• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*BEGINNER* Opinions? 06 600RMK v.s. 08 Dragon 700

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I did this. Got a free Indy 500 and went riding with friends. It was miserable, as one we left groomed trails or windblown hard pack I was just a stuck mess. I bought a pro the next year, and axys the next.

Montana has a decent amount of riding, but most of it is very limited on trails. Lots of stuff that they groom every so often but not very long.
Example. Last weekend we hit up 2 trails. We spent less than 1 hour a day on the trail in and out, and 4+ hours screwing around in the trees and on slopes. I never got stuck unless I was doing something I knew was dumb. I would have been stuck on the old sks most of the day.

We don't have much for lakes and bowls. All tight trees and big chutes.

I see what you're saying, I think I've rode basically the same sled - my brother's Indy 500 SKS. It's about 75 HP, 3/4" lugs, gearing and clutching that's still trail-oriented, and on and on. You need a crust or pretty wet/heavy snow for one of those to get around off-trail. Starting with the Gen II, and especially when you got into the bigger EDGE and iQ sleds, you had enough power and track to get around, it's just that things were baked in to the chassis that make it want to stay flat to the snow. Comparing my EDGE to my Pro, besides the power and track disadvantage, it takes more effort and is less predictable. On deep days, a 600/144 is going to be a stuck mess, but on the typical snow I see, it gets around fine. As it gets less deep or more springlike, I find the 600 can actually be more fun. Anyway, if you've got money to burn, newer and bigger is great, but anything's better than sitting at home looking at the snow out the window!

M
Jan 26, 2023
Montana
Thank you everyone for your advice! I went ahead and got the 700. I just got one ride on it this past weekend and it was great!

I appreciate all of the insight and help in buying my first sled!

Premium Features