• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cleaning New Belt? Anyone do this?

nos800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Have never really had belt problems with any summit, but was told to clean my belts when I bought a new '15 sled. Was told to soak belt in dawn dish soap to get all oil off of belts. Also to keep clutches cleaner. Does this work? I really don't want to have to buy a couple new ones, if soaking them in soap wrecks them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
All new belts have a coating on them to get them out of the mould. Scrub the belt in warm soapy water and you're good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I cleaned and scrubbed one and thought it took forever to break in and it didn't last that long. My new method is letting the gf break in a new belt and swapping it out without her knowing. lol

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Gates CVT belts available at unbelievable prices! Did you know Gates belts are cut using a water jet rather than formed in a mold? This means there is no need to pre-wash the mold release agent off your Gates belt like it is recommended with other belts. Gates CVT belts come in the OEM equivalent G-Force belt and the upgraded G-Force C12 Carbon belt.
Read more about Gates belts:
http://www.gates.com/industries/recreation/powersport

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Always gently rub a new belt against ferret taint.
Not sure if it lengthens the life of the belt or the clutches for that matter, but you will have all kinds of ferrets following you around.

Last edited:

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
Either give them a good wash or I throw them on the roof of the tinned shed in the summer for a couple of hot days to "cook" the oil off.

Seemed to work with my AC Wildcat belts this summer ended up buying a sled belt this summer and trying it to see if it helps. Face on the parts man was a little confused when I bought a belt for a sled when it was 95 out. :face-icon-small-ton

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I wash 'em if I remember to. Otherwise I just throw them on and go. I believe the 115 belt on Polaris is a cut belt (no release agent?) as opposed to molded. The 080 is a molded belt.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I know I am suppose to BUT, honestly I never do. My belts last a long dam time unless somebody thinks they can just jump on my sled and forget the brake is on:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features