• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crashed my Hawk this weekend

M
Dec 22, 2009
Plainville, MA
I went riding this weekend with a couple of my friends. They were all on pretty quick sleds, (a Polaris Rush, MXZ600sdi, Renagade, and a Yamaha SXV tripple.) We were having a good day of riding despite the trail conditions. It was the first time any of them had seen a hawk and they were very surprised that I was keeping up in the tight trails. 5 miles from the cabin we were staying at we crossed a bridge in the trail that was made out of an old metal grate. The carbides on my ski caught an edge on the bridge and stopped my hawk short from 40mph. I went about 25ft over the bars. The impact was so hard that it bent the carbides completely backward and unfortunately tweaked both main frame pieces of my hawk. I was just wondering if it would be worth it to try and bend them back or try to get replacements.

O
Nov 26, 2007
Gig Harbor,WA
Atleast your ok!

You might want to try and post a picture of the damage. I know a couple of guys have fixed bent frames on here and im sure they will give you advice on it if they have a picture to look at. If its too bad you might have to call the factory and see if they have recieved any more frame rails. Good luck with the fix and im happy to hear you didn't get hurt.

M
Dec 22, 2009
Plainville, MA
photo.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

I also broke the weld on the flange at the end of the support bar that holds the forks in place but that will be an easy fix.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
see TLKD's frame reinforcement kit in the swapmeet. With that and some straightening I think you would be OK.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173086

that would be a good place to start,at least you can use the frame reinforcements as a guide for the pull.. I would also add a reinforcement by using a rectangle .188 plate.. run a piece of ALU angle on each side of the inner frame rails, attach with bolts and span the gap with the plate.again threw bolting.I ran mine from just under the motor all the way up and tied it into the lower triple clamp bolts...That looks very close to what we saw a few weeks ago.. Glad you didn't get hurt...

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Here's my $.02, interested to hear what other's think!

How many frames have we heard of being bent already this season? It would seem to me that having a frame strenghtening kit is a must for every hawk owner.

I would think the left side should be replaced while the other side can probably be saved. However, you don't want to lose the rest of the season. Straighten both sides as best you can, install frame strenghtening kit and see if it will make it through to spring when you can do a complete repair.

I ordered 2 kits from Theirry several weeks ago, they should be here anyday. You are welcome to use one of mine to attempt to fix your machine. The kits I ordered have all 3 plates and the linking bar. Let me know if you want one.

Fist thing I want to say is that I love surfing these fourms on my crack berry! Second thing is that your pto frame is done! You will have to remove the frame plate compleaty to bend back right, but the aluminum will be very week in that spot. It might even brake off wile bending it back. Since your gonna have to take the frame pice off, you might just want to buy a new frame. The mag side can be bent back. Mine was bent about half that and I replaced it. Look at my Rudes build thred to see pics of my bent frame. I will sell it to ya if ya want! You might be able to bend it back. Your on the other hand seems to bent to chance the time and effort trying to fix it, just to get it togather again and have it so weak in the front that it will go again and maybe cause even more dammage! That's just my two cents from a guy that's all ready been where you are. Good luck what ever you choose to do! To all outhers that haven't reinforced therew frames yet. WTF are you waiteing for. Don't let this crap happen to you! Its way to much wrench time to fix this.

Peace out

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
take the pieces offered to you above.. go to a good automotive frame shop and have it fixed, looks to be a very easy pull..then add reinforcements, they will set you straight. you can retemper alu..
Or you could loose most of the season.. your choice..

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
OMG.
Definately the biggest bend I've seen of all bent Hawks. Now I beleive the 25' air length you caught flying over the bar !!! Damn good thing you didn't get hurt... 2006Sigouin also bent his few days ago doing an endo... Peter Woolsey from Kelowna was building one he just had a new frame for 4 weeks ago... Roo... and the list goes on...

I'd sure give a try at brigning it back but I'm guessing it'll become quite weak from the bending/debending (it might crack or "micro-crack"). Doubling or reinforcing the frame right there is an absolute must to me. And if you succeed to bring it back I'd suggest you go with a stainless steel doubling plate (just like I sold to Rude) just to give it some extra strength the bent/debent alu frame won't provide you anymore.

Question for you MIKE460: how is the top section of your frame ? Is it all good ? That'll clear the question on if a top reinforcing plate is necessary or not.

me too

Hi

I have bent mine last week just like yours but a litle less bent on the left side.Now the thing you have to do is is take the straight side with your hands ,and pull it back straight ....you will see it is very easy.For the side of the clutch,take a thick flat bar around 24 inch long and bolt it right in your frame or take c clamp to hold it.After that just pry it back to is original place.

You can bolt the round piece that goes between this two frame plates on the straight side has a reference for the clutch side.

When you are finish,install a renforcing kit from tldk or fabric your own.

T
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
Forks

Although you have plenty to think about as far as your frame goes, How do your forks look. Are your fork clamps alright also. After seeing the damage. Check your steering post. I would go through that sucker really good. looking for stress crack's. Put a wrench on everything up front for tightness, and a piece of mind. Good luck keep us posted.

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Mike, I remember you saying you were considering getting a 600. Maybe this is the impetus to act on that.

I've got a list of machines I've found for sale if you want to discuss.

M
Dec 22, 2009
Plainville, MA
Thanks for all the advise guys. Being a mechanical engineering major, I would have fixed this myself but I simply don't have the means of doing so. I ended up calling a local shop that has done some work for me in the past. They build rally cars so I figured fixing my hawk would be q fairly easy task for them. After looking it over with them they seemed pretty confident they could straighten it and fabricate something to reinforce it. They said I would have it back by tomorrow so I don't miss a weekend of riding. I guess we'll see how it comes out. I'll post pics after it's fixed. Oh and no the top of the frame appears fine and the forks are straight. The mounting plates that hold the tripple clamps to the frame are bent down but they will be easy to flatten.

M
Dec 22, 2009
Plainville, MA
Its fixed!!!

Everything is perfectly aligned and with the reinforcent to the frame I dont see this bending again. I'm in the process of making a piece to connect the upper and lower frame as well.
snowhawkfix02.jpg

snowhawkfix01.jpg

snowhawkfix03.jpg

Premium Features