• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Duners tunnel polishing "how to"

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T

tynels24

Aug 1, 2008
Volga SD
I just ordered my kit...just wondering if anyones tried their suspension rails yet? with some billet wheels would look pretty good!

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
I got the yellow and white buffer wheels and the tripoly and jewlers rouge I am going to tackle the project on my 08 first but was wondering on the stock running boards are the holes going to eat the wheels up how do you guys buff the rib and edges???

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I do have a question though. Do you wipe it down between the cuts or does all he polish rub totally out with the buffer?
Now that I'm actually doing this now I have the same question
Should I be adding compound before every pass to keep the surface coated
or do you buff off the applied compound then add more when you can really see it etching then add more compound
Or do you just keep going after the compound wears off? It seems to almost grind at this point.
Should I be somehow cleaning the wheel periodically?
Am I to be cleaning the surface now and again? Either, dielectric?
2012-10-05_20-32-54_742.jpg

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
shiny

after i got done with the wheel i went over it with that pro 40 liquid and micro fibre. all i accomplished there was ruining two micro fibre cloths my ma gave me and am thinkin of going back over with the white wheel

i did buy most of what i needed but am missing a few things. i needed a better middle step or at least a different firmer white wheel. and maby a better finish product

2012-10-06_19-52-23_821.jpg

2012-10-06_19-56-58_750.jpg

Last edited:
R

realbass

Feb 3, 2009
Russia, Krasnoyarsk
Hi guys.
Can you help me?

I tried polish tunel and i have some questions.
Please check my pictures.

A am using this kit

c6d42d3b58bb.jpg

overall view

72723de7f25b.jpg

as you can see at the top of this picture it still has some scratches

885ffaad735d.jpg

e7c3e2021393.jpg

How can i do polish this tunel like mirror whithout any scratches ?
Please help me.
Thank you.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
im no pro, are you using the same wheel with the white and red? i can see you have three wheels and i assume you are useing different ones for different compounds.
maby try a softer wheel yet with a finishing compound or the pro 40 i posted with a micro fibre cloth. then there is the mothers version too all should do it

R

realbass

Feb 3, 2009
Russia, Krasnoyarsk
im no pro, are you using the same wheel with the white and red? i can see you have three wheels and i assume you are useing different ones for different compounds.
maby try a softer wheel yet with a finishing compound or the pro 40 i posted with a micro fibre cloth. then there is the mothers version too all should do it

I am using different wheels. For brown i am using hard wheel, for pink i am using soft wheel. Also i ordered mothers polish, but still don't received it. Also i ordered pro 40 polish. Will try it. Can you recommend for me soft wheel for finishing compound?

or may be any advice?
Thanks.

Last edited:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
clean your wheels,( they have metal build up in them) and keep going the tops the hardest part

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
that white high luster zephyr wheel i posted is extremely soft and probably what your looking for. probably wont work with the pink rouge though. its too soft to pull any off the bar.
i dont suggest it but i held the bar against the wheel while i was buffing in order to make it sort of work and it turned out allright. made my hands hurt though

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2 Summers ago Duner came up here and did the full polish job on my sled.
For the last 2 seasons I haven't TOUCHED any of the metal.
I wanted to see how well a polished tunnel would really hold up over time.

Now its time for the 2nd polishing which will really tell me how it stood up.

I am really curious to see if I will need the polishing wheel, or if just going over the whole tunnel with a rag and some compound will be all it takes to bring it back to a brite shine.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Anybody know if polishing the bottom of the tunnel, will prevent ice and snow from attaching?

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The downside is on sunny days, you have to wear sunglasses all of the time.

Premium Features