• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dead Horse

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I thought I would bring this up again. Everyone should check their belt to sheave for optimal performance.
First pic is a new clutch with 10 series weights and a new 3211216 belt. Belt to sheave is .0555”.
Second pic is with TRS weights installed in the same clutch prior to reshiming the spider. As you can see it opened the gap to .080”.
We all need to make sure our belt to sheave is within spec. no matter if you run stock weights or an aftermarket weight. Best performance mod for the buck. I’ve seen up to .120” belt to sheave in production models.
If your engagement is high, hits hard, slips the belt, or groves the primary, check your belt to sheave measurement.

EEFFAA09-1637-435E-BACC-DBD92F07F23D.jpeg83EA4EA2-C4B2-458C-B178-9E294F758D7B.jpeg

U
Nov 26, 2007
Edit: disregard . Just re read your post.

What’s scoop with how you are measuring that in the pictures?

You using those dial indicators not feeler gauge?

Last edited:

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
not a dead horse just a reminder...I see the same, new clutches are around .050...I request the customers belt and set the clearance...most cases the second smaller washer gets real close to .020. I like that if to close a new belt might be wider....Also the belt defection is just as important....just keep up on belt wear...I see some clutches where the sheaves are grooved with to wide clearance...

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
What I use is a pto stub in my lathe and a live center.
With a very light ATV spring.
Pull the belt down around the center and collapse the primary

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Most guys would see more performance gains from proper belt to sheave, deflection and alignment then any clutching parts could offer without proper setup.

Only for the 3%ers. Had one last year that had 0.100” with the 10 series weights with a boat load of lead in and out of alignment by 0.140”. It was a real pile. But the resident forum experts tell us that’s good enough for who it’s for.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Only for the 3%ers. Had one last year that had 0.100” with the 10 series weights with a boat load of lead in and out of alignment by 0.140”. It was a real pile. But the resident forum experts tell us that’s good enough for who it’s for.
Is that why you aren't a very good rider? Your alignment was off on your clutch? That's a good excuse. I guess I'm such a good rider because the Polaris engineer's aligned my clutch properly. Lucky me! ? The only person that seems to be a forum expert around here is you. You have all the answers and we all give you loads of respect because you brag about your drug use when you were younger. We all wish we were that cool!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Is that why you aren't a very good rider? Your alignment was off on your clutch? That's a good excuse. I guess I'm such a good rider because the Polaris engineer's aligned my clutch properly. Lucky me! ? The only person that seems to be a forum expert around here is you. You have all the answers and we all give you loads of respect because you brag about your drug use when you were younger. We all wish we were that cool!
Haha I saw you on you tube Chadly. You don’t look angry all the time, y’all actually like a nice guy. Will the real Chadly please stand up?

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
@TRS how important do you feel it is to rebalance a clutch after shimming it to the belt and having the sheaves offset differently than they were before?
It will for sure change the balance...anyone who ask me I tell them to send their belt and we will shim for them. it depends on how much shim is added or removed for balance change...

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
@TRS how important do you feel it is to rebalance a clutch after shimming it to the belt and having the sheaves offset differently than they were before?
If your sheaves are offset, yes.
We all know the balance isn’t perfect from the factory, you can see that in posts from TJ Patrick or Indy Specialties.
Polaris recommends, in their shop manual, that the sheaves be within one inch from original marks. The spider can be repositioned in any tower to achieve alignment.
I try to get them to realign perfectly. My spider shim kits also include .010”/.012”/.015” shims

Premium Features