• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check Your Fully Clipped Tracks

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Check your track now, before the season begins. You may find rubber missing along the idler wheel path at the lugged fiberglass rods.

For some background on why this happens, Polaris lost their minds for a few years. They went to this center anti-ratchet driver setup, which requires excessively high track tension and excessive tension on the fiberglass rods.

Then they went against good recommendations and decided to clip the non-lug windows. Their reasoning was that they figured the clips would heat up in marginal snow and cause the lugs to delaminate. That could make sense, but if you also cut your rails too short, so that it doesn't transfer smoothly to the idler wheels, then the lugged windows of the track will scrape away at the back end of the rail.

So, then everyone just fully clipped their tracks to prevent the wear. However, that resulted in more heat in the track. Combine the heat with excessive tension and you get rubber peeling off the fiberglass rods as they begin to flex and break.

Polaris finally figured it out with extrovert drivers on the 3.5 pitch track, but geez, took long enough.
268d6d39c3f78b2a76ad306df7d1f309.jpg

Massif master

Premium Member
Oct 10, 2018
Massif du Sud
I had the same delamination on the path of the idler wheels last year. In my opinion, it's the rubberless rear wheels that cut through the track thin rubber. Changed the track and put rear wheels with rubber and still good after 1700 miles.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
What or who makes a rear wheel with rubber on it ?? I fully clipped my 163 on my 18 AXYS 3 years ago and so far so good.
gtwitch in wyoming

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Polaris would not warranty my track on my 2016 when the hyfax was wearing the un-clipped windows and said it was from running the track too loose. The dealer tightened to spec. and a month later the rear wheels started ripping through the track so Polaris replaced for free. I put big wheels on and fully clipped the new track and had no more issues. On my 21 I had delamination like yours and Polaris also replaced that track for free too. I think it was from running too tight so again went with big wheels and fully clipped.

C
Nov 29, 2008
I'm thinking that the upper idler wheels plus track tension are to blame for some issues - esp if / when frozen
My other thought is that track contact area in rear wheels is much larger and load is spread out while contact area on upper wheels is much less (one rod. I suspect track is highly loaded in the vertical plane in way of the upper wheels...the newer rear upper arm with wheels moved to inner portion of track may help as the transverse span is reduced and rod is subject to smaller bending force.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm thinking that the upper idler wheels plus track tension are to blame for some issues - esp if / when frozen
My other thought is that track contact area in rear wheels is much larger and load is spread out while contact area on upper wheels is much less (one rod. I suspect track is highly loaded in the vertical plane in way of the upper wheels...the newer rear upper arm with wheels moved to inner portion of track may help as the transverse span is reduced and rod is subject to smaller bending force.

I'm not sure I agree with this point.

If it were the upper idlers, wouldn't it affect both sides of the track and not just the one (note the uneven wear in the provided photo)? I'm assuming the rear idlers on the side the operator sidehills on the most are working this track over from the inside out.

C
Nov 29, 2008
The worn rubber is likely frozen idler ....we always keep a rubber mallet to knock off excess snow & ice at start / end of day. The load on the upper idlers is likely contributing to delamination and broken rods which is a different issue ...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The worn rubber is likely frozen idler ....we always keep a rubber mallet to knock off excess snow & ice at start / end of day. The load on the upper idlers is likely contributing to delamination and broken rods which is a different issue ...

Axys sleds have idlers on the outermost portion of the track. Doesn't contact the track where the delamination is happening.

only Matryx mtn sleds have idlers in the area shown.

Premium Features