• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check your pull cord!!!

dbest

Lifetime Membership
Mar 15, 2013
My pull cord broke on Friday! It has been frayed on my 19 Alpha from day one. Complained to the dealer and was given the usual bs. I figured i would give a heads up to double check yours. Not sure if this is a typical problem or just my sled. Seems to be rubbing on a cross bar. I'm going to try a cobra cord next.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Why is there so many crappy dealers? My dealer went well out of his way for my little bs I've had.
Gofasters in Minnesota if your wondering.

Fyi
I noticed my pull cord rubbing on the wiring harness down by the can. Just zip tied the wires tighter for clearance.

dbest

Lifetime Membership
Mar 15, 2013
I just used a doo starter cord, just takes a few seconds longer to start. Still be nice if AC would address the issue.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
the cord will fray where it lays against the bracket that holds the coil...i fixed mine by getting an 1 1/2 inch piece of 1/4 in diameter plastic tubing, like swamp coolers use, slice it down the center and slip it on the contact bracket, zip tie it in place and you're done.....for those that are replacing starter cords, the best stuff i've found is in a shop that stocks cord for people doing cliff climbing...they make a cord that is 5mm thick (diameter is important); it's highly abrasive resistant, you'll need about 6 1/2 feet to do one...i usually get 15 ft so i'll have enough for two with a little left over....i still have it on a '09 1000 that i replaced about 8 yrs ago....

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Not sure if would help but if you need to bend pvc to shape it into a curve, youtube has various videos like
Bending PVC conduit with hot sand.

K
Apr 12, 2018
My pull cord broke on Friday! It has been frayed on my 19 Alpha from day one. Complained to the dealer and was given the usual bs. I figured i would give a heads up to double check yours. Not sure if this is a typical problem or just my sled. Seems to be rubbing on a cross bar. I'm going to try a cobra cord next.
Mine still looks brand new! But it doesnt get used much. I have a magic button on the left side of my ski doo handlebars. Look for that magic button on your sled. Im sure its there somewhere. (Humor)

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
the cord will fray where it lays against the bracket that holds the coil...i fixed mine by getting an 1 1/2 inch piece of 1/4 in diameter plastic tubing, like swamp coolers use, slice it down the center and slip it on the contact bracket, zip tie it in place and you're done....

On 19s this is the problem - rubs on the coil bracket. Either grind down the bracket edge or cover the edge with something. I used automotive door edge trim, u shape. The automotive trim works great, cut to length and push on. Already has the adhesive to keep in place. No experience but I’m not sure any cord, even cobra cord, would hold up rubbing against the sharp edge of the coil bracket. I hope AC fixed this issue on the 20s.

triedit

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
sheridan wy
the cobra cord makes it pull over very hard ,not real noticable at first but after a year and half i changed mine back to stock cord and filed the inside of the brace just after the rope goes through it and then cut an oil jug and wrapped it around the bar by the coils and zipped tyed it in place , then took a long punch and tapped the coil bracket over just a little now it pulls over way easier and i dont think it will fray on those places any more

G
Nov 26, 2007
Broke two right off the bat within 500 ish miles. Dealer was awesome and no questions asked. Third rope they went to hardware store and bought some climbing rope at that matched diameter and has been perfect for last 500 miles. No fraying what so ever. hope that helps. Good dealers are worth every penny

Premium Features