• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

done with camso

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Quick overview on my setup, 2018 camso kit i got in late 2019, (was new old stock) on a kx450f,
bike has been flawless, happy with the power, ive done all the required changes to make it my snow bike, that is not the problem,
the kit on the other hand, holy cow what a POS,
ive ridden the snow bike on and off combined with my sled, I just recently sold the kit and bringing my bike back to summer and leaving it there and running the sled full time in the snow,
since ive owned the kit i have cracked 3 frames, (always in the same spot) one frame i got welded up until i could get a replacement, its broken 4 side panels, 3 on the left and 1 on the right, (broken one so called updated one) again tried to weld them but they just keep breaking, bent the rod for the bogie wheels twice, gone through probably 6 limiter straps until they went to the rubber belt style one, worn out 2 sprockets and one hyfax (no biggy thats sort of wear and tear but seemed early to me) one fit kit got loose in the frame and replaced that, and i lost count of how many of those junk drive bearings have seized up, one left me stranded on the hill and couldn't get it out for a week, all of this wouldn't be so bad if it was not so crappy to work on, the whole kit has to come apart to replace the side panels and frame, they use those stupid one time use nutserts to hold things together and when replacing parts you have to buy new ones and a tool to crimp them to change the panels or the frame, and the general lack of ride quality with next to no suspension and wobbly unpredictable feeling of the monorail it it just sucks..... about the only thing good on it is the track. if i had to guess i proablly put 1000 km on the kit.

I hope camso discontinues the dts kit and just sells yeti as i dont want anyone else who didn't know better who bought a dts kit to have to go through what i did, im personally done with snow biking just due to the incredible amount of maintenance required to keep them going, my sled on the other hand all ive done is pull the cord and drove it, over 3000km on it and all ive done is replace a bumper that i mangled. but i literally think i spent more time fixing my dts kit than riding it. i hope this is a warning to anyone else thinking of getting one-get a ts kit or a yeti if your going to snowbike, or just do what im doing and staying on the sled. if your wondering if im riding like an animal no im not, ill do the odd small drop, and pretty much do the same sort of things my buddies on the other kits were doing, bit im not what i would call abusing this kit, it must have been designed for the flat land or something, because it seems as soon as it looks at a mountain it falls apart.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Quick overview on my setup, 2018 camso kit i got in late 2019, (was new old stock) on a kx450f,
bike has been flawless, happy with the power, ive done all the required changes to make it my snow bike, that is not the problem,
ive ridden the snow bike on and off combined with my sled, I just recently sold the kit and bringing my bike back to summer and leaving it there and running the sled full time in the snow,
since ive owned the kit i have cracked 3 frames, (always in the same spot) one frame i got welded up until i could get a replacement, its broken 4 side panels, 3 on the left and 1 on the right, (broken one so called updated one) again tried to weld them but they just keep breaking, bent the rod for the bogie wheels twice, gone through probably 6 limiter straps until they went to the rubber belt style one, worn out 2 sprockets and one hyfax (no biggy thats sort of wear and tear but seemed early to me) one fit kit got loose in the frame and replaced that, and i lost count of how many of those junk drive bearings have seized up, one left me stranded on the hill and couldn't get it out for a week, all of this wouldn't be so bad if it was not so crappy to work on, the whole kit has to come apart to replace the side panels and frame, they use those stupid one time use nutserts to hold things together and when replacing parts you have to buy new ones and a tool to crimp them to change the panels or the frame, and the general lack of ride quality with next to no suspension and wobbly unpredictable feeling of the monorail it it just sucks..... about the only thing good on it is the track. if i had to guess i proablly put 1000 km on the kit.

