• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying new sled not in mn

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Alright fellas I have a question. If I buy a brand new sled from a dealer not in mn do I have to pay mn sales tax when I register and liscense it? Just curious how that works.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
When I bought a sled in Idaho I didn't pay Idaho sales tax. I payed mn sales tax a couple yrs later when i registered it in mn.

R
Feb 14, 2014
Foley MN
If you pay taxes in another state you are exempt from paying taxes in MN.

Also if you pay taxes here in a sled and live here you ca register it in WI as a resident and not pay taxes in WI.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I believe if you buy from a dealer you will have to pay sales tax at home. no sales tax from private party

scotts-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2011
Minnesota
I was looking at snowchecking a new sled from a WI dealer. WI has lower tax than us. What I was told by the dealer and the DMV is if you register it in MN, you will pay the difference in taxes. So it ends up being the same. Again, this is through a dealer.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I am considering a sno check from rexburg in Idaho. They are $75 more than the best deal I found in mn but you get oil belt better set up and a motorfist coat. Without paying sales tax it is $660 cheaper out the door. If I don't have to pay sales tax it is worth the drive out early in October to pick it up and maybe ride for a few days. Figure the belt and oil is worth at least $350-$400.

Premium Features