• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newbie looking at first sleds - Looking for Recommendations and feedback

M
Jan 24, 2016
NW Montana
Hey Guys,

Just getting into sledding. Been an avid snowboarder for almost 20 years and I love playing in the snow.

Looking at a few different sleds to get my feet wet and been researching the hell out of them for the past few weeks and was wondering if you guys had some recommendations. I appreciate any guidance or direction you can give me. There is so much stuff online I've read a ton about each sled.

I live in flathead valley Montana and have a lot of riding days ahead of me this year.

I've been test riding many to see what I like and don't like and to see how the different sleds handle.

I do have a use 1993 Arctic Cat EXT 580 Mountain Cat I picked up for $600 which isn;t running at the moment. I'm currently int eh process of tearing the carbs apart to clean and put back together. It was running fine then quit on me after about a 17 mile ride and wasn't running good. It sat for a while before I bought it and looking back I should have torn the carbs apart, replaced the fuel filter, and possibly gotten new hoses at a bare minimum. It starts just fine with some starter fluid :)

Anyhow I'll be keeping that sled for friends, the wife, and just having a spare sled to bomb around on when I don't want to take out my newer sled.

Here is what I am currently looking at and my requirements.

1. I don't want to have to do a ton of maintenance on it (I know I'm getting into the wrong hobby) but besides the usual maintenance stuff just want to keep it stock and play with it in the mountains.
  2. I don't plan to do anything crazy, I'm still a greenie so need to get my feet wet. I'm looking to get an all around mountain sled that can play in some powder and trees but I don't plan on climbing crazy mountains straight up. That does not sound appealing to me (yet).
  3. Possibly get a sled that I can pass down to the wife and 4 kids, oldest is a boy and 3 girls (i'm doomed)
  4. I'm 34 and in good shape and don't mind working a little bit on the mountain with my sled.
Here is what I am currently looking at, all around $3k or less. I've narrowed it down to these:

1. 2008 polaris dragon rmk 700: (really like this one) cleanfire 700 efi, reverse, Great running sled in good condition. 3600 miles, seat bag, fox float 2 shocks in front, upgraded front bumper, 155 track. Full service performed at start of season 100 miles ago.
  2. 07 skidoo rev 800r: $3k - Not sure on mileage tach quit working around 2ooo miles (steering away from this one because not knowing mileage)
    Nice 2007 skidoo rev summit x 800r
    Runs and rides great
    Upgraded track 151
    Bmp can
  3. 2006 Ski-Doo REV HO 144: $2700 sled is stock with the exception of having a can on it. There are 3000 miles on it.
  4. 2004 Ski-doo Rev 800: 151 track, 16" wide with 2.25" paddles.
    Dual ring pistons and new crank installed in 2011. Probably less than 1000 miles on them (have not been able to ride much these past few years). 5701 miles on chassis still in beautiful condition!
    Seat from a 2006 which saves you about 10 lbs.
    Has vent kit, Better Boards, the updated pilot skis, anti ratchet drivers, an SLP can, and SLP air intake. Has clutch off of an 07 RT 1000 and Boyesen reeds.
    Comes with Ski-doo handle bar bag and tunnel bag, and ski-doo cover.
    Always garage-stored and transported with cover.
  5. 2008 skidoo summit x 800r 154 I like how light this thing is. 429 lbs dry. (this one he wants $3500) 4300 miles
    Freshly rebuilt primary clutch
    154" camoplast challenger track
    9" MMP Billet big wheel kit
    Better running boards
    Full vent kit
    Hand gaurds
    DJ clutch kit
    Modified intake
    Runs good
  6. 2006 Polaris 600 rmk 144 Wants $2200 for this one (I rode this one and even though it is as heavy as the 800's it rode very nimble and was easy to turn probably due to the shorter track?) I also like that it is a smaller motor and will probably teach me how to become a better rider and also small enough to give to my wife or kids later on.
    600ho RMK, stock 144 track, 5000+ miles, fresh top end last year, runs great. It has the updated 09 dragon front end, slp pipe and can, vforce reeds, slp intake, sly dog trail skis or simmons skis, better boards, walker evans air shocks. Also includes 5 extra belts with around 30 miles on each (a racer friend gave them to him)
  7. 2006 skidoo rev 800 151: $3200 (LOW ORIGINAL MILES AND Single Owner is a plus) after market 2.1/4 in track , jaws can , boss seat, lefty throttle 1250 original miles
  8. 2007 Skidoo Summit X 800 w/151 - $2800 - Runs great, no issues, Right around 2400 miles.
    -151" track - a few lugs torn/cracked
    -Skidoo Tunnel Jerry can fuel caddy
    -Cover
    -lefty throttle
    -HPS Can
    -Stock Windshield plus a Larger aftermarket one
    -Extra Belt

So at the end of the day it is between a 600 RMK, 700 Dragon, or one of the Skidoos.

I'm leaning towards the 06 Skidoo summit because of low miles and sounds like a solid sled or the 06 Polaris 600 rmk. Only thing with the Polaris is the 600 size motor and 144 track. Seems the 800 motor and 151 track might be a bit better for me. 200lb and 5' 10"

I appreciate any feedback you veterans can lend and look forward to posting many new riding stories and videos on here!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
A 600 and 700 engine will typically last longer.

