• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

El NINO >>> OH YA !!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
As long as some ocean areas stay cool should be lots of H2O

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf

ensodisc.pdf

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
El Niño means warmer water La Niña means colder water . A weak El Niño could mean more rain and westerly winds which would help LA which I can understand your hopefullness . It also means without a major up welling of cold water in the southern oscillation it will most likely continue thru next winter and bring more warm water to the west coast and continue the pattern , which would be fine if I owned dirt bikes . So what we really need is a very strong La Niña and bring a very wet fall to the west coast and cooling water temps to bring colder air temps and massive snow falls to cascades,Rockies ,searras ,and of course where I live !!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
El Niño means warmer water La Niña means colder water . A weak El Niño could mean more rain and westerly winds which would help LA which I can understand your hopefullness . It also means without a major up welling of cold water in the southern oscillation it will most likely continue thru next winter and bring more warm water to the west coast and continue the pattern , which would be fine if I owned dirt bikes . So what we really need is a very strong La Niña and bring a very wet fall to the west coast and cooling water temps to bring colder air temps and massive snow falls to cascades,Rockies ,searras ,and of course where I live !!!

My experience IMHO is the warmer water El Niño means the winter pineapple express dumps snow from Cali into NV and UT then up into ID CO and MT

Which works just great for the place I ride !

Below is the result of the El Niño effect:

Between13 May and end of month

1-3 inches around Los Angeles

Tahoe Mammoth 2-4 inches

Rubbies 3-6 inches

Colorado 1-3 inches

Southern MT 2-6 inches

Plus some areas will get over a foot of snow !!!

Plus this trend is expected until Jan 2016 !!!

p168i.gif

E

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

A strong EL Nino favors California.

San Diego foothills received almost 4 inches this week

Fresno CA received over 3 inches this week.

Do you know why a warm Pacific Ocean favors H2O to reach land for the west coast of USA?

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
So here goes ,now this is just my opinion and I'm not a meteorologist ,but I have spent 40 yrs fishing all over Alaska and job one is to pay attention to the weather . For Cali the warmer sea temps would be closer to land temps and the temp gradient would be closer and reflect in for lack of proper term milder off shore evening winds , which in turn would allow for moisture rich ocean clouds to be pushed ashore with westerly winds . So the cooling ,heating effect between
Land and sea would be more even . So that's the just of it .

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
So here goes ,now this is just my opinion and I'm not a meteorologist ,but I have spent 40 yrs fishing all over Alaska and job one is to pay attention to the weather . For Cali the warmer sea temps would be closer to land temps and the temp gradient would be closer and reflect in for lack of proper term milder off shore evening winds , which in turn would allow for moisture rich ocean clouds to be pushed ashore with westerly winds . So the cooling ,heating effect between
Land and sea would be more even . So that's the just of it .

Good try but here goes my take on it.

Clouds / atmosphere move from west to east because of the earths rotation.

A thousand feet of land mass elevation causes wind speed of about 5-10mph and temp changes of 3-5 F depending if the air moves up or down the mountain range. Air density changes and is pressured down or depressurized up.

High pressure systems rotate clockwise and cause less moisture because it pressurizes the moisture out of the atmosphere. AND I think not 100% sure highs force air down

Low pressure systems rotate counter clockwise and cause more moisture since the dew point is lowered. AND I think not 100% sure highs force air up

A high pressure system "ridge" approaches the west coast graps air over the continent forcing it down and out to sea and leaves it hot and dry. The high pressure feeds off the air leaving the higher elevation of land AND I think not 100% sure highs force air down

Now the high pressure ridge has happened for the last 4 plus YEARS over the ocean just off the California central northern coast. The high pressure has sent the pine apple express moisture to dump in the ocean or north into Oregon / WA and BC with not much jet stream and cold air so lots of coastal rain but not as much snow inland. The energy to create the constant high pressure system is OVER because of the warmer ocean temps.

Now if the water is warm and a LOW pressure system is over it and for the west coast purpose the low starts in two places .... GULF of ALASKA and the other around the equator by Hawaii / Australia.
The lower is moist system is termed the pine apple express and the north one a cold front.

