• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dropping chain case?

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Hi I am wondering how hard and how much cost is involved in taking a 16' PC and dropping the chain case like the mountain cats? This has the tki drivebelt already and would like to keep that as well.

K
Mar 8, 2017
Just call Tom at Tki and he will get you lined out. You will need an inner chain case for a 17 which I believe are around 150. Then if you talk to Tom he will get you the new gear and belts you need and the template to bolt on. If you do a swap of your old belt drive with him it should run around $500 when it's all said and done if you do the labor yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
16 update

I did it to my 2016 ltd and am very happy with how it turned out and how good it works.
You'll need 8 tooth drivers if you have a 3" track and 7 tooth drivers now
2017 MC TKI templets
2017 MC inner chain case
2017 MC belt drive cover
You might need a lower gear ratio after going to 8 tooth drivers.
You'll also need good tools to cut and trim the tunnel.
TKI's templates and instructions are very good.
To mark the black tunnel (if that's what you have) you'll need a white marker of some kind.

image.jpg

Last edited:

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Chain case

There's been a few threads on here with pics and good info.
A quick search should get you more info.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
You'll also need the lower covers under the sled for both the brake and chain case side. Light modding of the brake disk cover needed or buy the mountain cat one. Your belt drive kit will need almost all the major parts exchanged for new ones other than the tensioner. Pulleys, cover, and even the belt are different. Lower pulley needs to be smaller two-piece part to get it installed so upper pulley needs to change to keep the same ratio. Like others said Tom at TKI was working with guys on these swaps so get ahold of him.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Dropped chain case

You'll also need the lower covers under the sled for both the brake and chain case side. Light modding of the brake disk cover needed or buy the mountain cat one. Your belt drive kit will need almost all the major parts exchanged for new ones other than the tensioner. Pulleys, cover, and even the belt are different. Lower pulley needs to be smaller two-piece part to get it installed so upper pulley needs to change to keep the same ratio. Like others said Tom at TKI was working with guys on these swaps so get ahold of him.

You are right.
I forgot to mention those things.
Like I've said a few times I've done this MC update to my 2016 LTD and love how it works. The guys I ride with will also tell you they noticed the difference right away.

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
How much of a target does it look like hanging down there?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
It's vulnerable. That's why I'm not doing the mod. I do ride early season and low snow locally with my kids. I know you gain a lot by the drop'n'roll, but not worth it to me "just in case".
I was looking at my 14 and it already looks like it's asking to get hit, I think I'd be really paranoid with another inch or so hanging down there.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I haven't heard of too many smashed chain cases on the mountain cats but maybe it's a bigger problem than I realize?

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
MC chain case

I can't remember reading or hearing anyone saying they've bent a drive shaft or smashed a chain case because they've hit something. That's not to say it won't happen. There's going to be a lot more sleds on the snow next year with the drive shaft in this location.

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
Its probably a non issue but I'm great at finding the failure point lol

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
They definitely hang down there. Maybe not quite as bad as the new Doos which there seem to be a fair amount of those with smashed cases if you jump to that side of the forum. My buddy's catches pretty good on the break over point on his sled deck. I'm​ running the cat add-on skid plate for some extra insurance with my conversion.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
thats sorta why id be worried about an aluminum shaft. unless its the big diameter hollow one like a doo, those seem to hold up. ? but i havent hit mine yet, i find you can REALLY slow down if you see a risky lookin bump on the hill. even in the worst spots. It picks right up out of the snow when you let off and ease back into it. not sure you could let off that much on a steep hill with the non-drop. I dont have much time on the old case sleds.
it really amazes me what these things will climb. im rarely ever WOT. but it looks like pretty significant surgery, if i had the older case id prolly just put 8 tooths on and ride.

Premium Features