The longer the track the better in powder is a good general rule.

The 144 track is small for powder over 2-3 feet.

The 600-700 will be easier to learn for you and your children.

Once you learn the 800 would be great but I would not let my children ride an 800 until, they had a few years on a smaller HP sled.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I understand that you are currently having a bad Arctic Cat experience. Set fire to that oldie and do not look back.

I think there are serious reliability issues with pretty much every sled you listed, which is why they are so cheap.

You should be looking for an Arctic Cat M7 or M8 from '05-'11. These are reliable machines that work REALLY well in the mountains. I have owned an M7 and currently maintain a fleet of said Cats for guests. Perfect beginners sled that you can grow with.

I am currently a Polaris rider, have been for a few years now. I wouldn't touch an IQ chassis Polaris for free. I ride with Doos almost exclusively but up until the 2011 change to the e-tech engine, I wouldn't touch one of those either.

Good Luck!

A
Feb 16, 2014
I agree with CO Powder and blk88gt. Have had an '06 M7 and an '09 M8 and they have been extremely rilable sleds...Just add Gas, oil and pull the rope. To this day the M chassis sleds are still very capable to ride with the newer machines and give you the opportunity to grow as your skills progress.

snowho96

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
ia
Had a ski doo 800 that age and had a lot of motor problems between 3000-4000 miles.have had some iq chassis Polaris and would recommend a 600 or 700. The Polaris 800s were the worst that age. Never had m artic cats that age but heard they were good too.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
See there is an M7 with low miles for sale in Kalispell. Within your budget too. I own a few M sleds and a Pro. I would definitely look at the M sleds. Also what kind of dealers are in your area?

M
Jan 24, 2016
NW Montana
I understand that you are currently having a bad Arctic Cat experience. Set fire to that oldie and do not look back.

I think there are serious reliability issues with pretty much every sled you listed, which is why they are so cheap.

You should be looking for an Arctic Cat M7 or M8 from '05-'11. These are reliable machines that work REALLY well in the mountains. I have owned an M7 and currently maintain a fleet of said Cats for guests. Perfect beginners sled that you can grow with.

I am currently a Polaris rider, have been for a few years now. I wouldn't touch an IQ chassis Polaris for free. I ride with Doos almost exclusively but up until the 2011 change to the e-tech engine, I wouldn't touch one of those either.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the input and tips guys.

Honestly the Cat is solid. It just sat for 3 years not running so I didn;t expect it to run like a top out of the gate. My snowmobile buddy who has been in the game since he was a kid says it is in great condition and most likely once I'm done with the carb work should run great. It will be a good beater sled and great for the whole family, and especially my wife.

So I rode the 06 Skidoo with low miles today and it is mint. I'll be able to get a good deal on it and am leaning that direction. Probably all the sled I'll need and then some for a while. Enough to pull the kids up the sledding hill and have some fun for myself. But of course way to big for everyone except myself in the family. In terms of reliability and size from what I have read the 06 Skidoo model was the good year for that style.

I also rode the 08 Summit and WOW it was a rocket. High miles at 4300 though. But it is in really good condition and everything seems to work just fine. Compression was 120 and 125 respectively. It's a straight sled and I was amazed the difference between a 430lb sled and a 480lb one. I could definitely feel it and felt very comfortable on it.

So that's where I am at. Probably deciding between these two. I do like the Ski-doos in these years over the Cats because of the rider forward design and reverse is pretty damn sweet. I did read the 07 skidoo was one of the worst years and '06 was good.

I'll take some pics once I pull the trigger.

Thanks again for the help, this is a great forum!

Kyle

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
That '06 Rev should be fine. Anything over 2500 miles without engine work on any '04 thru '07 should be avoided. The '08 has too many miles and will need work very soon. I'm a 'Doo guy, but have huge respect for the M-sled Cats.. they are as bulletproof as any mountain sled made.

I hate cans.. I hate Jaws cans even more. Look for a stock can for that '06 if you plan on using it to tow your kids...or get them ear plugs. I realize they save huge amounts of weight, but most riders don't have the skills to take advantage of that weight savings anyway.

Last edited:
M
Jan 24, 2016
NW Montana
That '06 Rev should be fine. Anything over 2500 miles without engine work on any '04 thru '07 should be avoided. The '08 has too many miles and will need work very soon. I'm a 'Doo guy, but have huge respect for the M-sled Cats.. they are as bulletproof as any mountain sled made.

I hate cans.. I hate Jaws cans even more. Look for a stock can for that '06 if you plan on using it to tow your kids...or get them ear plugs. I realize they save huge amounts of weight, but most riders don't have the skills to take advantage of that weight savings anyway.

Thanks Doug. My thoughts exactly on the '08. No telling when it will need work done and he doesn't know what work has been done on it already.

Maybe he still has the stock Can I can install. Quieter is better for me :)

What sort of work typically has to get done after 2500 miles? New Top end? How exactly do you know when it needs a new top end? is it a feel/sound thing or just a matter of inspecting it?

