• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dilemma: 2010 yz450 or 2013 SXF 450 FE

Y

yamaharida111

Oct 19, 2012
So I just bought a new bike for the spring/summer/fall months seeing as I spent all the time modding my yz to be a winter bike this year, but now i find myself in a dilemma, because this ktm 450 FE is a monster with 60 hp and its probably 10 lbs lighter than the yz. It also has the e-start, but no backup kick starter so idk if thats a make or break deal as well. Dont know if its enough of a difference from the yz to put my MH kit on it or not? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I highly doubt that KTM has 60HP. But i would still take it over the YZ. Supposed to make a great snowbike as well from the rumors LOL

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
The KTM is pretty darn close to 60 hp. My buddy works for Dynojet. They dyno'd a 13 SX-F 450 and it made 46 hp at the rear wheel with a knobby. So you are loosing a little bit because the knobs just come flying off. Also, that is a 4500 ft elevation, so I'm not sure if that's corrected.

09 RMZ 450 with exhaust on the same dyno made only made 40 hp.

I know a couple people that are running the MH kit on 13 XC-F 450s and they are all very happy.

I would put the kit on the KTM myself.

Y

yamaharida111

Oct 19, 2012
So ktm is claiming 60 hp with the factory/dungey edition bikes on the website (not me) ...but idk, its definitely A LOT more powerful than my yz and other jap 450s ive ridden, but with that it beats you up pretty quickly on the track on the aggressive mapping. Wish i had a dyno near by to find out what the real number actually is. What really sold me on the bike was that i dont really need to buy any aftermarket ****, besides a skid plate, to go racing cause its already pretty set up with all the bells and whistles. anyways ill probably end up buying a extra fit kit to switch once or twice this coming winter...... only got to wait 6 more months lol.

Don't let the lack of a kickstarter scare you away from the KTM. My 450 sxf doesn't have one and I've never needed it. I have a Ballistic lithium battery which puts out twice the cold cranking amps at half the weight. Nothing wrong with Yamaha (I own some as well) but the KTM is a better bike in the snow and dirt.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Word on the street (and I'm sure you will hear more about it soon from a Snowest Member build for this next season) is that with full exhaust the 13 KTM 450SXF can put out 64HP making it the most powerful bike in the 450 class. The snowbike races they had this year also tells the tale a little bit... the only thing reliably edging out the KX450F is the 13 KTM 450SXF.

I would slap the track on that KTM in a heartbeat.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Yeah, but if the YZF is already set up... I can see your dilemma. Not sure a few extra HP is worth the trouble. Plus, depends what bike you prefer in summer. Would be nice to leave the kit on one and not have to swap out every spring/fall.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Yeah, but if the YZF is already set up... I can see your dilemma. Not sure a few extra HP is worth the trouble. Plus, depends what bike you prefer in summer. Would be nice to leave the kit on one and not have to swap out every spring/fall.
I know, nothing is worse then having to work on your bike for 2 hours to put the wheels on!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Yea I'm with Ski-Dooin It on this one. I would consider the swaps to be a good time to run through the bike and do a refresher... you'll need it after a hard season on the snow. New plastics, new grips, check your bearings, grease the kit one last time, check your track, examine your chains and bushings... etc.

Getting ready in the spring and fall is another great time to keep the bike running strong.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
But then he ends up with one bike that doesn't get used. I guess he could sell it...

Y

yamaharida111

Oct 19, 2012
Right now I am split between which bikes I like in the summer, this ktm is awesome with the seemingly never ending top end power, but the suspension really isnt my favorite, somewhat twitchy at high speeds through breaking bumps on the track. i love the yz cause it is tame enough to ride all day without beating you up, and despite all the bad press the yz 2010s+ got with Bubba bitching about them... i really like the way it handles. But since the new bike i havent ridden my yz yet this summer, still has the MH kit on it, so maybe when I do what Rush suggested and go through my bike and kit i will change my mind. Anyways thanks for the input everyone!

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Based on what you said, use the ktm in the winter and the yz in the summer. Id go through the effort to convert. And of course, you always have the yz set up if you change your mind later.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If a guy was thinking of doing a turbo that YZ would be the ultimate platform IMO due to the layout. Rear mount writen all over it ,we all know the motor will take it. Thought Bubba might actually win one last week but.......... I wonder how much his bitching cost Yamaha?

M5

B
Dec 17, 2012
Well the bikes sounds great.... I like the color and other things of the bike because they are looking awesome.. and can you please mention which modifications you done on them.. Thanks for sharing

G
Mar 6, 2013
Do you also have to consider the cost of the fit kit for the KTM? If you do I just don't think a few HP is going to matter that much. Which one do you want to ride on dirt? Oh crap if it were me I'd sell the YZ and just run the KTM for both seasons and I have a YZ..lol

Premium Features