• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brand Bashing Yamaha Sleds

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And THATS why we don't see alot of different engines. :)
Ya, But....
Look at the Genesis.
There were SO MANY variations on that theme over a 30+ year life cycle.

Yamaha seems to take their ever loving time coming up with something REALLY GOOD and then they stick with it for decades.

Pure Speculation here..
But I think we WILL see this new engine design make its way into the next generation of Yamaha 4-Stroke sleds. Might be a year or two away yet, but that is my best guess for the replacement of the Genesis when the time comes.

What would be interesting is to get some mechanical specs to see the size/weight of the new engine to make some initial comparisons to the "equivalent" Genesis and see if there were any real world savings to be had or not??

Was it Narrower?
Was it Lighter?
Ect..

Just what are the real world possibilities for this new engine?

I know the biker community is liking it.
We drove down to SLC to take the new Yamaha FZ-09 for a test ride.
This bike is a kick in the pants, and the electronic throttle control is something that has to be PLAYED with in person to fully appreciate.

• The ride-by-wire Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) system senses the slightest throttle input by the rider, relays the data to the ECU, which instantaneously calculates the ideal throttle valve opening based on engine rpm and throttle opening, and then sends commands to a servo-motor actuator that moves the throttle valve which actively controls the intake airflow volume. This is a technology contributing to the rider’s feeling of torque and controllability from the new 3-cylinder engine.

• The FZ-09™ is equipped with Yamaha D-MODE (or “Drive Mode”) variable throttle control system to allow the rider to choose the optimum engine character for their riding situation. The rider can choose at will from three throttle valve control maps (Standard Mode, “A” Mode, and “B” Mode) for different performance characteristics. Operation is performed by a button on the handlebars. STD Mode is set to accommodate a wide range of riding conditions. In this mode the rider can enjoy the 3-cylinder engine’s linear torque feeling from low speeds all the way up to high speeds. A-Mode lets the rider enjoy sharper throttle response in the low-to mid-rpm range than the STD Mode. B-Mode lets the rider enjoy milder throttle response than the STD Mode for more relaxed power characteristics.

img.jpg

Last edited:

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Ya, But....
Look at the Genesis.
There were SO MANY variations on that theme over a 30+ year life cycle.

Yamaha seems to take their ever loving time coming up with something REALLY GOOD and then they stick with it for decades.

Pure Speculation here..
But I think we WILL see this new engine design make its way into the next generation of Yamaha 4-Stroke sleds. Might be a year or two away yet, but that is my best guess for the replacement of the Genesis when the time comes.

What would be interesting is to get some mechanical specs to see the size/weight of the new engine to make some initial comparisons to the "equivalent" Genesis and see if there were any real world savings to be had or not??

Was it Narrower?
Was it Lighter?
Ect..

Just what are the real world possibilities for this new engine?

I know the biker community is liking it.
We drove down to SLC to take the new Yamaha FZ-09 for a test ride.
This bike is a kick in the pants, and the electronic throttle control is something that has to be PLAYED with in person to fully appreciate.

• The ride-by-wire Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) system senses the slightest throttle input by the rider, relays the data to the ECU, which instantaneously calculates the ideal throttle valve opening based on engine rpm and throttle opening, and then sends commands to a servo-motor actuator that moves the throttle valve which actively controls the intake airflow volume. This is a technology contributing to the rider’s feeling of torque and controllability from the new 3-cylinder engine.

• The FZ-09™ is equipped with Yamaha D-MODE (or “Drive Mode”) variable throttle control system to allow the rider to choose the optimum engine character for their riding situation. The rider can choose at will from three throttle valve control maps (Standard Mode, “A” Mode, and “B” Mode) for different performance characteristics. Operation is performed by a button on the handlebars. STD Mode is set to accommodate a wide range of riding conditions. In this mode the rider can enjoy the 3-cylinder engine’s linear torque feeling from low speeds all the way up to high speeds. A-Mode lets the rider enjoy sharper throttle response in the low-to mid-rpm range than the STD Mode. B-Mode lets the rider enjoy milder throttle response than the STD Mode for more relaxed power characteristics.

img.jpg

They can use whatever motor they want and put it in whatever chassis they want, but without FACTORY boost and a good warranty its gonna be a tough sell............

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
They can use whatever motor they want and put it in whatever chassis they want, but without FACTORY boost and a good warranty its gonna be a tough sell............

Yamaha has always had a solid warranty.
As for factory boost, I think pretty much everyone here agrees.
Non of us are entirely sure WHY Yamaha doesn't offer the Viper with the Turbo or Supercharger pre-installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha has always had a solid warranty.
As for factory boost, I think pretty much everyone here agrees.
Non of us are entirely sure WHY Yamaha doesn't offer the Viper with the Turbo or Supercharger pre-installed.

On my demo ride the Yamaha reps told me it had to with passing emissions. And that's why they aren't factory installed.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have heard the same comments. But it's hard to imagine a brand new four stroke fuel injected engine not passing emissions??!

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
...because it is too weak to ride as is, even though it is already the highest priced sled in the 800 class to begin with. Thanks for making my point.

And the douche is back. Lmao. What joy are we entitled to now that flappy joe and his dangling capabilities are gracing us with his prescence. All the other brands including polaris probably got tired of you AGAIN and kicked you out AGAIN and your back.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
Ah yes, engine performance
No engine in the industry delivers the power, longevity or Modibility of the Yamaha motors. Legendary horsepower for boosted engines that don't grenade.

I know a hand full of drag racers that would beg to differ with that statement with benches full of busted up cases .
yammi makes a great motor accepting to light mods. but deff not the preferred option to 4st race motor builders. one look at 660 1000ft and 1/4 mi ice and grass race results will tell a far dif story than the one u are imagining .

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
My SRX had 7000 miles on it, 4000 of them bigbored and ported. My UNBOOSTED Apex blew the f&%^ up with 3300 miles.........junk. Kind of like slamming your fingers in the door.....I wont make the same mistake anytime soon.:tsk:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My SRX had 7000 miles on it, 4000 of them bigbored and ported. My UNBOOSTED Apex blew the f&%^ up with 3300 miles.........junk. Kind of like slamming your fingers in the door.....I wont make the same mistake anytime soon.:tsk:

And you are trying to say that all Yamaha apex engines are junk.
Seriously....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And the douche is back. Lmao. What joy are we entitled to now that flappy joe and his dangling capabilities are gracing us with his prescence. All the other brands including polaris probably got tired of you AGAIN and kicked you out AGAIN and your back.

In just 5 more posts he will be at the end of his ability to read new post on this thread. So chances are he will just fade away like he has done on several other Yamaha threads

O
Dec 6, 2007
In just 5 more posts he will be at the end of his ability to read new post on this thread. So chances are he will just fade away like he has done on several other Yamaha threads

...but you allow posts like that? Once again Christopher, you are soooo transparent in your biases. That is pathetic, and you know it, right?

Premium Features