• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chain case life Gen 5

D
Feb 7, 2022
I had to go find the video. Not really a you tuber. It looks like the Muskoka guy blew up his clutch on a Polaris first, then another guy exploded his chain case after a wide open landing. Seems like alot of belt drive problems for the poo on these forums as well. My gen5 has had its problems but not left me stranded. I think that with the performance we get from a factory sled now, and the beating these sleds take, things are going to break and are to be expected. Probably why I only keep a sled for a year.
For $20,000 they should be very dependable!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Damn. Not looking good. Never seen so many chain case related failures. I really hope Norona was right and this is all just a fluke, but it's looking more and more like serious defects in engineering or production.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Damn. Not looking good. Never seen so many chain case related failures. I really hope Norona w
people were predicting this was going to be a problem during the rollout for the ‘23s. I was aware of over 50 instances via someone in the industry (I don’t have any special contacts, I just started asking questions) and that was well over a month ago. Add to that the Facebook group reporting this plus the forums. I’m sure there’s some overlap there and it may not be as widespread as it seems but I think we’re not dealing with a fluke but a first model year issue.

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
Chinese parts this is the end result

It's a design and manufacture issue. It's actually quite surprising how few Chinese parts they use.

Look at how little material there is between the teeth and the hub of the sprocket. They also appear to have switched to sintered metal construction. It wasn't very long ago they had much more meat in this area and/or were machined.

It's the result of people demanding lightweight and them trying to cut costs.

Last edited:
D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
I've read that the redesign of the removable jack shaft is what's causing these chain case failures.

And for those who are trying to disregard/downplay it, the replacement parts are on back order. That should tell you something.

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
I've read that the redesign of the removable jack shaft is what's causing these chain case failures.

And for those who are trying to disregard/downplay it, the replacement parts are on back order. That should tell you something.

I was responding to kitty, who was referencing a lynx pic that had a broken sprocket, but intact chain.
If you look at all the chain case failure pics, almost every one has the lower gear has broken as well.

But yes, looking at the big picture, it seems both the new driveshaft design and inferior parts in the chain case are factors.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
FC3109ED-4B9A-4E18-9B95-F52F3CFE0663.jpegQUOTE from Dave N
“If anyone is worried then the best solution is putting in the lynx gears and chain(they are stronger, actually stronger than the hyvo gears and chain), that would be on your cost and actually is not much.”
Hopefully Doo address this issue on the 24’s

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Doubtful. That sprocket design has been around for awhile. Now it possible that the materials its made of is now inferior. Or the common denominator, the new drive shaft. Take a string and check the alignment of the top sprocket and the bottom one. With the amount of play thats in the splines, and the single bearing design trying to keep to planes of force in alignment.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
View attachment 401021QUOTE from Dave N
“If anyone is worried then the best solution is putting in the lynx gears and chain(they are stronger, actually stronger than the hyvo gears and chain), that would be on your cost and actually is not much.”
Hopefully Doo address this issue on the 24’s
If only this guy would of went to 32 turns on the adjustment bolt he would of never had a issue?
The chain case on a g5 is a jack in the box eventually it will blow its top . even the guys that just use their sled to haul there snow board and yoga mats around will have a surprise someday .
Ive converted mine to solid 21-22 shaft I was one of if not the first to do it and changed out to hyvo earlier in the season my next move for next year is a belt drive I’ve have very good luck with TKI belt drives at least if I break a belt it’s not going to destroy the chain case .
Not at all interested in the 24s normally I’m like a school girl the day of the release brp has some work ahead of them before I’ll buy again not looking to restore a new 25k sled again any time soon happy highmarking

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I don’t own a G5. It’s apparent that the chain case may be a weak point, but this is to be expected to a degree. Higher horsepower and “watch this” riding techniques are going to amplify the issue. Should it be better? Absolutely considering the price of new sleds, but if one knows there is an issue, better to fix it yourself with better quality parts rather then to miss ride time waiting on parts… it’ll likely be fixed on the 2024’s?

Premium Features