• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 850 Turbo Rebuild ?'s

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
I'm hoping to pick up some knowledge on a 2019 850 rebuild. Sled has 1000 miles and a boondocker sidekick. Took the sled to dealer with a leaky crank seal I found when I was rebuilding my clutch this fall. They finally got to it last week and tore it down. The Mag side piston is shot (severe lean scuffs/scrapes) and the pto side isn't far behind. The cylinder is hurt a little but a good hone would fix most of it just not all of it. The crank bearings feel smooth to me. Polaris denied warranty on everything except the crank seal. I decided to opt out of spending 3600 on fixing it there So 500 in labor later I picked up the sled and its sitting here in a million pieces. My question is, without sending my motor off to indy dans and spending 2 or 3 grand in parts what should I do, or is that exactly what I should do?
1. What pistons do i get?
2. Do i risk my cylinders not being perfect or wait a month waiting for a nik job now the snow is here?
3.Does the locktite really work on the crank bearing or do i need to get my cases machined with the updated bearings?
4.Sled hasn't blown a belt(dealership said thats what caused it to fail), and crank seal was just pouring oil....... does that mean my bearing walked over?
5. What updates do I need to make to the cases? I've heard a check valve on here and a water pump oil line?

Your help would really be appreciated here, Im really kicking myself with fresh snow on the ground and a 15000 dollar sled sitting in pieces with no plan to be fixed in the near future. Im ready to get this thing on the snow again.

Last edited:

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
In my experience it is worthwhile to go the Indy dan route. When we have had issues with a motor he has stood behind his work.

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
Polaris told my dealership that the damage was caused by a lean condition from turbo mapping and had nothing to do with polaris. Why my dealership sent polaris a picture of the turbo is another question, but at least they are trying to be honest. Its a shame this is going to take a month of riding out at least it looks like.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I'm hoping to pick up some knowledge on a 2019 850 rebuild. Sled has 1000 miles and a boondocker sidekick. Took the sled to dealer with a leaky crank seal I found when I was rebuilding my clutch this fall. They finally got to it last week and tore it down. The Mag side piston is shot (severe lean scuffs/scrapes) and the pto side isn't far behind. The cylinder is hurt a little but a good hone would fix most of it just not all of it. The crank bearings feel smooth to me. Polaris denied warranty on everything except the crank seal. I decided to opt out of spending 3600 on fixing it there So 500 in labor later I picked up the sled and its sitting here in a million pieces. My question is, without sending my motor off to indy dans and spending 2 or 3 grand in parts what should I do, or is that exactly what I should do?
1. What pistons do i get?
2. Do i risk my cylinders not being perfect or wait a month waiting for a nik job now the snow is here?
3.Does the locktite really work on the crank bearing or do i need to get my cases machined with the updated bearings?
4.Sled hasn't blow a belt(dealership said thats what caused it to fail), and crank seal was just pouring oil....... does that mean my bearing walked over?
5. what updates do i need to make to the cases? I've heard a check valve on here and a water pump oil line?

Your help would really be appreciated here, Im really kicking myself with fresh snow on the ground and a 15000 dollar sled sitting in pieces with no plan to be fixed in the near future. Im ready to get this thing on the snow again.

To answer your question I think all the 2019 engines have a inherent problem with the pto crank bearing. I would send it to Dan and have all the updates done. I doubt a hone will fix your cylinder but Dan would be the one to tell you.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I don't think a Boondocker turbo came stock on the 850.
I somehow managed to forget about that one by the time I got to the end of the post ?? my bad

I wouldn’t be putting back together a $14,000 sled with a $4,000 turbo with half-azz cylinders. Without pictures my guess is they’ll need to be replated. I have very rarely experienced a hone cleaning up a nikasil lined cylinder.

There usually is no need waiting a month for cylinders to get replated. Both US Chrome and Millenium Technologies keep replated cylinders in stock, you give them your junk set and they send you ones they’ve already replated. I live less than an hour away from both so I guess I’m spoiled since I can just drive there and exchange on the spot. Whether or not they have a set for an 850 though is questionable as it’s a newer motor...

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
You are already down the path. Don't compound your problems.

Bite the bullet.

Send motor to Indy Specialty get all updates done AND have a WARRANTY with your TURBO. Don't delay anymore.

Then enjoy the rest of the season versus worrying if today is the day it lets go.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Turbos and spare sleds go hand and hand if you don't want to miss some of the season.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
You are already down the path. Don't compound your problems.

Bite the bullet.

Send motor to Indy Specialty get all updates done AND have a WARRANTY with your TURBO. Don't delay anymore.

Then enjoy the rest of the season versus worrying if today is the day it lets go.

They look nice too...

28875a300ea11ac79fda41f9e2a9fe45.jpg

This the the Warthog 850 (turbo specific) version but they do have many options in what you want to do. It is probably worth giving them a call to get a price on what you want done.

850 & 800 PIDD Cables
www.cvcustoms.com
Get Some Get There

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
Thanks for the replies, I think you should send that warthog motor over here and I'll get it broke in for you! That looks sweet! Im up and running again. My only question now is about my water temp. It is consistently running between 90 and 100 degrees on the trail and out in the powder. Most of the time it just sits right at 90. Is this normal or is something up? I have the idaho head and the boon-docker race gas set up.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Thanks for the replies, I think you should send that warthog motor over here and I'll get it broke in for you! That looks sweet! Im up and running again. My only question now is about my water temp. It is consistently running between 90 and 100 degrees on the trail and out in the powder. Most of the time it just sits right at 90. Is this normal or is something up? I have the idaho head and the boon-docker race gas set up.

That is the correct water temp. The 2019 had numerous problems with the water temp sensor hence the new sensor on the 2020.

Premium Features