• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Disecting the axys in person

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The new axys pro is flat out awesome. The fit and finish is awesome. The panels and hood are extremely easy to take off. After the side panels are open there are two fasteners to loosen and the hood comes right off. Those are the same fasteners used on the pro hood. The main side panel fasteners are extremely nice compared to the OLD pro. Even little things like the angled pull start handle. Seems more natural to me. The new air intake vents should be awesome with them mounted straight up and down.

The tunnel on the pro is about an inch shorter, height wise, by the front mounting location. If the sag is taken out of the suspension the boards are the same height off the ground as my airloc running boards that are up 2 inches over stock on my 13 pro. The running boards must be a little shorter because they bolt about 12 inches back from the seat base on the pro. The axys is 10 inches back. For reasons I don't know, the axys is 2 inches longer than the pro for the same track length. They also added new bracing in the front and rear of tunnel. I had one buddy crinkle his tunnel in front of the front mounting location. This should alleviate this problem. They also pulled the side of the foot stirrup in about 2 inches and sucked the plastic into it. The foot wells are vented at the top and closed off at the bottom so no need to buy new footwell vent covers to keep snow out.

Handlebar height
They had a couple with tall and a couple with low. No sleds had the mid bar height I was told. The tall bars are the same as every year pro that has been out. The mid are 1 inch shorter and the low are 2 inches shorter. These are the two heights they previously had for snow checks I believe. The hand gaurds bolt to the cross brace instead of the bars. The dealer told me they previously bolted to the bars. The new lower mountain bar is awesome. No more getting hit in the chest and it might be a little easier to see the guage while sitting down.

Now for the part that amazed me. Way less effort to tip it over on the concrete floor. That isn't the part that amazed me. What amazed me was that I could tip it up and have it at full on countersteer and while holding it with one hand, I could let it go halfway back to the floor and keep holding it. I know you don't ride them on concrete, well maybe this year we did some, but that tells me it has a huge sweet spot compared to the pro. The pro is harder to tip off of concrete and when you go past the breaking point it just flops back down. You won't do what I did with a pro.

Accessories
They had both size tunnel bags there and they both looked awesome. Just a matter of how much stuff you want to take. They are both low profile. The bigger one is probably a hair taller but mainly just a length difference. They were extremely easy to take off and on with the 4 lock and ride levers. The handlebar bag also looked really nice and wasn't floppy. It mounts really secure and looks to retain it's shape. They all had the fancy guage on them but I was not able to tell anything on them because all of the ecu's were out and they are not allowed to run. I was hoping they had one hooked to a battery. There were no sleds there with electric start. I was hoping to see where the battery placement was. It seems to me that there isn't enough room by the belt drive unless they downsize the battery.

Colors
All of the colors looked really good. The only color that wasn't there was white. The one that really surprised me was how good the blue looked. Both the black and the silver or gray had the same raspy matte black finish, on the hood, that most of the pros have came with over the years. I wish they would have been painted because my wrapped hood on my pro sheds snow quicker than my buddies with that same finish.

They had a couple with 3 inch tracks and chain case but I never opened the hoods on them. The 3 inch looks Identical to the 2.6 so if the 2.6 works as good as they claim the 3 inch should work that much better in deep snow.

To sum it all up, I don't think they left any stone unturned. It looks to be an amazing sled. Hopefully the motor is everything everybody is saying. If it proves to be reliable all the others are going to be left in the dust. The funniest thing about the whole show was that the Yamaha booth was right next to the polaris booth. It was completely packed at the polaris booth, some at the ski doo booth, a bunch at the cat booth in the other room and not one person at the yamaha booth. I am not trashing on Yamaha. I will guarantee they are probably 10 times the sled compared to my old t-nytro but I thought the Idea is to build what people want and not what they think people should want.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
Thank you for the write up! The Axys Pro is going to surprise a few on the snow! I have not been to a show since 2012. They were introducing the Pro with the fiirst belt drive 2013 model. The Polaris booth was full, hard to even get in to look at the sleds, the other booths were half to empty. Again it does not matter what brand you prefer, innovation and competition should push all manufactures to improve! Hope we have winter!

