• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cleaning crank case halves

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I didn't know where else to ask this question so I thought no where better then to ask some of you guys that do this kinda thing all the time. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my daughters indy lite 340 and I split the case to put new seals in. My question is, what's the easiest way to remove the old honda-bond or yamma-bond gasket material without damaging the cases? I've never done one completely by myself so that's the reason I ask. Tore a few motors apart but always seem to miss out on all the small details so any help would be great. Thanks

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Aerosol gasket remover, and rub it off. Repeat for stubborn areas. Then clean the debris in cases out again.

Not recommended is a wire brush or any abrasives. Some can get away with a sharp new razor blade for tough areas

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
MOST CARB CLEANERS WILL SOFTEN IT, A PLASTIC GASKET SCRAPER WILL FINISH THEN TOSS IT IN THE DISHWASHER TO CLEAN

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I use my snap on gasket scraper, just a glorified razor blade. Then I give it a good brake clean and degreaser before popping them in the dishwasher.

If you're really high tech a 3m finger pad on a die grinder works awesome for removing gaskets.

Premium Features