• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cracked Pro hood - repair options

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
I just picked up a '13 Pro LE with the white hood and there are a few nasty looking cracks around the gauge/console area. I plan on selling it in the fall to buy a '16 but would like to fix these cracks to help resale. Sled is otherwise mint. Pretty sure i read that the material is TPO...what are my options?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
take it a part so you can get behind the cracks then gently grind a V under the crack then glue with a flexable 2 part epoxy i've used one for years
its called duramix #4031 you can buy it at an auto paint store
for added strength put some strips of plastic mesh in the glue

if your careful and take your time you can hardly tell its been fixed
and its really durable and will last

tip = use blue tape to hold the crack together while glueing
good luck

Last edited:
W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Thanks guys. Trying to avoid the 'Frankenstein' look if at all possible...lol.

Anybody have experience plastic welding one of these hoods?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i think the problem with welding is it won't be flexible then it'll crack after awile the glue is very strong and flexible

the epoxy is $35-$40 but the the gun is $50 used
the best option would be to borrow a gun or share the cost with some other
sledder

M

mt.aero

Nov 14, 2011
Steamboat
For plastic, especially those more brittle plastics, drill a small hole at the very end/ends of the crack. It helps to stop it from spreading. It's not the prettiest thing, but neither is a longer crack.

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Thanks guys. Trying to avoid the 'Frankenstein' look if at all possible...lol.

Anybody have experience plastic welding one of these hoods?

You can weld them no problem... The material if HDPE!! Just gouge out the cracks, use some aluminum tape to hold the cracks together and stable and then fill the cracks, sand it up, paint it, and it'll look like new. Also if there is a good plastic shop in your area, they'll do plastic welding as well..
I purchased as Mini-weld airless plastic welder from Mechanics Tool Warehouse a couple years ago; it only cost $160 back then... With having toys, I have used countless times and it has paid for itself over and over...
I welded my hood once and side panel as well; it has never broken since!!

https://www.mechanicstoolswarehouse.com/Mini-Weld-Model-7-Welder-P179844.aspx

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The painted hoods (white, blue, etc) are TPO...ThermoPlastic Olefin...

Take it to your local body shop... and they can repair and paint it for a decent price if they are good guys.... those hoods are pricey.

Otherwise... you can repair it... Google TPO bumper repair... and check youtube as well.

Good luck.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I cracked up my hood this year too. It's a black hood, so it's HDPE. As stated earlier, any other color is TPO. I'm cheap, so I just picked up some CA (superglue) at the hardware store that comes with a primer pen. I think Loctite makes it. It's supposed to work on polyethylene. It bonded it but we'll see how it holds up...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
My paint guy recommended this stuff for basic repairs

http://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Products-7061-STRONGHOLD-Plastic/dp/B00397NQN4/

You'll still need to paint it.

He also suggested using more mesh/filler on the backside.

Prep is Super important... you need to clean, clean, clean before the repair

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/No4G88iqDss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="800" height="600" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0gnpavYvv08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
L
Jan 7, 2013
Casper Wyoming
For plastic, especially those more brittle plastics, drill a small hole at the very end/ends of the crack. It helps to stop it from spreading. It's not the prettiest thing, but neither is a longer crack.

THIS ^^^ regardless of weather you epoxy, bondo, super glue, zip tie or whatever. . . a hole at the end of the crack is the only way you will keep it from spreading.

Premium Features