Last edited:

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
You should of jumped on the viper and rolled it over...I was super surprised, same with the Cats. What they changed in the front end was just about as easy as the axys IMO on a hard floor. All the sleds seem good.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
You should of jumped on the viper and rolled it over...I was super surprised, same with the Cats. What they changed in the front end was just about as easy as the axys IMO on a hard floor. All the sleds seem good.

Terry, did you get any pics? How did the orange look in person? Was the tunnel shiny and coated underneath? Thanks for the write up!

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I agree with everything you said! I noticed I could tip it over at full counter steer, and when I realized that, I tried it on all the other brands, and couldn't do it. I put one hand and one foot on the sled, pushed with my foot and pulled with my hand and I could keep the sled anywhere I wanted it, without even being on it! (And I'm not even very fat)
The tall handlebars felt slightly lower to me than my pro(which I just bought Friday:)), but one of the guys there told me, with the tall bars, that the distance from the footwell to the bars is the same, and the distance from the seat to the bars is also the same. And you definitely notice the 1"narrower hand position

Fit and finish was amazing! The hood and side panels were completely flush, there's an extra little lip on the side panel just so you have a place to grab to pull the panel open. The new fasteners are nice, but I foresee people breaking them, as they are completely plastic. The inside of the fastener is just a curved plastic arm

Another small thing I noticed, was the 3" models had aluminum rear bumpers, whereas the SKS had the carbon fiber, and I spaced looking at the 2.6" models bumpers

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Terry, did you get any pics? How did the orange look in person? Was the tunnel shiny and coated underneath? Thanks for the write up!

I took my phone in to take pictures but was chasing a 4 year old so I did not. Tunnel was painted except heat exchangers underneath. The orange looks awesome but it was surprisingly the blue one that stood out. I won't get orange because it is my bet that is what everyone is buying. I never noticed different bumpers. I never looked much at any of the other sleds. Most of the interest was at the polaris booth and then the cat and then ski doo. I don't even care about yamaha because all they are, to me, is a cat with a heavy motor. They should have made the ceo come sit at the show and wonder why nobody was looking. They must sell a bunch of sleds back east or in Canada because it doesn't add up ,here in the west, how they stay in business. I have a buddy, that is a dealer, and he is always complaining. I looked at the cat front end but without riding it I can't say. Not sure what width they were set at but I don't see how you won't panel out right now with it set at 34.5 .
If anyone wants to know how I had all those measurements? I took a tape. My wife was laughing and saying I was almost embarrassing.
The only thing I never really touched on was how narrow the plastic was. They pretty well pulled everything in or up about 2 inches. Now I believe the axys plastic would fit inside a pro's plastic. If you sit on the axys with your legs casually spread your knees hang out past the plastic side panels.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Does anyone have an actual measurement of the bars? From footwell to bars?

I had my tape but never measured that. I was interested in the tunnel changes. I stood on my buddy and I's 13 pros before we went and also a buddies 15 and the tall bars were the same. The low bars are what burandt was preaching and they gave the snowcheck option for 15 I'm pretty sure. I think from the tunnel to the bars is the same as the pro. The tunnel is 1 inch shorter on the taper than the pro so whether they lengthened the post to make up for it, I don't know but the ergos are the same feel. I believe the bars are 7,6,5. All of the pros have had the 7 with the option of 5 on the 15 I believe.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
I had my tape but never measured that. I was interested in the tunnel changes. I stood on my buddy and I's 13 pros before we went and also a buddies 15 and the tall bars were the same. The low bars are what burandt was preaching and they gave the snowcheck option for 15 I'm pretty sure. I think from the tunnel to the bars is the same as the pro. The tunnel is 1 inch shorter on the taper than the pro so whether they lengthened the post to make up for it, I don't know but the ergos are the same feel. I believe the bars are 7,6,5. All of the pros have had the 7 with the option of 5 on the 15 I believe.

