• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doo 1200 MCX 180 Review

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Think I'm finally quite safe to post a review of the MCX 180 kit I have in my 09 1200. My machine started life as a TNT in a 120" chassis.

I built the machine intending to boost from the start. I rode a friend's machine last year (fitted with another kit) and knew I would be quite happy with it. His machine pulled really hard and felt exactly like a stock machine except with more power. Really impressive.

Over summer I came upon a MCX low boost kit. After doing my research I decided to go this route as it had built in altitude compensation. This was key for me since I get out to the mountains a few times a year. The kit is rated at 180hp with a stock muffler. I had a Hindle laying around from last season and decided to continue using it since Powderlite's uses it on their turbo kits with success. The kit istself uses the same 16T turbo as the 240 kit, but does with a lighter wastegate spring and misses all of the airbox and injectors the bigger kit does. You also do no decompress the motor or change timing, and the EFI box is the same as used on the Nytro 180 kit last year. THe boost controller is electronic and is controlled by the computer. There are no provisions for user adjustability like the Attitude or Dobeck boxes. THe only thing you can control is boost by adjusting the wastegate rod. Once that is setup, the computer automatically adjusts.

Installation was fairly straightforward. The instructions do leave some room for improvement. There were a few spots which I had to get some help from MCX and PG Yamaha in clarification. Other than that it went quite well. I took my time and total install time was about 12 hours as this is my first install. Mechanically, it's a pretty simple install, you just need patience and time. I could certainly see where a guy could run into trouble if he took shortcuts or rushed himself.

I started out running 94 octane fuel to be safe during testing. I'm running a CJ motorsports pinned TRA with the same heavier componenets as recommended by CJ's and Mike Knapp. Everything went together really well and the pins and machine work for perfectly. CJ's craftsmanship was excellent. I've run the same 383 belt since day 1 and now have close to 1100 miles on the machine. I went through a pile of clutch setups last year testing and put that belt through hell and it isn't out of spec yet.

From day one the machine idled just like stock. I ended up adding almost a quart more oil to fill the turbo and lines going to/from the crankcase. First few times out the machine was violently bouncing off of the rev limiter. As I threw more weight into the primary, it started to become settled until I loaded the arms with considerably more weight. Ended up putting a tungsten slug as well as a short set screw in a Dalton empty arm which were in the Dalton Brute arms...quite a bit of pin weight. Helix is a custom Northern Catalyst helix as I knew the same helix as the guys were using out East wouldn't work so well for my 24/46 gearing and longer/heavier track. I have a very straight shift and machine pulls quite hard. I'm to the point where I need to add gear as I'm geared too low. In 3' of powder I can watch the tach stay solid at any RPM and not bounce.

RIght now I have about 450 miles on the kit. I've ridden here in Saskatchewan at an elevation of 1800' and just came back from Cooke City where we were riding at close to 10K'. The machine automatically adjusted boost when I went to Cooke. At Cooke, I was pulling close to 11lbs of boost. Machine was running a little leaner than I would have expected so I dialed it back to about 9lbs and think I should shorten the wastegate rod one more turn as the mahcine would only pull 5 lbs here in Sask. The machine seems to run a bit leaner on the A/F gauge than I expected and most seem to run, but the machine runs great without any deto and I'm running 91. On full throttle pulls I'm seeing a A/F in the high 11's to low 12's. Power is nice and smooth without and surging. There is a slight amoutn of lag to the system, but it's surpringly small. I have friends with Midmount systems on their Yamaha's and response doesn't seem too different. In the mileage I've put on, I haven't had a leak, stutter, or anything. THe only thing I've done is adjust for boost and add pin weight to the clutch and am very happy.

Fuel mileage is really good. On our Cooke City trip I used about 2/3's the fuel a 860 in our group did. At lower elevation on trails I'm using about the same amount of fuel I used to use before boost.

I usually go through everything on the machine each time I go riding just to see if I can find anything that has loosened up. I haven't found a thing and even the chain hasn't required adjusting yet.

My only issue with the kit so far is vacuum nipple placement. MCX calls for it to be placed on the throttle body downstream of the butterfly. I feel at partial throttle positions there's some turbulence behind the butterfly that results in a bit of vacuum. My boost gauge is a nice gauge - Dyno Tune - and using a vaccum/pressure tester responds quite quickly. Unless I'm really loading the motor I'm not usually seeing a positive pressure on my gauge. I think putting the nipple downstream a bit would help this, but I'm assuming MCX has done their fuel mapping from this position and am hesitant to move it from that position. They have assured me that this is normal and my A/F numbers at parial and low throttle positions are fine.

