• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom chopped tunnel build. 2012 assault

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Here's my custom build from this summer.
Plan from the start was to reduce deep snow drag and make it hug the steepest sidehills. Here's a list of whats been done.
Tunnel cut down 17"
Fenders tucked in 2". Sidepanels barely fasten now.
Stock coolers cut out of tunnel.
Custom u cooler made out of CR extrusion...36" long
BMFab boards moved forward 1.75", up 1" inside, 3"out
Wrp rear tunnel supports
Rush bulkhead cooler
7t 2.86p drivers
Chain case mod for drivers
Anti stab kit
Custom front Tunnel supports
Trimmed seat down 2".shorter by 6"
Homemade headlight delete

The shorty cooler doesn't build ice on the running boards or behind the seat. Having the boards tipped 2" and raised keeps the track on the ground way better than stock...also keeps your feet flat when the sled isn't. I'm expecting this to be a sweet boondocking sled. I took ideas from what some cat guys are doing to their sleds and what rocky young did to that 13 rmk, plus added my own.

Should be a riot once I get in deep snow but for now it pulls some pretty tight donuts in half foot of snow we have here.

1218152004.jpg

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
More

Here are some more photos showing the mods a little better.

No slush or ice on boards like from stock coolers

Boards tilted and raised, panels tucked.

MountainFanatic

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2012
Wa
That's great but what's the point of cutting the tunnel off?
Wth do you grab when you get stuck, need to spin the sled around, tow a Christmas tree, etc?

Its so he can trench like a mother and do some nasty tail stands. I bet it works great, but I'm not sure about flaring the rails out and up. The only thing i would really worry about though is eating it and getting sucked into the tunnel, since its now possible to fall off the back and land strait on the track. Definitely wear a tether buddy!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Guess the new tunnel works so well he doesn't get stuck;) This will be the new fad as soon as track size dies out, who can have the least amount of tunnel...

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Seems you could have accomplished the same thing by just cutting your running boards down to half the length. They're the biggest factor with deep snow drag.

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
Nice work. I think you're ahead of the game on this one. Lighter, less drag all good things

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
That's great but what's the point of cutting the tunnel off?
Wth do you grab when you get stuck, need to spin the sled around, tow a Christmas tree, etc?

Shouldn't need back bumper. If I gotta lift I'll just have bubba help lift the other running board. Ski tugs are all that ever needed.

Volcano buster I have wrp braces in the back so it should be good and I stI'll have the snow flap bracket and some other suppers back there.

This thing should work sweet for drift turns, steep azz sidehills, hop overs, down hill turns, ect. Think of a chainsaw and why they don't have a guard on top of the bar...or when you took the training wheels off your bike, I'm ready for the next step. Lets see how many will follow.
Can hardly sell a pro these days might as Well try something.

Premium Features