Do you know what your current pro measures?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
This sled is gonna dominate mountain riding and if the motor is on par with the cat/doo they are going to have to make a big change to stay afloat in the mountain market.

I thought I seen a quote somewhere that Yamaha or cat was advertising paneling out was a good thing to make sidehilling more predictable? Lol

If the axys will fit inside a pro you must be able to fit 1 1/2 axys's in a doo and cat:face-icon-small-ton

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
This sled is gonna dominate mountain riding and if the motor is on par with the cat/doo they are going to have to make a big change to stay afloat in the mountain market.

I thought I seen a quote somewhere that Yamaha or cat was advertising paneling out was a good thing to make sidehilling more predictable? Lol

If the axys will fit inside a pro you must be able to fit 1 1/2 axys's in a doo and cat:face-icon-small-ton

I did see where they were making it out like paneling out was a good thing. On the 34.5 setting the spindles seem like they would be in from the side panels. I bet the cat is a great sled if you sucked the panels in and put pro boards on. I do know that when riding the cat they didn't seem to stuff the front end in the snow like the doo. Probably because you are 3-4-5 inches farther forward on the doo. The pro will be the bomb because I can't see anything you need to do to them. Just ride them and have fun. I'm sure you could change shocks but I am going to try the clickers to keep from spending $2000.

T
Feb 10, 2013
Idaho falls, Idaho
I'm 6'2''. I don't know how tall Burandt is but I would think the shorter bars would cause me to hunch over when standing?? Isn't that uncomfortable for taller riders??
What's the theory with the shorter bars, seems like less leverage??

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Burandt is 6' 1" and a string bean. I am 6' 1". It is not a matter of how tall you are it is also how long your arms are. My wife is 5' 10" and my arms hang 2 inches lower than hers when we stand side by side. I have a buddy, who is shorter, and he puts a 4 inch riser on his xm's. We argue all the time but he can really ride that thing so it is hard to knock success. So none if this is set in stone. Rider preference. My theory on the bars is if you are over the bars and your arms are straight you have more leverage. With a 4 inch riser it pushes you back on the sled to straighten your arms. In some technical situations you don't want to be back. The closer you are to being over the bars the more leverage you have because that is where the bulk of the mass is. I believe you have more leverage with taller bars when on your side but they are also quicker to throw you away when they go the other way. They also hang you out farther from your sled and makes it more trouble to clear obstacles. If you had a 10 foot tall 2x4 tied to your steering post you would have more leverage if you are up 10 feet but not if you are down 10 feet and reaching up. Hope this makes sense. You shouldn't be hunched over. Standing straight with your knees maybe slightly bent.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
terry THANKS :face-icon-small-hap

how do you compare the initial pull over effert of the Axys vs your T3?
(the XMs are easier to initiate than my pro i've noticed )

or is it more that once the sleds tipped the Axys sweet spot is larger ?

hope that makes sense

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota

Yamaha advertised that the sled panels out easier with the new suspension geometry. I don't think they even know how to use the term correctly. Makes a person believe they're trying REALLY hard.

just wish I hadn't just bought that holdover Pro now..........

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
terry THANKS :face-icon-small-hap

how do you compare the initial pull over effert of the Axys vs your T3?
(the XMs are easier to initiate than my pro i've noticed )

or is it more that once the sleds tipped the Axys sweet spot is larger ?

hope that makes sense
The axys is similar to the T3 in pull over but I bet with the t motion the T3 will be easier but you won't have the woes associated with the t motion and flex edge. The axys you can pull it just a little bit and hold it where the pro you have to pull it hard enough to hit the breaking point and when it goes the other way it just flops back to the concrete. No in between. I assume and have heard the sweet spot is wider. I bet the effort is half of the old pro.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I rode with the Rasmussen Style riders in January. They made me a believer in having the bars lower for most riding conditions. Maybe not down the trail but everywhere else, it works better.

Premium Features