• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Kits for G5/Lynx Turbos for back country riding

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
21 top gear will hold to about 16~15ish mph
20 top gear should hold to about 13~12mph
19 top gear should hold to about 10~9mph
...to make the engine braking hold another mph lower per gear, then tighten up the belt deflection more. Can make it to the point of almost squealing the belt, THEN Back off the deflection just a tad so the belt does not squeal.

Joe, quick question .... If I was looking to accomplish these things what is the total clutching/gearing package you'd recommend for the following sled/rider:

Rider - Intermittently aggressive back country rider, usually ride 10-12k, on occasion go down to 8k .... 300 lb ride weight + tail bag of gear so figure 330 lbs total load on sled ...
Sled - 2023 Lynx Shredder DS 4100 850 Turbo
Target Riding Style - Tight Tree Riding in deep snow - Would ideally like lower engagement than stock and perhaps a bit quicker back shift to avoid porpoising on side hills of moderte inclination angle. Occassional 'hill cross style bash fest' if I drink a couple beers and decide to pretend I'm a RMSHA racer to impress the only chick in the riding group.

Would be willing to re-gear sled and try whatever clutching setup you'd recommend :p

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Buddy, the standard clutch kit is a great place to start; that's the icing on the cake. Try it with 29~3000 rpm engage speed.
A 20 top gear [1 tooth lower] would be the cherry on the icing.

For 10~12k feet, you'll set the pivot bolt weight for 11k right in the middle of that 2000ft range. @ 11k.ft youre down -15hp [165hp] You can run a 2000ft range and not have to touch the clicker.

For 8000ft at maximum power 180hp, then i would change the pivot bolt weight to pull on the 180hp.

If you run 8 to 10, then can set the bolt for 9000 ft and can run a 2000ft range and not have to touch the clicker.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Hey yall, quick question about gearing …. What gearing combinations work with the stock chain? Can I go down 2 teeth on top and keep the stock chain? I think I’m gonna go ahead and get all the parts coming in for this but it seems like gearing down will really be a big benefit with a lower engagement RPM

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Hey yall, quick question about gearing …. What gearing combinations work with the stock chain? Can I go down 2 teeth on top and keep the stock chain? I think I’m gonna go ahead and get all the parts coming in for this but it seems like gearing down will really be a big benefit with a lower engagement RPM

You can use the stock chain with a 19T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i've run the stock chain with a 19T on all of my sleds which are/were 165 freerides from '20-'23. all use ibackshift clutching. the sprocket change performance difference is not huge but is noticeable and worth the little bit of time and money.

Premium Features