• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chaincase oil getting on muffler gen 5 turbo r

D

Dennissledpool

Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
I am getting chaincase oil somehow on the muffler and it’s burning smell badly and smoking
Did this since day 1 brand new
Checked the vent line and blew through it and clear
No loss of oil out of chaincase
Rubber fill plug w vent line did pop off once
Rode with tony Jenkins and he said this has happened on 4 other sleds
Any thoughts??

M
Jan 26, 2013
With no loss of oil from chaincase, either oil was over full, or the oil that is burning is 2 cycle oil or some other source. How are the turbos lubricated? Surprised Tony's only insight was, you're not the first ?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
How many miles you have one your machine?

Unless the chain case is cracked somewhere, and is sealed up, with the vent line not having a hole in it or loose. I’d doubt it is chain case oil.

Are you on a turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dennissledpool

Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
Yes turbo r
Had stock muffler off donut was good with no leaks after 100 miles.
Round plug with vent tube inserted popped off first ride did not k ow about it until sled tipped over very easy onto the muffler side and we rip bak level then chaincase oil leaked out plug hole onto muffler. Sled was only on its side for a bit. Checked oil level at truck and lost about 8 oz oil. In that quick tip over. Refilled and running great w no leaks out of chaincase. Possible oil has soaked into the black fiber material’s that surrounds the muffler. Have not torn it down again yet

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
If you lost 8 or so oz of oil out the top fill plug, due to the vent tube not being connected. Then oil is certainly going to all over that area. It will take while to burn off. Or you can pull it all out and clean it up.

Either way if you topped of the chain case and connected the vent tube. I’d think your good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
That chaincase oil is very thin like transmission oil. It will stay smelly for quite a while because it gets on everything. I would start with a good deep clean of the exhaust side with brake cleaner or contact cleaner. I have a buddy dealing with the same problem on his 22 because the dealer didn’t put the plug back in after changing the oil.

L
Mar 8, 2011
[QUOTE="Dennissledpool, post: 4495216, member: 167161"
This happened to my 21, the vent plug came out and chaincase oil got on pipe.

This take a long time to burn off and it stinks like crazy. I would just monitor it for the next few rides.

Yes turbo r
Had stock muffler off donut was good with no leaks after 100 miles.
Round plug with vent tube inserted popped off first ride did not k ow about it until sled tipped over very easy onto the muffler side and we rip bak level then chaincase oil leaked out plug hole onto muffler. Sled was only on its side for a bit. Checked oil level at truck and lost about 8 oz oil. In that quick tip over. Refilled and running great w no leaks out of chaincase. Possible oil has soaked into the black fiber material’s that surrounds the muffler. Have not torn it down again yet
[/QUOTE]

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A friend had a brand new Lynx lose it's all it's chaincase oil on the first roll over, chaincase plug/vent deal was found dangling. 23k sled now smells like an old bulldozer. LOL

D

Dennissledpool

Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
Yup same here.
WTF?
Vent line runs to triple stack vent lines in upper right shock tower and I think when snow plugs off the vent the chaincase plug fill pops off vent line from gas tank runs to same location
Why ski Doo vents this off to a location that will plug w snow is a mystery

Premium Features