So far so good. A friend who has a Nytro on Propane is now thinking he will build a 300hp MCX 1200 now after riding mine and seeing how much easier it is to throw around in the deeper snow. There really is quite a difference in handling and weight between the two machines. Don't know if one is better than the other, but the Doo seems to be a better machine for boondocking. Power he will walk all over me, but he's running close to 325hp, but for a rated 180hp, I think it runs quite strong.

I would definately do this kit again and would recommend it to anyone. The TRA that CJ's has put together for me had held up fine. I've taken it apart a couple of times to inspect and nothing looks out of place. I have less belt dust than I did when the machine was stock. Pretty good considering I did a few pulls out West in 3' of powder where the flipper was to the bar for close to 30 seconds at a time. I can see where a guy can easily get the itch for boost. I was almost itching for more power when I was up at altitude already...but coming back her to Sask and hitting the flipper on some hardpack really reminded me how fast this thing actually is and that I really don't need anymore for around here.

I don't know if it's any faster/slower than a friends FPP kit. We have fairly similar setups, but they both seem to feel strong. I only rode his once, but that was a year ago and can't remember enough to compare. We're hoping tog et out once or twice this year and actually compare.

Happy with the kit. Keep itching to pile more miles on here on the praries and out West as it seems like this will be a add gas, check oil, and go kind of machine. Sure there is more to be had in the kit once I get the miles on, but for a install and go, pretty impressive.

PC242309.jpg PC242310.jpg P1242647.jpg P1242649.jpg P1242653.jpg P1242654.jpg P1242662.jpg PB182173.jpg PC012233.jpg PC072244.jpg

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Looks great! Do you notice the weight over a stock Summit

Yeah, you can notice the weight a bit over a XP Summit, but it feels a bit lighter than a Rev Summit. It scales at a lb or 2 over 500 without fuel. Fully fueled I'd be looking around 560ish. Fairly well balanced and quite easy to pull over and hold.

I really think you can notice ther weight on anything compared to a stock Summit XP...they are light. :)

S
Jan 25, 2008
anchorage, AK
I am impressed you got that machine to even move in 3 feet of powder

that is my waistline

I don't know if I can buy that one but it sounds like your having fun with the sled

even renegade 1200s struggle in just 2 feet of fresh powder

so 12.5 AFR WOT at high elevations worked out well for you on long pulls?

what is your midrange cruising AFR on that kit?

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK

that is my waistline

I don't know if I can buy that one but it sounds like your having fun with the sled

THe machine works well especially considering it only has a 146" x 15" x 2" which is soon to change. I won't hide the fact I did stick it more than anyone else in our group, but once it got going, it didn't have much trouble to keep building speed. Definately wouldn't give a 163 a challenge in these conditions.

As for AFR's, be er saw more than about 12.2 and that was when the boost was a little high and I know it was running a little lean, likely not supplying enough fuel. Once I got the boost to where I thought it should be I was down into the high 11's and seemed to run quite well. It seems like most guys with the 1200's and boost like to run in the low 11's and even high 10's, but my boost is fine and I have no control over the mapping so I'm assuming MCX has done their homework.

Midrange if I remember right I was seeing between 13-15.5 on AFR's, but I might be a little lower than the 15.5...honestly can't remember. Runs good in everything from deep pow pulls to riding with the family at 20 mph for miles at a time.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I haven't seen hardly eny mention of the 1200's in the snow at all.

Did you ride this much before adding the boost?

How would you say it would compare to an older 800?

How about starting in the cold. If you live in Sask I would think you git somepretty cold temps. Does your gurl sleep in the cold at all? How does she start at -30?

I have no intention of going the boost route. I don't git west nearly enough for that to make any sence, but I am getting sick to death of 2 strokes puking their guts for this reason or that. I have some long rides plannedfor the James Bay area, and would like the reliability of the 4 stroke.

I am reasonably content with 135hp. Doo you think the 1200 TNT (with a track upgrade) would be anywhere's close to a sideways move from a Zx?

