• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt drive upper gear

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Im not here to brand bash or ask for what is better.
I do have a question though regarding the upper gear install with TKI.
Has anyone had issues getting that insert into the hollow jackshaft?
I did, it was too big. Idid muscle it in but now I can’t torque the hub to 20lbs. It spins the secondary if I try and tighten it up. Or, if I hold the belt and tighten the bolt, the sleeve spins in the shaft.
Honestly I’ve had challenges all week with this thing and I wish now I would have just changed the chain and gears and fluid and been done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Call tom at TKI he will help, great customer service. Ski

Yes, I’ve talked to him all week about a couple other hurdles. Its now the weekend and I’m trying to come up with something to fix this, remove this, something...options are slim until Monday I guess.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Get your belt tension close to spec. Apply park brake, then torque bolts.

Ok i can see this, but, the problem is the bolt, it will not tighten tighter than 5 ft lbs. I’ve held the brake, held the belt and secondary. The inserted sleeve seems to be turning but it won’t come out and it was a major pain to get it in.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Ok i can see this, but, the problem is the bolt, it will not tighten tighter than 5 ft lbs. I’ve held the brake, held the belt and secondary. The inserted sleeve seems to be turning but it won’t come out and it was a major pain to get it in.

Did you use the green loctite on the insert?

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
I’m not certain what tki uses for this insect. C3 uses a wedge insert so you can just put the Center bolt in, hang onto the bolt and hammer the wedge in with a punch. I would give the bolt a blast with a 3/8 impact gun. Impacts are good for setting things like that too. Just don’t get carried away with the impact. Torque by hand once it’s close.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
The TKI is similar. It is in. It really didn’t want to go. I had to do more than tap it in. Guessing that was the beginning of my problem.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Needed to scrap the whole upper gear work. Started new with a jackshaft sent from Tom at TKI. Everything went together as its supposed to.

Premium Features