• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching the P-22 Boost

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
With the new clutch, has anybody purchased new components, modified, are they available, or is anybody testing? I thought I heard Jack already has something in the works? Tony?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Jack has parts. He shipped them with my buddy's boost. My buddy hasn't installed them yet. I don't think the stock clutching is that bad. I think its good for our elevation. My sled pulls 8450 all day. As snappy as a turbo can be off the bottom now that it's through break in.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
With the new clutch, has anybody purchased new components, modified, are they available, or is anybody testing? I thought I heard Jack already has something in the works? Tony?

Jack and EPI have a weight that has been tested.
I’m still working on a new weight. The P22 has a fair amount of issues to overcome. In my opinion.
Testing will take some time.
Jacks weight.495ECA68-E546-4928-974F-8D5CB2155E7D.jpeg

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
The P22 and the boost have a strange set up. The primary has 78 gram weights, and a 165/310 spring. Based off of last year and the slip it had it will require less spring and a weight that is more tip heavy. I will be using the EPI 74g BBPT weights with a 145/280 spring. The helix is too much for that much weight and doesnt have enough spring pressure. If you look at the graphs the stock set up is prone to slip on initial engagement and past 0.6" of shift with less then 400lbs of belt pressure. Basically where you will be when climbing under WOT. If you look at the belt pressure on the helix that i will be running vs the stock, it has much better belt hold and will have stronger mid range while maintaining top end pull and RPM much better then the final 44 angle on the stock helix. Lots of good information here.

IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg

D
Dec 15, 2020
The P22 and the boost have a strange set up. The primary has 78 gram weights, and a 165/310 spring. Based off of last year and the slip it had it will require less spring and a weight that is more tip heavy. I will be using the EPI 74g BBPT weights with a 145/280 spring. The helix is too much for that much weight and doesnt have enough spring pressure. If you look at the graphs the stock set up is prone to slip on initial engagement and past 0.6" of shift with less then 400lbs of belt pressure. Basically where you will be when climbing under WOT. If you look at the belt pressure on the helix that i will be running vs the stock, it has much better belt hold and will have stronger mid range while maintaining top end pull and RPM much better then the final 44 angle on the stock helix. Lots of good information here.

View attachment 382264
View attachment 382265
View attachment 382266
WOW. I love this.. Please tell more! I hope people like yourself and TRS can dial this P22 in soon! I love this info but my nerd senses haven't quit evolved like you and TRS..:love::LOL::ROFLMAO: I'll just give you my wallet when it's figured out!:cool::ROFLMAO:

Squirreler

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2018

View attachment 382264
View attachment 382265
View attachment 382266

Any ride reports of this setup yet? I see a few others have clutch kits out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
My thoughts.
On a new clutch you can remove the spider from the stationary with very little heat from a heat gun. The manual states to use a puller, it’s not needed.
If you have 300 miles on your P22 you can remove the spider by hand without any difficulty.
I believe the aluminum spider is wearing when it becomes loose on the steel spline from heat transfer and gets worse as miles add up. The big twin hammer affect doesn’t help.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
This P22 surfaced on Facebook.
I had concern about this early in the game.View attachment 383339View attachment 383340
I am betting that is a clutch from a side by side as the P22 is adapted from them. Little early to see that much corrosion unless guy dragged sled behind his truck in highway slush for 100 miles and parked it in a shed for a week. I have seen lots of pics of SxS in deep water.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I am betting that is a clutch from a side by side as the P22 is adapted from them. Little early to see that much corrosion unless guy dragged sled behind his truck in highway slush for 100 miles and parked it in a shed for a week. I have seen lots of pics of SxS in deep water.

That’s a possibility, but I have another pic of the same issue on a sled.
The sled could have spent the night out and was drug into a shop to thaw out. We all know what kind of moisture gets under the hood from towing.
Time will tell.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Wow that is early for major failures. 18+ Cat Team primary with the bearing at least got a season or more on snow before you started hearing about those exploding. Not that it wasn't happening sooner.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
Any ride reports of this setup yet? I see a few others have clutch kits out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finally got out this weekend. Initial thoughts are RPM is all over the place. Peak as high as 8550 and drops to 8100. I believe Max HP is 8200-8300. A slightly softer primary spring and a different helix will be going in on the next trip and see if peak RPM is more consistent. Tried a 150/310 and helped a bit, I think a bit softer still (145/280) and a full progressive helix will help with over rev. Overall, the sled worked pretty good. Still slower then my axys 800 at 5lbs.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Hmm. What is going on in that 2nd pic Tony? Why are we seeing a pic of what appears to be an inner roller bearing race without the balls and the outer race attached? I don’t see any pitting or other obvious signs of bearing failure. I’ve destroyed many a roller bearings and bushings disassembling gear boxes and transmissions over the years. Some my fault, some due to other failures that endured further part damage from disassembly.

Does the roller bearing require trashing to disassemble in the P22?

Given those 2 pics, it’s very possible the damage we are seeing is from disassembly without proper knowledge or tools. It would not be realistic to blame the clutch at this point. Could have been an issue prior that required disassembly but there isn’t enough to blame design or anything else from these 2 pics.

However, what is concerning to me is your findings on Spider retention or the lack thereof. That could be something not good.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hmm. What is going on in that 2nd pic Tony? Why are we seeing a pic of what appears to be an inner roller bearing race without the balls and the outer race attached? I don’t see any pitting or other obvious signs of bearing failure. I’ve destroyed many a roller bearings and bushings disassembling gear boxes and transmissions over the years. Some my fault, some due to other failures that endured further part damage from disassembly.

Does the roller bearing require trashing to disassemble in the P22?

Given those 2 pics, it’s very possible the damage we are seeing is from disassembly without proper knowledge or tools. It would not be realistic to blame the clutch at this point. Could have been an issue prior that required disassembly but there isn’t enough to blame design or anything else from these 2 pics.

However, what is concerning to me is your findings on Spider retention or the lack thereof. That could be something not good.
It’s just a narrower portion of the center steel portion of the clutch.

Not a ball bearing inner race.

The pictures just show the aluminum splines sheared off and the results.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It’s just a narrower portion of the center steel portion of the clutch.

Not a ball bearing inner race.

The pictures just show the aluminum splines sheared off and the results.

That makes sense. Is that a machine surface that rides on the bushing? Sure looks like an inner race on my end, maybe the experts can help me with a new phone.

That spline area definitely needs some case hardening

I haven’t torn into one of these yet.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
That makes sense. Is that a machine surface that rides on the bushing? Sure looks like an inner race on my end, maybe the experts can help me with a new phone.

That spline area definitely needs some case hardening

I haven’t torn into one of these yet.
Looks like the cast aluminum just shears away in the outer sheave. ?

Also Looks like the bushing slides on the roller bearing.

Premium Features