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK

Had about 700 miles before boost but still with the 146 on this machine and about 600 miles on a Renegade. Bottom end is imilar, but the turbo a pile more leg when the RPM's get higher

Without boost, the 1200 is pretty similar to the older 800. THe 800 may have a slight edge in top end speed, but in speeds less than 80mph the only real competition if the 1200 hooks up IMO is a 1000 SDI.

How about starting in the cold. If you live in Sask I would think you git somepretty cold temps. Does your gurl sleep in the cold at all? How does she start at -30?

Mine usually stays in a nice warm shop, but it has been outside before and has cold started very close to -30. It starts amazingly well. Only takes a revolution of 1.5 revs of the starter and the machine fires and idles perfectly. I don't expect the turbo'd version to be a whole bunch different.

I have no intention of going the boost route. I don't git west nearly enough for that to make any sence, but I am getting sick to death of 2 strokes puking their guts for this reason or that. I have some long rides plannedfor the James Bay area, and would like the reliability of the 4 stroke.

I am reasonably content with 135hp. Doo you think the 1200 TNT (with a track upgrade) would be anywhere's close to a sideways move from a Zx?

The 1200 in a TNT would be a upgrade over a ZX. THe chassis rides and handles better and is likely a bit lighter. The 1200 is fairly light...The only upgrade I would consider on the TNT would be more track as the 1200 has so much torque on the bottom is will spin almost anything over and will very easily outpower the stock 1" track on the TNT. The Renegade has a bit more cooling capacity. If you ride some trails that are a bit icer, go with the Gade and it's increased cooling capacity unless you normally ride in snow that can cool.

Please let me know if I can help with any other questions. Best mahcine I've owned hands down and I've owned my share of mods and stockers.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio

Had about 700 miles before boost but still with the 146 on this machine and about 600 miles on a Renegade. Bottom end is imilar, but the turbo a pile more leg when the RPM's get higher

Without boost, the 1200 is pretty similar to the older 800. THe 800 may have a slight edge in top end speed, but in speeds less than 80mph the only real competition if the 1200 hooks up IMO is a 1000 SDI.

Mine usually stays in a nice warm shop, but it has been outside before and has cold started very close to -30. It starts amazingly well. Only takes a revolution of 1.5 revs of the starter and the machine fires and idles perfectly. I don't expect the turbo'd version to be a whole bunch different.

The 1200 in a TNT would be a upgrade over a ZX. THe chassis rides and handles better and is likely a bit lighter. The 1200 is fairly light...The only upgrade I would consider on the TNT would be more track as the 1200 has so much torque on the bottom is will spin almost anything over and will very easily outpower the stock 1" track on the TNT. The Renegade has a bit more cooling capacity. If you ride some trails that are a bit icer, go with the Gade and it's increased cooling capacity unless you normally ride in snow that can cool.

There - I think I straitened that out enough to make sence of it. At first I thought that you totally blew me off. ???

I will post this and THEN read it. LOL!

Thanks for the reply...

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
Well more cooling is always a good thing. Yes - there are times when we are not riding in the snow.

I guess I'm not up on what the diff is between the TNT and the Gade? Is it simply a short to med track length issue? ... along with the longer cooler that goes with the longer track?

Same chassis I hafta think. ???

Thanks for the reply!

BTW - the only time my sled has seen 80mph is on the back of the truck!

Last edited:
S
Jan 25, 2008
anchorage, AK
you will feel the weight in the front of the sled with a stock trail skid

not like a ZX, this newer sled is noticeably heavier with a lot of weight on the skis in stock form

both on tnt and renegade this is true

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Well more cooling is always a good thing. Yes - there are times when we are not riding in the snow.

I guess I'm not up on what the diff is between the TNT and the Gade? Is it simply a short to med track length issue? ... along with the longer cooler that goes with the longer track?

Same chassis I hafta think. ???

Thanks for the reply!

BTW - the only time my sled has seen 80mph is on the back of the truck!

MX/TNT vs Renegade - differences are track length, cooler length, and bottom gear size. Top gears on the 1200's can't be changed if you want to keep reverse on it.

