• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Collapsing turbo intake boot.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Has anyone ran into this?

Or actually verified it’s a problem?

@TRS this might be part of the high altitude “flat” power you were seeing?

C59A4646-0FA1-4BDD-90AA-12BA3DD28E59.png

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
Haven’t had a problem with mine yet got 180 miles on already only got it on Wednesday 1/5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
That was the first thing i noticed $70 is a little steep. $25 would be in range. Woundn't some silicone hose that was performed work? The above is a simple fix.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
We have run in to this in deep snow, and are sleeving the turbo intakes with 2 pieces of pipe cut at the appropriate angles. All good after that. This solution looks like it would work fine as well. Ideally needs a firmer OEM "exo skeleton" on that piece.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
We have run in to this in deep snow, and are sleeving the turbo intakes with 2 pieces of pipe cut at the appropriate angles. All good after that. This solution looks like it would work fine as well. Ideally needs a firmer OEM "exo skeleton" on that piece.
Sleeve inside or outside?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Sleeve inside or outside?
Inside. I imagine eventually someone or Polaris will have a whole new piece. We used quite a bit more material - but the product above probably works fine at a glance - if you think it's too $$, you can home-build one easily ?‍♂️

Seems the pipe is most likely to collapse in deep snow, with some snow on the vents, at large throttle openings. If you're missing any of those items, you likely won't have any issue.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
How did this ever get by Poo R&D - it's so simple - they've been testing this for years in pow - or was it a late change due to cost or availability? Someone knows. Idiotic. But these guys do/did make glued a-arms, carbon rear grab bars, footwells that break ankles, mt sleds without tethers, stuck vent oil caps, disposable ski dampers, and throttles that stick.

Price wise, just like Ferrari, if you can afford a Boost...

K
Nov 6, 2013
If the pipe doesn't collapse to deal with the reduced/lack of air intake flow caused by plugged intake screens, then something else will. Feels like an improvement in air intake surface area would be of better benefit, deal with the flow restriction not suck on the milkshake harder with a small capri-sun straw..... No one ever cheats physics and wins. No one. ?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Have you actually squeezed the pipe? It’s quite flexible…much more than I would have guessed. Adding intake area may help as well, but I could definitely see it distorting regardless. Either way this is working…proof is in the pudding. We have had some *very* deep snow and some serious throttle squeezers to test…so far so good. I suppose you still won’t get away without swiping the vents in vent-deep snow …just like any sled.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Wouldn’t a couple hose clamps on the outside so it can’t start to deform do the trick?
I tried this and it still collapses.

I think it needs more intake surface area and a stiff insert inside the boot. (Or a replacement silicone stiff boot)

Sounds like someone clapping their hands loudly under the hood and the sled noticeably slows.

Premium Features