• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Break in oil???

M
Feb 26, 2018
I use Polaris VES in my 14 Pro. I will be doing a rebuild soon. Building car/truck motors it isn’t suggested to use synthetic oil for break in. So, what oil should be used to break in my motor?? Should I empty the VES out of the oil tank and replace with the real cheap conventional oil? Or should I keep the VES in the oil tank and add some conventional oil to the gas? Or should I just break it in on VES oil?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Break it in with VES. You're comparing 4 stroke to 2 stroke. Different animal, but most of that mineral versus synthetic is hearsay anyway. Except, in a 2 stroke with power valves, synthetic is a lot cleaner burning. Mix your fist tank of gas 50:1. After that, ride it like you stole it.

A
Feb 11, 2017
Seward, Alaska
Their is so much controversy about this it's ridiculous. While I've only rebuilt two sleds myself I've used synthetic oil for break-in on both of them. All the manufactures put synthetic oil in for break-in too. I also used to know a guy who rebuilt sleds as a side hustle and he always broke them in with Amsoil. I really just think it has become a matter of opinion.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Don't over think it, that's the first issue with these oil threads, what's more important is how well the rebuild job is. That said if the injection pump is stock turn that baby up! I have my screws maxed and seems to net a overall, 40:1,

Let it warm up before riding and just vary the throttle, punch it wide open just don't hold it there for ever, and most of all just ride it. It'll break in as you ride.

M
Dec 4, 2010
I believe the break in oil for both Polaris and Skidoo is semi synthetic not full synthetic. The theory I heard was the dino oil mixes more consistently with gasoline than does the full synthetic. However, I cannot speak from experience as to one being better than the other. Just generally follow the factory service manual guidance. Chapter 2, page 6 Polaris service manual "break in procedure":
"Polaris recommends filling the oil tank and pre-mixing the first full tank of fuel with Premium 2-Cycle Semi-Synthetic Oil when the engine is either new or refurbished (new pistons, crankshaft, cylinder, etc.)."

Premium Features