The northern low will also GRAB the JET stream and drag it south and send the cold air to meet the nice warm moisture of the pine apple express ....Where these meet will be a release of moisture since the dew point is lowered by lower temperature and lower pressure.

And presto rain and snow on the west coast and the counter clockwise rotation sends it to CA , NV ID CO MT ND etc WIS MICH.

Does this sound reasonable?

For Alaska I think you guys get lots of moisture from tropical storms in ASIA.

index.php

index.php

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/progs/index.php?prog=24

Last edited:
K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
In more detail sounds good to me . We both can agree the last three for sure and four yrs have been just to warm . With any luck this pattern is changing and the jet stream will be pulled Down more westerly or coastal . Instead of coming down in the central and eastern states . To meet up the pine apple and plaster snow from west to east .

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
In more detail sounds good to me . We both can agree the last three for sure and four yrs have been just to warm . With any luck this pattern is changing and the jet stream will be pulled Down more westerly or coastal . Instead of coming down in the central and eastern states . To meet up the pine apple and plaster snow from west to east .

I'm with you !!!! :rain::rain::rain::rain:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
havent they said that the warm "blob" off west coast is supposed to last at least into the end of the year? creating basically the ****ty winters we have had for last few years?

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Blob

Th Blob is now pushed up to the the West Coast and is dissipating. Hopefully it will be gone by November.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
havent they said that the warm "blob" off west coast is supposed to last at least into the end of the year? creating basically the ****ty winters we have had for last few years?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...y/ensodisc.pdf

90%chance to last thru summer.

80% chance to last thru entire year.

creating basically the ****ty winters we have had for last few years?

I don't think El Nino was the cause of the poor snow years off the coast. High pressure systems have built up over the ocean off the west coast the last several years. High pressure keeps the jet stream from coming south bringing with it cold artic air to combine with the warmer moist air rom the equator

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

There is some confusion as to what a EL Niño will do for the west coast weather.

Here is a 3rd party article :

By Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist

May 17, 2015; 12:02 PM ET

An El Niño pattern has been contributing to drought-busting rain in Texas and the southern Plains. California may be next up for much-needed rain during the winter of 2015-16.

El Niño, which began during the past winter, occurs when ocean water temperatures climb above normal across the central and eastern Pacific, centered around the equator. The warm area is broken into 4 segments for evaluating how El Niño will impact weather

According to AccuWeather Meteorologist Ben Noll, along with impacting weather patterns around the globe, an El Niño tends to bring significant rain to the southern part of the United States

"The pattern of El Niño strengthens the southern storm track across the U.S., especially during the winter, spring and autumn months of the year," Noll said.

How stormy the pattern becomes is generally associated with the strength of El Niño.

"Currently, we have a relatively weak El Niño in progress, but we expect it to become moderate to strong progressing this coming fall and winter," Noll said.

The weak El Niño has been significant enough to contribute to heavy rainfall in a large part of Texas and the southern Plains and sporadic rainfall in California this spring.

"During an El Niño pattern, we tend to get a number of storms in the upper atmosphere that pump moisture into Texas and parts of the Plains," Noll said.

These systems bring multiple rounds of drenching showers and severe thunderstorms.

Portions of Texas have been experiencing severe to exceptional drought since 2012. The extent of drought over Texas and the southern Plains has been shrinking substantially this spring with some locations receiving two to three times their entire May rainfall during the first two weeks of the month.

As the pattern adjusts during the summer, drenching downpours will continue in coastal and northeastern Texas and will expand to more of the Southeast and the lower part of the mid-Atlantic.

Part of Southern California has received drenching rain from the pattern already. Two significant storms have swung through during the first half of May 2015.

San Diego has received more than 2 inches of rain this monthof May2015 , when a typical May brings only about 0.10 of an inch. During late Thursday evening, 1.30 inches of rain fell in one hour.

On average, the bulk of California's rain falls from November to March, when heavy snow falls on the Sierra Nevada and the ridges in the south.

