matryx khaos. The axys has iceage rails and they appear to have a slightly steeper approach angle than the stock matryx. Hard to tell with the sleds just sitting side by side. Def feels more playful than the matryx. Just a thought tho I believe you would need to install a anti stab on the axys rails. The matryx runs different drivers and need more clearance.

Thanks, appreciate the input. Yes, I'd definitely install anti-stab. Dealer didn't have the Matryx rails on hand, but just received them. I'm going to swing by tomorrow and have a look, compare the 2 rails side by side.

Do the bombers as they are proper fit. Not worth trying to save the 50 bucks and then having a hokey anti stab setup. Bombers may be overkill for you but oem tips and anti stab combo is way better overall solution for you.

I wouldn't scoff at $50. They've had the Axys rails awhile, the Matryx rails were just received and come with a price jump. But I'm in the weeds here on price, and I take your point. The oem setup is pretty clean.

Can anyone tell me the weight difference on bomber vs classic rails, is it significant?

How well do bombers withstand stump bashing :ROFLMAO:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Yes, it was stock series 8 setup. This one’s all on me. We knew it was minimal snow but had an appetite for a little rip from home. I got a little trigger happy with my munster and came down on a hidden stump, snapped the anti-stab shaft. Photo shows it after we pulled it off, and remnants of 2” branch that wedged the track over the rail.

View attachment 399201

Thanks for the reply. Nice work. I’m going to 2nd Nicks recommendation for going with the Bomber rails. I’d also buy a Lynx track and have a real set up.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Thanks, appreciate the input. Yes, I'd definitely install anti-stab. Dealer didn't have the Matryx rails on hand, but just received them. I'm going to swing by tomorrow and have a look, compare the 2 rails side by side.

I wouldn't scoff at $50. They've had the Axys rails awhile, the Matryx rails were just received and come with a price jump. But I'm in the weeds here on price, and I take your point. The oem setup is pretty clean.

Can anyone tell me the weight difference on bomber vs classic rails, is it significant?

How well do bombers withstand stump bashing :ROFLMAO:
Ahhh that's fair. If price gap is a little larger.

But yes ultimately the goal is a clean end product that will have the lowest risk of damaging something new going forward. I've seen far too many damaged skids / tracks / rails from poorly farmed together anti stab setups. I think more people end up making it worse then better.

They will handle stumps very well. I think in q55 class sleds the jump is only 2 or 3 pounds from classic to bomber but don't quote me on that.

Sheeesh. Bad luck on the stump stab. Impressive aim though ?

S
Feb 6, 2008
At least a guy has some options which seems rare today with a shortage on damn near everything. I agree the bombers are a little more plug and play, I just don’t think they look as good as the classic and I figured an anti stab was a given on either. To each is own. Hope you getter back together soon and good luck

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Dang that's a bad day on the mountain. Sorry to see this happened to you! I love getting the different opinions and perspective of others on the forum here. Once you get your feel here I'd recommend to call Ice Age directly and ask them their opinion. Ice Age is awesome and has always spent a good amount of time with me each time I've talked with them and have helped me make the right decision on what to do. After all, Ice Age has "Skin in the Game" and can be held accountable given the product they are selling:)

Good Luck.

BTW.... You said you ordered the Lynx Track.... what's estimated delivery date?

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
BTW.... You said you ordered the Lynx Track.... what's estimated delivery date?

I ordered through local skidoo dealer, system was showing a couple 155 tracks available at the warehouse in Quebec. Should be 1–2 weeks to reach me across the country. I'm northwestern Canada, so shipping times aren't likely relevant to many.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
If you want to go bigger track I have a 165 series 8 and pro matryx rails for sale !

I appreciate the offer, but 155 suites me pretty well. I like to wheelie and "jib" (how I see it in my head anyhow, others probably just see a goon riding poorly).

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

I decided to go with the bomber rails, cut for the oem anti-stab. A clean setup, and I figure the bombers may well prove worthwhile on account of my poor riding decisions, even if I don't ride that hard!

I also gave IceAge a call to get their advice.. they really are great, very helpful! Thanks for that prompt @nater24. Weight difference on the bombers isn't too big.

Lynx track just arrived today (week and a day, not bad) so should have the sled back together soon enough!

Premium Features