• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dexron transmission fluid

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Ok, ran into this question while changing my fluid - my 2002 gm owners manual calls for Dexron III.

I bought fluid which says it meets dexron, dexron IIIH, dexron IIIG, dexron IIE, dexron IID, dexron II.

A tranny shop changed out all my fluid 11 years ago using the same stuff I bought. I changed all my fluid about 5 years ago using this stuff.

Now, after 83,000 miles, I happened to call the oil manufacturer and they said I should be using dex III or dex VI. He said dex g & h have different additives and not meant to replace plain old dex III.

I did an online chat with gm and asked them if I could use dex IIIH even though my manual says dex III. He asked for my ser number and after doing some checking came back and said To use what the owners manual states.

This is confusing. The oil I have been using and just bought is Mobil I ATF multi vehicle. Like I said, 83k on this with no problem.

Has anyone run into this before?

Last edited:
R
Oct 9, 2013
Ok, ran into this question while changing my fluid - my 2002 gm owners manual calls for Dexron III.

I bought fluid which says it meets dexron, dexron IIIH, dexron IIIG, dexron IIE, dexron IID, dexron II.

A tranny shop changed out all my fluid 11 years ago using the same stuff I bought. I changed all my fluid about 5 years ago using this stuff.

Now, after 83,000 miles, I happened to call the oil manufacturer and they said I should be using dex III or dex VI. He said dex g & h have different additives and not meant to replace plain old dex III.

I did an online chat with gm and asked them if I could use dex IIIH even though my manual says dex III. He asked for my ser number and after doing some checking came back and said To use what the owners manual states.

This is confusing. The oil I have been using and just bought is Mobil I ATF multi vehicle. Like I said, 83k on this with no problem.

Has anyone run into this before?

Are you a duramax or 6.0?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features