• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bugs in 700 dragon VR dying and IQ or RMK?

ThSimpson

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2012
Holyoke, Colo
The NEXT SET OF PROBLEMS TO SOLVE!!
1. While loading it in the trailer went to move it over grabbed to front bumper and just about tore it off the rest of the way. (I knew it was loose but holy buckets) So.....looking at aluminum replacement bumpers (Skinz) what is the difference between the Dragon IQ and the Dragon RMK?? IQ front is $199; found Dragon RMK on sale $140. That is the $64,000 question of the day.
2. So while sitting at idl
e at 1450-1500RPM no instrument light up rev it a little and it comes on, stays on while riding. So is the Voltage Regulator on the verge of going out? 1600 RPM it is on. Reverse works, grip heaters work just instrument cluster does not light up.

I have posted a few different things on this 700 dragon. The deeper I dig the more I shake my head, and ask why did I do this? O ya it was only $2500, and 1600 miles 163 track. Sled sold to me as a 2007, never thought to look at serial number, until talking to a friend he stated 07 were black, 08 were red. This sled is RED! Checked # and bingo it’s a 2008 (score one for me) I knew it has some issues. Found more as I got it home. Exhaust Power Valve full of mud and water, spring rusted to just 2 coils, piston scratched all to hell, cylinder scratched all to hell (single ring piston, back to being an 2008) Top end off, new pistons and cylinders from Eckhoff's. It had a cover on it, looks like the cover held in all the moisture that soaked threw while sitting outside. SLP pipe has some rust and flaky rusting stuff on it.

Got a bit of snow yesterday nice 3 ft. deep drift along the stubble field so we took it out. Runs great!! (Yeah me!)
Thanks
Thom

J
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Ouch... Looks like ya got a "lemon" sled.. The price was right though I suppose:noidea:

As for the bumper, the dragon rmk one will work. Just make sure it's for 07-08 sleds not 09-10 as they changed the plastic and mounting locations for the hood..

And yes it seems like your VR is going out. I suggest replacing it before you ride it again and save yourself from buying a $700 ECU.

Last edited:

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
I would agree that it's the VR. My 2008 D7 did the same thing. I was lucky enough to have the sled with me when I bought the new VR and the dealer actually walked out with a new one and hooked it up to check if it fixed the problem (before buying it).

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
The D7 engines are bullet proof. A friend of mine had over 5000miles on it and was still going strong before he decided to do a preventive rebuild on it.

W
Aug 5, 2013
Ouch... Looks like ya got a "lemon" sled.. The price was right though I suppose:noidea:

As for the bumper, the dragon one will work. Just make sure it's for 07-08 sleds not 09-10 as they changed the plastic and mounting locations for the hood..

And yes it seems like your VR is going out. I suggest replacing it before you ride it again and save yourself from buying a $700 ECU.

This is incorrect. You need the one for a plastic bumper not the aluminum hoop. When I was looking the $200 oneis what you need.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
How many bars does it show on the instrument gauge? Could also be TPS sensor.

ThSimpson

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2012
Holyoke, Colo
The D7 engines are bullet proof. A friend of mine had over 5000miles on it and was still going strong before he decided to do a preventive rebuild on it.

Yes everybody says bullet proof, however not idiot proof. However it was still running.

image.jpg

Last edited:

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
As far as the gauges not working that is normal at that low of idle. You just need to adjust the idle, but should check the tps setting first as that will cause a low idle.:face-icon-small-win

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
1. The OP's question was about a Skinz bumper for a '07-'08 Dragon IQ vs '07-'08 Dragon RMK. You need the Skinz bumper for a '07-'08 Dragon RMK ('07 first year of the RAW chassis), not the '07 Dragon IQ, it was a short track sled on a different chassis (Fusion I think, however the front end looks the same).

Stock '07 Dragon RMK plastic bumper

Skinz '07 Dragon RMK aluminum bumper

'07 IQ

Don't confuse the OP with the 07-08 plastic bumpers with the 09-10 narrow front aluminum bumpers.

2. I agree with the voltage regulator going out.

3. Also the reason the one exhaust valve was full of water and the spring rusted to pieces, is due to the moisture drip hole from the air box up in the hood. The drip hole lines up perfect with the valve vent hole, seal the hole in the hood up with silicone, and drill and new hole off to the side a little bit.

Last edited:
J
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, WA
This is incorrect. You need the one for a plastic bumper not the aluminum hoop. When I was looking the $200 oneis what you need.

If you re read my post, that is what I was referring to 07-08 they had cheap plastic bumpers for both rmk and dragons... In 09-10 they went to the aluminum hoop for both.

I was trying to help OP NOT get the wrong model year's bumper kit.

Also, MORSNO is correct. The dragon RMK bumper would be the one you want. Poor product labeling IMO by skinz as technically the rmk is an IQ chassis.

Last edited:

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
If you re read my post, that is what I was referring to 07-08 they had cheap plastic bumpers for both rmk and dragons... In 09-10 they went to the aluminum hoop for both.

I was trying to help OP NOT get the wrong model year's bumper kit.

Also, MORSNO is correct. The dragon RMK bumper would be the one you want. Poor product labeling IMO by skinz as technically the rmk is an IQ chassis.

You were correct, that is why I also included pictures explaining what you said.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
When you change out the Volt regulator ... Also Change Both ... (2) Capacitors.. One is mounted right on top of the VR.. other one is behind the air box.. next to tunnel and gas tank.. 2 wire plug.. as the one has on top of VR..

Also...

I'd be looking closely at the TB's BOOT. to engine.. They like to delaminate apart..

ThSimpson

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2012
Holyoke, Colo
Thanks

Thanks to all for the help!! New VR ordered. 2 bars were all that show when the sled is running. And that little blinking battery icon shows up. I really need new glasses I guess. I did not notice that when I looked at the sled before buying it.

Thanks again!!

ThSimpson

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2012
Holyoke, Colo
Got the VR,

I put the VR on this morning. Sled showed 1 bar with old VR, Now will shot 2 at idle, 4 while going. Normal?? MY D8 show full bars top to bottom. I did not replace the the box on top of the VR. It runs great for what little bit I ran it. So is the Stator next?? or just ride it till it dies and then I know what is wrong!!

J
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, WA
that sounds like about the correct numbers to me.. If your D8 is maxed out all the time it could be a time bomb waiting to fail. Mine read full bars a couple rides before it failed.

ThSimpson

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2012
Holyoke, Colo
Got sled to the mountians. It made it all of 3 miles in. Could not get it restarted. Then got it to fire. Ran it a bit more, gages on, off, battery bars 1-5. Loaded back in trailer. Dealer said bad stater after checking it out. Glad i brought 3 sleds.

Thanks for all the help

A screw came out and was in between 2 posts on the stator burning one of them up and arcing on the other.

Last edited:
T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
I'm not too familiar with the dragons, but the "bars" you are talking about.... What do they represent? I posted a "HELP" thread on the pro-ride forum cuz a problem popped up yesterday on a friends dragon. It would run great, then the bars would disappear and then the gauge would go blank and run like crap and eventually die. It would sit for 2-3 minutes then fire up and run great for 1-2 miles and do it all over again. It did this all the way back to the truck. Some folks say start with the voltage regulator. Any suggestions here???

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
Start with voltage regulator :) Hopefully ECU is fine. I would do a visual inspection on it though

Premium Features