• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Calling DOO Guru's !

C

Climbit

Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC
I just finished rebuilding my blown up 06 800 HO PTEK , the mag side burned down in the spring of 09 (nope, didn't get to ride this sled last year). Instead of rebuilding it stock I decided to do an 827 BB from RK tek. (kelsey did an amazing job on the cylinders, it was a mess).

Here is where the problems start .... Brand new bottom end, brand new top end other than the cylinders, I could not get a spark so I did the trouble shooting in the tech manual and determined that the stator may be faulty. Took everything out again and replaced the stator and pickup assembly while I was in there. Also replaced plug wires. Just tried to fire it, and again NO SPARK.

Does anyone know what I may be overlooking ? , I should mention that before the tear down it was running.

review -
827 BB with a new bottom end
new stator and pickup assy
new plug wires
new plugs

it turns over fine and compression is good
its getting fuel (plugs are wet)

I am definately a rookie when it comes to this type of thing thats why I think I am missing something simple.

wardy

Premium Member
Jun 7, 2008
Central point Oregon
Check you triger coils spin the motor over backwards and check for spark...if you get spark,then swap the triger coil positions

C

Climbit

Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC
DESS post is plugged in , however I think that it should still have spark with out it but not rev high enough for clutch engagement, or is that just with out a coded lanyard ?

Wardy - I will try spinning it backwards and see what happens, Found a few other threads this morning so I have a few more things to check.

thanks

Last edited:
R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
DESS post is plugged in , however I think that it should still have spark with out it but not rev high enough for clutch engagement, or is that just with out a coded lanyard ?

Wardy - I will try spinning it backwards and see what happens, Found a few other threads this morning so I have a few more things to check.

thanks

Disconnect all the connectors thatgo to your handle bars.. this will eliminate any shorts that may be present in the handlebar area// You can also disconnect the plugto the rectifier to elimnate a short there (even though it is a different part of the stator)..Make sure that you have no more than .040" clearance from the trigger pick-ups to the mag when located over the trigger points on the mag.
Try these and see if you can get some spark..

C

Climbit

Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC
"Make sure that you have no more than .040" clearance from the trigger pick-ups to the mag when located over the trigger points on the mag."

This could be the problem since I have the same results after putting in the new electrical parts, how is this adjustable ?

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
"Make sure that you have no more than .040" clearance from the trigger pick-ups to the mag when located over the trigger points on the mag."

This could be the problem since I have the same results after putting in the new electrical parts, how is this adjustable ?

If you ever removed the silicone from the trigger coils then they can move a bit

To check.. rotate the mag to where the trigger point (raised metal on the outsideof the mag) is under the pick-up.. Then use a feeler gauge and check clearance between the mag and the trigger/pick-up.. should be .030-.040" (Recalling from memory). if it is too large of a gap, then it may not trigger...
If htis is not it.. pull mag and check magnets and make sure they are not broken (seen this a few times also.. but rare)

Good luck

Kelsey

C

Climbit

Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC
confirmed spark plug gap and tried spinning it backwards and voila ! SPARK ! tried a few times to confirm and there is spark when rotated in reverse but not when rotated forward.

C

Climbit

Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC
ITS ALIVE !!!! , switched the trigger coils and it fired right up, actually kind of scared me a bit !!.

Thanks to Kelsey and everyone else for helping me troubleshoot it. Now for the tuning part.

-Brent-

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
great success. now post a few picks of your baby so we can all see.....:cheer2: also,,,just out of curiosity,,,, how many miles on it when it went down? and get back to us all when you get it on the snow. Cheers:D

Premium Features