• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BULLSH** POLARIS (ELECTRIC RELAYS IN HARNESS GO BAD FROM WATER INTRUSION)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
yep just ordered 5 for like 15$ with shipping thanks for the heads up MH. I have ben keeping an eye out for something that was in stock that would work but know next to nothing about electoral components so I appreciate you looking for a suitable replacement for us! thanks again MH for your time and knowledge!!!

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA

I've been getting a LOT of PM's and emails on this lately... and where to get the relays at a reasonable cost.

I strongly believe that you can use the 871-1A-S-R1-12VDC. (instead of the factory 871-1C-S-R1-12VDC)

The 1A and 1C exact same relay EXCEPT that there is no second pole... which is NOT used on the AXYS Mtn sleds ANYWAY according to the wiring diagram.
See this tech page if you need confirmation of this information.
https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/378/20098291912159610-3428.pdf

If the relay has only 4 wires going input terminals (even if there are some terminals with two wires each)... then you can use this relay as it will be electrically identical to the 1C model.

Mouser HAS 570 of the 871-1A-S-R1-12VDC in stock for $1.42 each :face-icon-small-win

CLICK HERE

WAYTEK has the 871-1A-S-R1-12VDC in stock for $2.55 each
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/75721/Song-Chuan-Micro-Relay-/

If you must have the 871-1C-S-R1-12VDC.... you can get them direct from China through AliExpress (they are made in China anyway)...For $2.01 each with $2 Shipping in 12-20 days.
HECK.... If you wanted to buy 100 of them... you could get them shipped to your door via FedEx in 5 days for $2.38 each.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/871...in-20A-35A-871-1C-S-R1-12VDC/32844463559.html

has anyone used these and can actually confirm these work?
(not that I am doubting)

Last edited by a moderator:

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I had to do trouble shooting and swapped out all 3 stock relays with the Mouser and have had no issues.

those new ones without the center pole MH posted?

I have the Mouser ones that are identical to the factory, but want to get a few more sets.

thanks

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
i ordered 10 from the aliexpress link that MH posted above on 1-27. Hopefully they get here before feb 14

D

doobie

Oct 13, 2008
Cochrane ab
Just looked into it.

If you replace one... replace all three with sealed relays.

Make sure that the relay you use also has a resistor across the coil (trigger) contacts... like the stocker (they come 3 types, resistor, diode or nothing across these contacts)

I believe that the factory relay is 15 amp... you could go up to 20, 25 or 25 amp in the same housing I believe ... and get a sealed unit.

There ARE sealed Micro-ISO relays (compared to non sealed).
Littelfuse part number would be MA-250012-RS [MA250012RS] (SEALEDSPST with Resistor).... OR... MC-250012-RS [MC250012RS](SEALED SPDT with resistor)... you can use an SPST or SPDT because, it seems, that Polaris uses a SPDT relay but configures it only as a SPST (unused terminal 87a)

Panasonic # CM1a-12v sealed 12v Micro-ISO SPDT 35-amp
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkeyCM1a-12V
Spec Sheet: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/315/cm-catalog-1075958.pdf

Cycle terminal carries Matsush!ta waterproof waterproof sealed relay.
Scroll midway down to "Sealed 12 Volt ISO Micro Relays"
http://www.cycleterminal.com/accessory-relays.html

Matsu****a-5pin-micro-relay-for-Triumph-Honda.JPG

Little fuse data on Micro-ISO relays.
http://www.littelfuse.com/products/dc-solenoids-and-relays/plug-in-relays/iso-micro-relays.aspx

ma-250012-rs.jpg

Micro-relay-pin-out.jpg

From Polaris 2016 AXYS-800 Wiring Diagram.
//www.snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=278872&stc=1&d=1484240713

whats the difference between the cm1 and the cm1a? reason i ask is mouser just sent me the cm1 version. 10 of them...

B
Dec 17, 2016
Had this issue today and all three relays are the “sealed” ones. Not sure what that means tho because there is no rubber seal preventing water into the contact. I have no dash and the sled has no power and bogs and dies. Which relay(s) affect this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Stock ones are not sealed

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mine are...states that right on the relay and I'm still running the original relays on my 16 Pro-RMK.

The problem isn't the relay, it's the junk connector coming off the harness allowing water to run down corroding the connections.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Caltrex...

These are sincere questions.

How is the one on the right different from the one on left?

I only see the factory relay on the left peeled open.

Have you done the same to one on the left?

What about the factory relay was not sealed?

C
Apr 17, 2013
alberta
Caltrex...

These are sincere questions.

How is the one on the right different from the one on left?

I only see the factory relay on the left peeled open.

Have you done the same to one on the left?

What about the factory relay was not sealed?

Those are 5 new solid ones in 2nd pic.

You can't open the solid ones

You can see how cheap the stock ones are

B
Dec 17, 2016
I had to do trouble shooting and swapped out all 3 stock relays with the Mouser and have had no issues.

What trouble shooting did you have? I found the single relay by the clutch in the bag was corroded but when I swap it for one of the good relays up top it doesn’t fix my issues. Are you saying you had to switch all 3 in order to fix your problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
A few more questions.

Those are 5 new solid ones in 2nd pic.

You can't open the solid ones

You can see how cheap the stock ones are

Thanks !

Hope you can bear with me for some more questions...

I don't see any internal corrosion on the one on the left (OE).
It may be able to be opened... but I do believe they are sealed from the ones that I've taken apart.

What relays are you using... The Panasonic's I have listed?
What is the Resistance value across the coil on yours? (or does it have a diode??)
What part-number/brand are you using? (got a pic of that end of the case?)

Premium Features