• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP wants us our fix our sled and pay for it!!

Thread Rating
2.00 star(s)
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Hey, when my Doo sits in the garage waiting for parts more than its in the snow, its nice to have a light sled to move it around the garage ya know!
People just aren't seeing the TRUE benefits to the lt wt .... :p hahahah

This sound so much like an 05 900 rmk! It's really kinda funny. People will justify until the end and still tell everybody that the sled rips until they have bought 15 belts, 3 trips to the dentist cuz their molars have shaken out, more torque stops, gearing, handwamers, fire hazard, lower hp etc.... This is just funny to me, I just like to ride. But hey it's light right?

S

Sheepdog

Nov 27, 2007
Big Sky Country
The gear thing is just bandade for the real problem...My uncle blew his first belt in 67 miles in Cooke. We regeared to 19 the next weekend and he didn't blow a belt but his clutches were still hot all the time. Just waiting for the next one to blow.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
If you can regear a sled in 10 minutes I will hire you.

With or without air tools?

Tip sled on side - 10 secs
Take off cover - 2 mins
back out tensioner - 30 secs
Yell at helper to come hold brake handle and curse out helper for taking so long - 15 secs
nuts on both gears and cotter pin - 1 min, 30 secs
chug beer - 30 secs
total - 4 mins, 55 seconds
Replace in same order

when do i start.....? :)

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
With or without air tools?

Tip sled on side - 10 secs
Take off cover - 2 mins
back out tensioner - 30 secs
Yell at helper to come hold brake handle and curse out helper for taking so long - 15 secs
nuts on both gears and cotter pin - 1 min, 30 secs
chug beer - 30 secs
total - 4 mins, 55 seconds
Replace in same order

when do i start.....? :)

I usually start by draining the chaincase fluid

4min 38 seconds. 1 Crown/Coke. I'm also watering down our drinks to leave $$$ in the "belt fund". Trying a Dayco (only $60.00!?!?!) tomorrow for a side by side test with an identically set up XP with a Doo belt. Already did the 19T and swiss-cheesed the side panels.

J
Feb 15, 2003
Greenfield, MN(55357)
Maybe a couple of stupid questions but would like to know from others who have performed the upper gear swap....

1) How are you holding the driven shaft to loosen the upper gear nut? Can't use the brake since it is down on the driveshaft now.

2) Anyone know what the torque spec. is on the upper gear nut when re-assembling?

Thanks,
-John

E
Maybe a couple of stupid questions but would like to know from others who have performed the upper gear swap....

1) How are you holding the driven shaft to loosen the upper gear nut? Can't use the brake since it is down on the driveshaft now.

2) Anyone know what the torque spec. is on the upper gear nut when re-assembling?

Thanks,
-John

The upper gear is connected to the chain bone
the chain bone is connected to the driveshaft bone, and
the driveshaft bone is connected to the brake bone.

Sorry.... I couldnt help myself.

J
Feb 15, 2003
Greenfield, MN(55357)
The upper gear is connected to the chain bone
the chain bone is connected to the driveshaft bone, and
the driveshaft bone is connected to the brake bone.

Sorry.... I couldnt help myself.

You have a point there EndlessWinter! I guess I am overthinking(or underthinking) this.....:eek:

Ok...now that this is out of the way, anyone know the torque spec. for this gear?

Thanks,
-John

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
so far the hand warmers are ok on our 2 sleds.i just think BRp should take care of us especially after the 07 clutch problems..as far as regearing ,if BRP had left the 08 like the 07 [19-45] i wouldnt be regearing and probably wouldnt be buying a new belt !

only the 159s had 19/45....the 151's ahd 21/45...

the 146's need a 22 at minimum..should have had a 21 and the shorter chain...the 154's shoulda had a 20...the 163's are right on 21/49...BJ

S

Skidooer

Oct 10, 2001
I put in a 19T top then rode today. RPM's hold a little better but clutches still hot as he11!!!!!!!

I keep hearing change ramps and add more pin weight but not sure if this is the right thing to try. Ideas????

S
Jan 6, 2002
well me and a bud just cleaned our clutches on our XP's..there was some residue on them! now..if there is still heat build-up in the clutches..it probably means that the clutching-gearing is not efficient! factory Doo clutching is usually never the greatest! i'll wait for the clutching guru's to figure it out and get their kits!

yeah..so i'll have to spend a few extra bucks to get it running great! i think the potential is there..and when its figured out..gonna be some good spankin on the hills:D

Premium Features