Despite the recent rains in part of Southern California, other areas of the state have received very little or no rain during May, including Sacramento and San Francisco. While above average, areas from Los Angeles to Riverside and Fresno have received only about 0.50 of an inch of rain thus far this month.

Much more rain and mountain snow is needed across the state on a regular basis to break the drought. Rain is unlikely to swarm over the state from the late spring to the fall, even with an El Niño in progress.

The recent rain in California could be just a sample of what could occur months later.

However, as long as El Niño continues into the fall and winter, there is some hope for significant rainfall in California, Noll stated.

One of the strongest El Niño's on record occurred during the winter of 1997-98, when an average of 20-30 inches of rain fell on California with yards of snow in the Sierra.

A consequence to a strong El Niño during the winter season could lead to powerful storms with not only drenching rain, but also the risk of flooding and mudslides.

Rainfall from the El Niño pattern is likely to diminish during the summer months.

"While we can see a couple more significant upper-level storms through the end of the month, these are likely to become significantly weaker moving forward into June," Noll said.

With a long summer season ahead, evaporation rates will far exceed the rainfall that has fallen or will fall over the next several weeks. As a result, no significant drought relief is likely for California through the summer.

According to AccuWeather Chief Long Range Meteorologist Paul Pastelok, "Drought will worsen and especially farther north into California and the Northwest this summer."

Prior to the winter, the risk of thunderstorms with dry lightning will increase, should the pattern of weak storms continue. A small amount of rain will only spur on the growth of shrub brush, known as Chaparral Broom.

The Chaparral then dries out during the summer and early fall and would provide more dry fuel for wildfires, prior to the winter rain and snow.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
For California 1997-1998 had a very good snow year from the El Niño pattern

Mammoth Lakes CA received over 30 feet of snow in 1997 - 1998..... with a good base at 7000 feet

For 2014-2015 snowfall is less than half 97-98 and there never was any base to ride on top of fresh.

Several cabins had so much snow you gained access by finding the chimney dig down to the roof and enter thru a window !

Our cabins second floor collapsed with over 12 feet of California cement (little ice the size of bb's ) and a avalanche less than 80 miles from downtown Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
For California 1997-1998 had a very good snow year from the El Niño pattern

Mammoth Lakes CA received over 30 feet of snow in 1997 - 1998..... with a good base at 7000 feet

For 2014-2015 snowfall is less than half 97-98 and there never was any base to ride on top of fresh.

Several cabins had so much snow you gained access by finding the chimney dig down to the roof and enter thru a window !

Our cabins second floor collapsed with over 12 feet of California cement (little ice the size of bb's ) and a avalanche less than 80 miles from downtown Los Angeles.

I've seen some pretty crazy pictures of some winters down there. You'll have to share some of them if you have any.

Jeepbman

Premium Member
Apr 12, 2015
Cascades
Just remember no El Niño year is alike . It's still very early to know how this winter will go down . Very positive news the warm air mass has come inland .

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Mammoth Mountain, California
According to mammothmountain.com, that’s roughly a 25 to 30 foot snowbank in the parking area of the ski resort. That snow has been accumulating since the arrival of the first winter storm of the 2010-2011 season. (Credit: mammothmountain.com)

by Tim Ballisty, Editorial Meteorologist

donner_pass_zpsv0pyn5j8.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Donner Pass snow fall late MACH 2011

MARCH 2011

The Pacific storm track has been squarely aimed at California recently and that is translating to incredible dumps of snow across the ski resorts of the Sierra-Nevada mountains. A persistent pipeline of high moisture content from the Pacific hammered the mountains from March 18 through March 21. There have been some unofficial snow tallies of 100 inches (more than 8 feet) due to the recent storminess.

This entire winter season has really been an embarrasment of snow riches for several ski resorts throughout California especially around Lake Tahoe. Three Tahoe resorts, Sierra-at-Tahoe, Sugar Bowl and Squaw Valley, have reported that their season snow totals now exceed 600 inches. That’s more than 50 feet of snow!

Last edited:
Premium Features