• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Champion Spark Plugs

A
Nov 26, 2007
I just wanted to know the scoop behind champion spark plugs and the newer polaris motors...i have heard that these motors ( 08 RMK 700 more specificcally ) are designed to run these plugs and running anything else, NGK BR8ES for example, could be polentially damaging to the motor...is this true because i had to use a set of NGK's plugs to get out last weekend due to the rich premix fuel i was using for break-in.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Utah
i personally think that the champion plugs are junk. i ran a set for the first hundred miles and they broke apart making sparks fly onto my cylinder heads. i just put in a set of NGK BPR9ES plugs and that is what i will be running from now on. if you run the NGKs you need to run BPRs instead of a BR. i cant imagine any possible engine damage occuring from a plug swap. if you look at your spark plug caps they are NGK.

R
Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
All Polaris liberty engines were designed with Champion plugs. If you look at a offical NGK cross reference, they do not offer a direct replacement for the RN57YCC Champion.

L

Lovesnow

Nov 26, 2007
North Dakota
The dealer I bought my new Dragon from doesn't even sell Champion plugs. He stocks only NGK. I have replaced my stock Champion plugs, in all my RMK's, with NGK's since Polaris started useing them and I have never had a problem. No warranty work has ever been questioned because of NGK plugs. Just my .02

Last edited:
T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
A lot of folks say Champions are the plugs to use in Polaris sleds, but I haven't had a lick of problems running NGK's in my XLT. Haven't fouled a single one.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
i agree with shagonwagon champion plugs are junk!

7 years on the same 2000 700 RMK and running the Champions I have NEVER fouled a plug.

Fouled more than 1 NGK in my wifes 2000 550 SS and yes, I have them jetted properly.

This is the first machine in 25+ years of snowmobiling I have run champions. All others have run NGK and I have fouled more than 1 of them:)

I run what the manufacturer recommends.

I
Oct 29, 2001
Central WA
You guys are missing something here.
It's not about fouling plugs.
The RMK's run better with Champions.
If you are jetted properly you will notice a performance difference between Champion and NGK and the NGK plugs aren't the winner in that race.

T

TravRMK

Feb 1, 2004
Pocatello, ID
Run the Champions. The BPR9ES will work, and won't ruin your engine, but the sled doesn't run as well, and the plugs don't last as long. This is only on the liberty twins. The older sleds love the NGK's. My Ultra still runs NGK, and I feel they are a better match in that sled, as well as the XLT. But my 800 fouled several sets when I was experimenting with them. I had them fail two different times while wide open. Once was on a sidehill, and that almost cost me a totaled sled. I got lucky. After that I only put Champions in, and have never had a problem since.

B
Nov 21, 2005
9 Mile Falls, WA
You guys are missing something here.
It's not about fouling plugs.
The RMK's run better with Champions.
If you are jetted properly you will notice a performance difference between Champion and NGK and the NGK plugs aren't the winner in that race.

What ^ this guy said. I didn't believe it either until I tried it. NGK's run like crap in a liberty twin, it makes it unresponsive and lazy. I swapped back to champion mid ride and it made a world of difference. Just run the champions!!!!!

M

MBR46

Dec 1, 2007
I was wondering what the difference was so while i had my head off my 1200 watercraft i screwed in a bpr9 and a rn57ycc and suprisingly the champion plug stuck down further through the head bringing it closer to the piston, it was probably a good 1/8" down futher. the ngk plug hardly had the electrode sticking past the top of the dome. (12.5:1 heads) there is a non-biased fact for ya. i will run the champions. btw, had the same set in my mod 800 IQ and ran them for 2 years straight, never fouled one. FYI

Dec 6, 2007
Palmer
I just got my sled back from the dealer after they left a carb boot loose (had to replace both boots because of cracks on a new sled!) which caused a lean condition fouling my plugs when the computer compensated by dumping oil into the motor. The dealer replaced the plugs on their dime and told me they switched them out to NGK because the champion plugs are junk. I asked if it made a difference or would affect my warranty and they said NO. Racing stock cars for over 10 yrs I can tell you that there are definitely better plugs than either NGK or Champion. Champions however have a serious problem coming apart inside the cylinder head! I have seen many races lost and even more motors destroyed from a Champion plug coming apart. The vibration causes the ceramic around the electrode to crumble and break apart. I'm not telling anyone what brand of plug to use, but if you are going to run Champions, CHECK THEM BETWEEN EACH RIDE and replace often. So far the NGK's seem to run great and I have the same power/response from them. The dealer did say you have to run the BPR's if going with a NGK. Hope this helps:D

Premium Features