• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Disecting the axys in person

D
Oct 13, 2008
I personally feel that being shorter ( 5' 6" ) that a bit taller bar is nice. This whole leverage thing is over blown. I have never had much of a leverage problem.For shorter people a taller bar on throttle side slow single track ( or trying to build one )set up side hills keeps you from leaning over the sled so far. It's a fine line, but once you cross it your weight is all on the down hill side and without the height you cannot recover so easily. Now I in most cases I could recover, but if you are trying to build a track for other riders with less ability, hooking a big turn back uphill does not make for an enjoyable event. I'm willing to bet that in anything over 6" of snow most people would not notice a leverage difference just a comfort one. Here is a question. When does the effect of bent or straight arms over ride the straight body or hunched over body effect? You are out of position much more if hunched over and reaching than if you just have a straight arm. I have personally noticed I would rather have a straight arm vs. a hunched over body as my weight is still more on the uphill side with just a straight arm. More often than not if I am hunched over I also have straight arms or are so far over center it does not matter anymore. I can usually deal with it easy enough by hooking it back uphill, but with my wife always on my right hip it's not just about me. Just my opinion FWIW.

Last edited:

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I personally feel that being shorter ( 5' 6" ) that a bit taller bar is nice. This whole leverage thing is over blown. I have never had much of a leverage problem.For shorter people a taller bar on throttle side slow single track ( or trying to build one )set up side hills keeps you from leaning over the sled so far. It's a fine line, but once you cross it your weight is all on the down hill side and without the height you cannot recover so easily. Now I in most cases I could recover, but if you are trying to build a track for other riders with less ability, hooking a big turn back uphill does not make for an enjoyable event. I'm willing to bet that in anything over 6" of snow most people would not notice a leverage difference just a comfort one. Here is a question. When does the effect of bent or straight arms over ride the straight body or hunched over body effect? You are out of position much more if hunched over and reaching than if you just have a straight arm. I have personally noticed I would rather have a straight arm vs. a hunched over body as my weight is still more on the uphill side with just a straight arm. More often than not if I am hunched over I also have straight arms or are so far over center it does not matter anymore. I can usually deal with it easy enough by hooking it back uphill, but with my wife always on my right hip it's not just about me. Just my opinion FWIW.
The whole problem with the low vs. high bars discussion is everyone thinks there is a right or wrong answer, which there isn't. It's all about personal preference and riding style. When I went out to Togwotee this year I did not like my low pro tapers on my 15 RMK but the rest of the year I spent in the UP of MI and absolutely loved them. 2 completely different riding styles between the 2 locations.

D
Oct 13, 2008
The whole problem with the low vs. high bars discussion is everyone thinks there is a right or wrong answer, which there isn't. It's all about personal preference and riding style. When I went out to Togwotee this year I did not like my low pro tapers on my 15 RMK but the rest of the year I spent in the UP of MI and absolutely loved them. 2 completely different riding styles between the 2 locations.

Exactly. It might as well be the whole Ford/ Dodge/ Chevy topic. It all comes down to what feels good to you. Everyone seems to think that just because a paid rider says so it must be true. You could put them on any sled and they would make most of us look bad. It is there personnel skill and the amount of time behind the bars that sets them apart. Well money and free parts factors in too. Set it up the way it suites you best and ride the crap out of it. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you are hunched over your Bars are too short. If you can't be over the bars with straight arms then they are too tall. If you get pushed back on the sled to straighten your arms then they are too tall. Jmo so ride what you want.

Premium Features