• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch - Clutching - Install / Removal / Maintenance on 800etec (Do it yourself)

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
A little bit more detail on this video for the 800Etec.

I dont script, rather go "off the cuff" (as you'd see in video #2/5) with no preparation other than to try and think correctly what im talking about. haha.
I specialize in "barnyard" Don't expect anything fancy, I ain't like that.

No need to pay attention to the actual flyweight gram amount and spring force used - rather the principle of maintenance for your own parts.

Hope I did everything correctly.

I got remarks from guys saying "I would never let you work on my clutch"

My response is "Ahh that's nothing, it gets worse"

Video part 1/5

Video part 2/5

Video part 3/5

Video part 4/5

Video part 4/5

Question)So what is the best way to split the primary sheaves if you DON'T have a clutch puller tool?
Answer)if you use the primary clutch bolt, you are taking a chance of bending it.
if you use the puller, even a bent puller remains in the toolbox.
installing a bent clutch bolt from splitting primary is just asking for trouble

Question)Just not sure about the 'mark' on the 800 crank being a 'primary clutch alignment registration point'. It's not a big deal or anything, however I've never used it to align my primary and I don't think many have 'beat the hell' out of a 2012 800 (on juice) like I have, so maybe the crank is neutral from the factory and doesn't require the clutch to balance it
Answer)Video #2 at 6:41 (shop manual comments)

primary_2012_align.jpg

I did a "redneck" vibration measurement on the crank of a 2012 FR 154 at www.dmax.ca

Test 1) Primary on "The mark"
With the engine running at idle i measured the "handlebar" vibrating, displacing to and fro. It had about 3/8 inch displacement.
Speed up engine to engagement
Standing on tunnel and can feel sled vibrating with a certain amplitude.

Test 2)
Removed primary and installed at 90 degrees to "the mark".
With the engine running at idle i measured the "handlebar" vibrating, displacing to and fro. It had about 7/16 inch displacement however resonating from 3/8 to 7/16
Standing on tunnel and can feel sled vibrating with a certain more amplitude than test 1

Test 3)Removed primary and installed at 180 degrees to "the mark".
With the engine running at idle i measured the "handlebar" vibrating, displacing to and fro. It had about 7/16 inch displacement
Standing on tunnel and can feel sled vibrating with a certain more amplitude than test 1

Test 4) Primary on "The mark"
With the engine running at idle i measured the "handlebar" vibrating, displacing to and fro. It had about 3/8 inch displacement.
Standing on tunnel and can feel sled vibrating with a certain amplitude back like test 1

Our friend Darrel has a riding buddy with an 08 summit. I wish I could remember his name, we chatted about a month about on this very subject. He took the time, effort, energy to clock his 08 crankshaft then dial in the primary clutch to the crankshaft. Taking the time to remove / install the primary around 10~12 places on the crankshaft he did his own measuring and found a location where the clutch revealed the lowest vibration in the handlebars, footwells and overall sled feel. Fascinating discussion and comments it's as smooth as silk compared to just willy-nilly putting the clutch on by chance. I wish I could find out who he was so he could post his findings, its a great listen.

Last edited:
Premium Features