• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chain case life Gen 5

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Not constrained at all but it just is not worth it, keyboard warriors just make fun of the answer and don't believe it anyway. I have seen guys post that they turned their chain case bolt 30 times(impossible) to sharing the same photos over and over till the problem looks bigger than it is! There are chains that are too loose and also chains that are too tight. There are guys who see a tiny bit of scratching and think that is a major problem when it is actually normal. There has been guys who land full pin and it snaps and guys that were just riding and it happens but who knows what they did before. There is a lot of stress on a chain when landing full pin and land sideways and it stops immediately. Long time guys know this. If your chain case breaks it can be for sure warranty unless there is proof that it was rider error. If anyone is worried then the best solution is putting in the lynx gears and chain(they are stronger, actually stronger than the hyvo gears and chain), that would be on your cost and actually is not much. Lots of guys have tons of mileage on the sled without issue, the majority, and your sled is not getting upgraded by your dealer just becasue you think it should be. I would not wish broken gears or chain on anyone, it sucks, this sled produces a lot of power, Carls sleds have 2600 km on them now and not a problem, this also does not hold well for the entire amount of sleds out there. I think there might have been a guy who either rented from carl or rob, I don't know and they had a chain case issue, of course people say it was the guy who designed it so it must have been set up perfect, neither of those guys designed it or built it. As we all know lots of stuff happens through the season with lots of guys sleds, it is the price we all pay to have the power we want with the cost we will pay. I am not making light of the situation if it has happened to anyone it sucks as with any other problem. Guys will say the skid sucks, suspension sucks, now the chain case sucks, the choice is there for anyone, you can just ride it as is or do improvements you feel for your style of riding. What is not in all of this is the amount of sleds versus issues, this or other. And that is confidential for obvious reasons. That is my honest take on it for all to see. I hate to see anyone lose ride time but if you do this long enough, and what we do and where we put these sleds, they do pretty amazing but **** does happen. As always they get better each year. Tear me apart, I will be out riding as I have been having fun. Anyone can always private message me, as I won't be back here to defend myself, cheers dave
i appreciate your input on various topics and i hear what you're saying about people bashing this and that and taking out frustrations whether justified or not on company reps. it's the nature of people combined with the anonymity of forums. having said that, there are times when the concerns and frustrations are warranted as is this situation plus there is a precedent which would be the '17 belt issues. i'm sure initially it was blamed on operator error until BRP started improving the cooling (and i think engine alignment) on subsequent year models which is admission of a problem. seems like the same thing here. if you're at all objective about this then the fact that this same problem is happening to a newly redesigned component that's very soon into it's implementation can't be passed off as guys riding too hard or improper chain tensioning, or that sh*t does happen or whatever. the number of instances has to far exceed whatever BRP has determined is an acceptable failure rate only a few moths in. a guy i spoke with who's a sledder and involved in the aftermarket world with a well respected company who mentioned over 50 blown cases that he personally knew of and that was a month ago. been a few more instances posted on the forums just in the last day plus the decision to go to a weaker chain on a stronger engine is irritating to many.

Last edited:

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Helped a friend yesterday do a routine maintenance check on his new G5 Summit Edge 850 N/A, he had been on Polaris and this is his first Ski Doo, so his prior sleds had belt drives. Ask him if he was checking his chain tension and he didn't even know to check it. Long story short, with 200 miles on the sled it took 8 clicks to bring the chain tension into spec.

Do not know how loose the chain needs to be to cause a failure but 8 clicks is way to loose.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Helped a friend yesterday do a routine maintenance check on his new G5 Summit Edge 850 N/A, he had been on Polaris and this is his first Ski Doo, so his prior sleds had belt drives. Ask him if he was checking his chain tension and he didn't even know to check it. Long story short, with 200 miles on the sled it took 8 clicks to bring the chain tension into spec.

Do not know how loose the chain needs to be to cause a failure but 8 clicks is way to loose.
That’s crazy!

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
They're machines, they all have their issues. If the chain case worries you there is plenty of options out there to address this (TKI fix kit, belt drives, upgraded gears/chain). It sucks but like I said take your pick of manufacturer, they all have their weaknesses and thankfully most have aftermarket solutions to remedy the weaknesses. It is truly amazing that these things hold up to the abuse at all to what people are putting them through. I see all these whips/ re-entries and crazy acrobat landings where the sled goes from WOT with no load to instant load when landing sideways. Things will break. I for one have installed the TKI fix kit and thankfully my chain didn't have any signs of weird stretching or binding up. My oil was super clean but I wanted to be proactive and do the fix. My Polaris sleds have their weaknesses too, and so does cat. I am glad though we can share info and hopefully get ahead of the weak points.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy

^^^^^That is probably the reason for a lot of the issues. Folks not knowing anything about chain case maintenance. Dealers need to do a better job educating folks, I think.

Of coarse the decision to use the naturally aspirated chain and gears in the turbos, is going to cause issues as well.

Due to the fact that chain is not rated for the higher horse power. It will handle it for a while…. but how long is the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i don't think much if anything has to do with folks not knowing about chain maintenance. if that were the case, we'd see this every year. the difference is this new design and not people.
it's a classic case of new model bugs that nees to be worked out.
as for me, i'm good with the TKI kit and hyvo replacement parts. i'll be snowchecking soon enough and ideally the prob will be sorted by then.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
^^^^^That is probably the reason for a lot of the issues. Folks not knowing anything about chain case maintenance. Dealers need to do a better job educating folks, I think.

Of coarse the decision to use the naturally aspirated chain and gears in the turbos, is going to cause issues as well.

Due to the fact that chain is not rated for the higher horse power. It will handle it for a while…. but how long is the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been seeing pics of grooved tensioners like a lot have been overtightened… which is understandable, it is hard to know what your tension is like without seeing the chain.

S
Mar 18, 2018
Seems those that have ridden Doo and do their maintenance aren’t having issues. Talked to a guy the other day new to Doo and he assumed the chain was auto tensioned. Might be an opportunity for dealers to discuss a couple key maintenance items such as proper chain tension at time of purchase. Not saying there isn’t any issues with new design but you’de be surprised with those who aren’t maintenance savvy, watching videos or checking forums or take the time to familiarize themselves with sled manual. The quality of labour these days is also questionable, ie assembly. We’ve entered a new era where power is king, we asked for this from manufacturers and now it appears some components haven’t caught up, all brands alike. Just my 2 cents!

Premium Features