Chassis is the same, tunnel just a little longer. XR is the same chassis as the XP just a different engine cradle and front clip.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
you will feel the weight in the front of the sled with a stock trail skid

not like a ZX, this newer sled is noticeably heavier with a lot of weight on the skis in stock form

both on tnt and renegade this is true

We have a stock Renegade 1200 as well with some minor mods. It feels heavier with the really crappy narrow skis and rubber band of a track they put on it. Add some track and give the front end some flotation and it works alot better. Still not as good as a 2S, but respectable. Stock skid transfers weight significantly more than the Ez Ryde I have...can loft the skis at will with the stock skid.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca

that is my waistline

Impressed it moved????? It has 180 hp, a 146x2 camo track and a good suspension set up. It had NO problems handling the snow. And for the record it was 3ft deep, more in some spots

N

NITROSKIDUDE

Dec 12, 2003
SPOKANE WA.
Well not to pirate this thread but the ridability of these sleds are hands down easier to control over all the heavy sleds. i had an 05 RT with a 162 and Nos An 06 Apex with powderlites stage 2 kit and now my 1200 with a low boost fpp kit i want more boost but over all the 1200 is the most managable heavy sled i have owned, I am lovin it.

Here is a vid of it compared to an 880 Big Bore XP

Keep in mind the vid really doesnt show how steep things really are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB_y_rqszvk

S
Jan 25, 2008
anchorage, AK
It has 180 hp, a 146x2 camo track and a good suspension set up. It had NO problems handling the snow.

look at the numbers and the ratio for 180 is no good for mountians on 1200

renegade 1200

517 dry
+25 turbo,intercooler, charge tubes, guages etc...
+15 longer 144 track, extended rail, tunnel lengthened
557 dry

LB per HP ratio is more than 3

a stock xp (at 2.9 LB per HP) will walk all over this setup in the mountians and in the trees when it is chest deep

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
keep in mind the xp is 2.9 pounds per horse at sea level. That xp at elevation will be much less than a 150 hp, whereas the 180 1200 will be that hp at all elevations. Most guys running the 180 nytros claim they eat up stock and modified 8s all day long and with the doo being lighter than those I'm sure it would be worse. A 180 yammi or doo will be the next sled in my yard.

S
Jan 25, 2008
anchorage, AK
comparing the etech and fourtech

we run mostly close to sea level less than 5k elev

both machines handle and float similar in the bottomless

boosted 1200s have lots of potential but must be lightened for slow speed boondocking

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
look at the numbers and the ratio for 180 is no good for mountians on 1200

renegade 1200

517 dry
+25 turbo,intercooler, charge tubes, guages etc...
+15 longer 144 track, extended rail, tunnel lengthened
557 dry

LB per HP ratio is more than 3

a stock xp (at 2.9 LB per HP) will walk all over this setup in the mountians and in the trees when it is chest deep

With a lighter pair of skis and no fuel cans I scaled the machine with intercomps at 508 lbs when it was done. Add a bit of weight for a 154 or a 163 and you'll still less than 515 dry. Likely not much different than the IQ's or maybe the Rev based Summits.

The only place I would say the XP has a clear advantage over the XR is pounded out ditches or sno-x conditions. In the trees, the XP pulls over a bit better, but it isn't night and day different. I had an XP before this. You can tell the weight is more centralized up front on the 1200, but I can't say it limits me in going anywhere or doing anything I did on the XP aside from triple digit speeds in ditchlines. I don't feel any more tired in riding the 1200 compare to a XP except that my arms a bit stiffer from holding on to more power going up hill :)

Where the 1200 does have a big advantage is in the slow speed stuff. It engages below 3K RPM and will just tractor out of what it seems like anywhere if you have the traction to do it without using a whole pile of throttle to do it. I don't and by 4000 rpm I have track spin going on. Very torquey motor than never seems like it's working hard and just keeps pulling.

It's very difficult to compare this machine to a XP unless you ride one setup for the conditions. A stock 1200 shouldn't be compared to a XP in deep snow...it's not really a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
Well not to pirate this thread but the ridability of these sleds are hands down easier to control over all the heavy sleds. i had an 05 RT with a 162 and Nos An 06 Apex with powderlites stage 2 kit and now my 1200 with a low boost fpp kit i want more boost but over all the 1200 is the most managable heavy sled i have owned, I am lovin it.

Here is a vid of it compared to an 880 Big Bore XP

Keep in mind the vid really doesnt show how steep things really are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB_y_rqszvk

What size track under that?

Premium Features