• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Downed trees

L
May 20, 2013
Ellensburg WA
I saw on the WSSA facebook page that the kittitas county grooming council was looking for volunteers to help with downed trees. Me and a buddy are riding out of manastash snopark tomorrow (12/31) and was wondering if it was worth it to pack my chainsaw. If anyone has any info and has ridden there lately i would appreciate feedback, I don't want to pack my saw if i don't have too. I tried to contact the appropriate person but I didn't get an answer yet. here is the original post:

Here is a message from Wayne Mohler, Chair of the Kittitas County Grooming Council:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To All:
The recent snowfall has brought what we’ve all been wishing and hoping for the past several years. It has also brought some challenges with downed trees, equipment breakdowns, etc. Trail grooming has been difficult on many routes due to all the downed trees – and yes - they are still coming down. In an attempt to help get trails open, or keep them open, the groomers and volunteers have been working hard. Several clubs have put out requests for help for tree removal and a lot has been accomplished; however, there is still a lot to do. Following are contacts for various parts of Kittitas county to either volunteer to help out with tree removal or report areas that a groomer cannot get through because of downed trees.

For I-90 Crystal Springs to Easton – Jim Sternod (206) 948-2946
For Cle Elum Valley – Tim Penelerick (509) 649-2686
For Teanaway Valley – Richard Low – (206) 300-9562
For I-90 south (Easton to Elk Heights) – Dan Johnson (253) 606-0108
For Kachess area (N side of I-90) and Blewett Pass/Table Mtn/Red Top – John Simon, jksimon@fs.fed.us

For large downed trees (too large, too difficult or unsafe for volunteers to handle), trail sections where there is a high density of downed trees, or where the down trees cause a pinch point in the trail system (cut off access to other trails), please communicate with John Simon at the Forest Service (above). If John knows about these areas it should help him prioritize where to go first.

As of earlier today, the downed trees have been removed from the Teanaway trails, and work continues on most of the other trails. Keep in mind the reports are just snapshots of a particular time and conditions change rapidly. With the heavy snow load on the trees they will keep coming down.
Again, if any can help out, please let the groomer, groomer coordinator, or USFS know of your availability for any of the above areas.

A note on the Evergreen Sno-Park. State Parks is in communication with Kittitas county (who is responsible for snow removal) to plow a larger area and only leave 2-4 inches of snow depth in the plowed area.

Thanks, Wayne

Premium Features