I hope camso discontinues the dts kit and just sells yeti as i dont want anyone else who didn't know better who bought a dts kit to have to go through what i did, im personally done with snow biking just due to the incredible amount of maintenance required to keep them going, my sled on the other hand all ive done is pull the cord and drove it, over 3000km on it and all ive done is replace a bumper that i mangled. but i literally think i spent more time fixing my dts kit than riding it. i hope this is a warning to anyone else thinking of getting one-get a ts kit or a yeti if your going to snowbike, or just do what im doing and staying on the sled. if your wondering if im riding like an animal no im not, ill do the odd small drop, and pretty much do the same sort of things my buddies on the other kits were doing, bit im not what i would call abusing this kit, it must have been designed for the flat land or something, because it seems as soon as it looks at a mountain it falls apart.
Camso has already been discontinued , They were never built to be a contender and were a entry pricepoint. The suspension barely exist and Steel chassis is heavy, The track was the only good component, All we installed had chassis issues among other problems. , None of our built 2020 and newer Yeti kits have not had a single failure and require nothing more than periodic chain adjustment,

56pdlx

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2013
Edmonton

Camso install directions are wrong front straps should be longest for mountain/powder riding. Also track should run loose. Dts setup properly performs like a mountain goat! It’s all in the setup!

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
I dont think setting this kit up has anything to do with frames breaking or any other of the issues i had, and the kit i got you couldent adjust the straps they were steel cables, that broke every other ride, until they updated it.... that kit is a joke

56pdlx

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2013
Edmonton
Steel cables are also adjustable, read the install directions! My 2017 kit works great for $2400!

M
Mar 13, 2019
I'm still new to the camso but it seems to work so far. It outclimbs my timbersled and hasn't given me any problems yet. I do prefer the 120 timbersled for the playful feel, but it just blew a driveshaft bearing so I've been riding the camso and it preforms great in the steep stuff. The suspension sucks though. I also dislike the mono rail. The timbersled works fine with the twin rain and doesn't fall over in the parking lot all the time.

20220207_125535.jpg 20220207_125027.jpg

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Steel cables are also adjustable, read the install directions! My 2017 kit works great for $2400!
Ok i thought you were thinking i had the strap on mine, and yes i know the stupid cable was adjustable, it also self adjusted by breaking all the time, i would keep a spare in my tool kit, besides that it really wouldent have mattered where that cheap strap was the whole kit fell apart around it... i also forgot to mention i broke the bolts once that hold the swing arm on they sheared off flush up the hill and couldn't get them out, ruined that day of riding... ive heard of a bunch of people having that same problem... im glad mendomotox is having some luck with his kit, i dont want anyone else to deal with the constant issues i had

M
Jan 14, 2004
The 17 DTS kit was a POS, full stop, the 18 kit was a bit better but still pretty much a POS, the 19 kit is mostly there except the plastic disc brake cover is a POS it cracks and you lose your brakes, the 2020 kits had all the problems fixed exact same brakes as the Yeti which if you recall had no brakes for about 3 or 4 seasons, same parts. Camso quit selling the DTS because it was cutting into Yeti sales too much. Basically a 2020 DTS will go anywhere a 2020 Yeti kit will, but cost half as much. Camso was competing with themselves.

I still have my 2020 DTS kit on my backup bike and it will go anywhere my 2022 Yeti kit goes, its just not a fancy nor does it have the suspension. The transition from the monorail to the Yeti 5" rail spacing was seamless. When I jump onto a new TS it still feels like the same POS Mountain Horse kit (talk about problems I threw money at those kits for 6 seasons) I had in 2012, its the least wheel feel kit out there, its like a piece of plywood bolted to the back of your bike compared to the new Yeti or the DTS.

Each to their own I guess it doesn't matter just get out and ride what you've got, even a bad kit is better than sitting at home on the couch.

M5

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Camso quit selling the DTS because it was cutting into Yeti sales too much.

I dont think that was their reason to stop selling the kit, the dts was the budget kit and the yeti was the top tier, they weren't really competing with each other at all, if you look at the recall numbers on the dts they didn't sell very many dts kits at all, i would be surprised if they broke even selling them with all the warranty claims, in all of north amarica they barely sold 1000 kits in 2017 and 2018 put together. But i will say i was very jealous of the people who had yeti kits when i was on the snowbike, in hindsight i should have spent the money and got a yeti kit to start with and im sure the yeti sales numbers are much better.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes it was intended as a entry level price point kit , not a performer , The Yeti was at the top of food chain for many reasons. Camso was the heaviest kit made of steel that was available and now CMX has that honor as the heaviest by 32 lbs over the yeti.I do not bash products just truthful on the actual info , Do ewer homework before buying a kit is all i can suggest.

Premium Features