As well how many miles can you realistically put on a sled like this that is not getting rode crazy hard? My "plan" is to do a lot of riding in open fields/meadows where we can go fast on flat areas and jump the drifts and such, and the occasional mountain climbs and powder, but nothing crazy like straight up the side of the mountain. That has no appeal to me. Bombing around through some open trees and meadows sounds way more fun. I'm looking at this like an experience similar to snowboarding with a motor.

I of course could be all wrong in how I will be riding but just don't see myself being a speed demon hill climber.

D
Mar 31, 2011
Sounds like your mind is pretty much made up but I have to throw another vote in for the M series sleds. I also am a poo guy now but my old M8 was by far the most reliable sled I've owned, and I've owned a few. Very good handling mountain sleds with strong, bulletproof motors. If I had to go back to a $3,000 ish sled I'd be all over an M7-M8.

M
Jan 24, 2016
NW Montana
Sounds like your mind is pretty much made up but I have to throw another vote in for the M series sleds. I also am a poo guy now but my old M8 was by far the most reliable sled I've owned, and I've owned a few. Very good handling mountain sleds with strong, bulletproof motors. If I had to go back to a $3,000 ish sled I'd be all over an M7-M8.

I've basically been researching/looking at sleds for a month now and unless going with newer arctic cat models I like how the Skidoo's ride in this price range, and have reverse :) I did ride one M8 and liked it but it was not in near as good as shape and there were a few unknowns I do not want to inherit, which is obviously a risk with any sled. Oh and it was priced similar.

The 06 is single owner, low miles, and is super clean. So unless I missed something from what I have read, the rideability is there and seems like it will be all the sled I'll need for the time being.

I could not really find any issues with the 06 Rev, and in fact most everything I read said it was one of the best years and models.

Thanks again for the input. I am curious though what would be the difference between getting an 06 Rev and an M8 in similar years? Maintenance, performance, etc?

C
Dec 24, 2014
Lots of people like the Doo's. I personally can not ride them. The position is all wrong and the steering post at an angle baffles me.

I would also be concerned about why people think an '06 is so much better than an '07 or any similar year? They were all pretty much the same, as mentioned, they need motor work after 2500 miles. The '06 is not immune to this.

So for me, the Cat's are a WAY better chassis for mountain riding. I can easily go back and forth between my new Axys and the M-Cat. The Cat 800 is a better motor than that Doo, hands down. More power and better reliability. The Cat is easier to work on when that time comes too.

Those Cats were the best sleds on the market at that time and they are still the best riding most reliable spare or beginner sled that I can think of.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Look up in my area...a good buddy just sold his 2011 rmk 800 pro 163 with 2500 miles for 5k cad...which is like 3500 USD and a way more modern sled...it ran great and had a new top end...so check out kijiji up here and do the math your dollar is golden up here at the moment!

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I would also be concerned about why people think an '06 is so much better than an '07 or any similar year? They were all pretty much the same, as mentioned, they need motor work after 2500 miles. The '06 is not immune to this.

So for me, the Cat's are a WAY better chassis for mountain riding. I can easily go back and forth between my new Axys and the M-Cat. The Cat 800 is a better motor than that Doo, hands down. More power and better reliability. The Cat is easier to work on when that time comes too.

Those Cats were the best sleds on the market at that time and they are still the best riding most reliable spare or beginner sled that I can think of.
07 was the first year for the 800R and there seemed to be a few crank failures. .....the rest i agree with but you go with what feels right to you. Also the M was fuel injected and the Rev is carb so you should clean the carbs every year.

C
Apr 28, 2008
spokane wa
Ill have to add another vote to what the original poster is leaning towards, go for the 06 rev, best rev year made as you already know, I had a 06 and a 07 both were awesome sleds I did come across a great deal on a 2010 m8 while I had my 06 rev, the m8 was a pile, yes it had a good motor but the sled around it felt like a dinosaur. 07 rev needed some work to perform the way the 06 did. I will always have a soft spot for revs.

M
Jan 24, 2016
NW Montana
Well here's the one I got: http://kalispell.craigslist.org/snw/5397780039.html

Got it for $2500 which I think is a mighty fine deal, I'm a wheeler and dealer :)

For a sled with 1200 miles, original owner with all the paperwork, in MINT condition, and a few upgrades, I'm pleased with my first "newer" sled. Quite an upgrade from a '93 Arctic Cat EXT 580, which is gonna be a nice sled for friends and the wife to come hang out on in the mtns with me.

Now its time to ride! Unfortunately don't get to go until next Thursday so I just get to sit and look at it. Getting some Duraflex Ice Skids as it has none, and taking it to the shop for a good once over to make sure everything is good to go. She runs beautifully as far as I can tell but it's always nice having that piece of mind.

I believe he did put an upgraded 154" track even though it said 151. I'll just leave it as is without adding anything to it and maybe next year or year after get something a bit newer. But this will be plenty of sled for a newbie like myself to handle and get my feet wet.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. Pics and videos to come along with some entries on my personal blog.

Premium Features