• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BYPASS THERMOSTAT UPGRADE (PREVIOUSLY $28 upgrade)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
TRS... What would be the reason for removing the sensor from the head?...

By the time it gets out to the thermo...will it give you accurate readings of engine temp?

I think it would give a more consistent water temp. It would be interesting to see if there would be a difference in tip in temps. With it divorced from the head.
Wondering with it mounted higher if it would thermosiphon better than the BRP when not running. The natural convection here would be a big plus.

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Just noticed on my sled that the little 1/4" hose (or whatever size it is) coming off the bottom of the coolant bottle is rubbing on the rib on the thermostat housing and has started rubbing though the hose. I just bought some wire loom and am gonna put on it to protect the hose... Just check yours to make sure your guys is not rubbing also and protect it is needed. Otherwise, best thread I've ever seen on Snowest and big hats off to TRS for solving a big problem for cheap!!

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I put this bypass mod on my 12 800 last week......did a good 3 day ride in deep set-up snow (on the flatlands). Temp ran in the 105-109 range when in the good snow....still climbed up as normal on the trails until the scratchers went down.....then back to 107. Our outside temps were -5 to +3 celcius.

Great Mod, easy to do, would do it again in a heartbeat. Big Thanks TRS!

did you see that your sled holds rpms better?

200smk

Lifetime Membership
Jul 24, 2008
Didn't really notice rpm losses before......but the peace of mind to not have to keep the temp reading on the display all the time is huge......I don't even look at my temps anymore....unless I'm on a hardpack trail.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
May 19, 2013:
Rode the turbo in what felt like mashed potatoes all day. 4' trenches. Water temps were basically 114-117. Although, I did see 121.

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
Mashed Potatoes

I have always found that the Mashed Potato snow (I have been told its called iceothermic snow ) did keep sled engine temps low as it is almost like water skipping so lots of cooling effect even with the warm air temps.

I am envious that you are riding and I am planting my crop :face-icon-small-hap

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I have always found that the Mashed Potato snow (I have been told its called iceothermic snow ) did keep sled engine temps low as it is almost like water skipping so lots of cooling effect even with the warm air temps.

I am envious that you are riding and I am planting my crop :face-icon-small-hap

"Isothermal Snow" sure pulls hard. A lot of WOT on the turbo yesterday. Good day to test.
Not long before the days start to get shorter.
Thanks for planting and feeding the world.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Sorry if i missed it but are you just gutting the stock thermo and throwing the cover back on the head?

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
Is this an issue with a stock motor as well or just the more modded ones? I have a 2014 Pro on the way and curious if this would be beneficial to do. Pipe and head will be the most mods this thing sees for awhile.

J

jdetoy

Oct 14, 2009
lakewood, co
I have had problem with cooling and I performance on 11 with the 11 silber turbo. I made this cooler for the rear and I am also planing on doing the up grade. Do you think it may run to cool now?
u3ehuge4.jpg
dy9amubu.jpg

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I have had problem with cooling and I performance on 11 with the 11 silber turbo. I made this cooler for the rear and I am also planing on doing the up grade. Do you think it may run to cool now?
u3ehuge4.jpg
dy9amubu.jpg

No, the thermostat will regulate it as intended. Having a good supply of coolant available is a good thing.

O

ottawaair

Mar 2, 2012
Bringing this thread back.

I'm trying to do this on a '12 switchback (rush chassis), but i don't think it's the same as the regular tunnel sleds.

It has a rear cooler stock, so looking at the pic on page one, the rear hose by the jackshaft is different on mine.

I know you guys are long trackers, but has anybody done this to a rush chassis sled.

Which hose am i looking for ???

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Is there anyone that can help out a fellow from overseas to get all the parts from napa for me. I have not found any way to order online from napa that include shipping.
The doo parts I will get myself.
If anyone can/are willing to help, PM me.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Is there anyone that can help out a fellow from overseas to get all the parts from napa for me. I have not found any way to order online from napa that include shipping.
The doo parts I will get myself.
If anyone can/are willing to help, PM me.

Yo,

Talked to TRS on the very same thing, let's do something together. I have a US address for ordering stuff that is only shipped in the US and not international.

Maybe I can fix that NAPA thing?

Rune

Premium Features