• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions

Hail Yea

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2010
I have never rode the Black Hills and would like to take my wife and girls after Xmas . My wife and I ride Togwotee/ Dubois/ Snowy's/etc but would like something easier to break in our girls 11 & 14. Who has riden this area and would give me some advice on lodging and expectations. My wife and I both ride Summits and my girls have new MXZ sports with the 600 ACE. My guess is since we have the girls we would spend most of our time on the trails and easy meadows. What are the snow conditions like currently? What's the elevation? Do people get drunk and ride like they do in the Midwest. Thanks in advance for you help. Trevor.

C
Jan 14, 2012
Close to Lead
http://recreationalspringsresort.com/

Another place to stay. Also has a webcam
http://www.trailsheadlodge.com/

Trail Map so you can see where they are located.
http://www.trailsheadlodge.com/images/BHSnowmo.pdf

But if you are going out after Christmas and dont already have reservations, your best bet would to stay in Deadwood.

Elevation up top is around 6000 feet.

Snow Conditions are updated very well in the thread below this one :)

Its not the drunks you have to worry about, its the dipsh!ts riding 2 wide down the trail-parking 3 wide on the trail on the inside of a corner. Or meeting the hot rod trail racer on your right hand side of the trail in a turn.

Last edited:
I would recommend Recreatoinal springs for you. Brett is doing an awesome job there! Boon docking is usually better up by trails head, but not enough base this time of year. It's quite a drive trailering to trailhead. You could be riding trails instead of driving. Taxies will take you back and forth to deadwood fron Rec springs if u want to have a drink. Usually the trails closer to deadwood have less snow, but it may be ok after this snow.

As far as drunks out on snowmobiles, sdsnocop does a good job talking to groups when he meets them. Most of us in the black hills understand drinking is for back at the cabin after the ride, while dishing on each other about choice of brands or how they got stuck! Haha! Always can have a few bad apples though no matter where you ride.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The last alcohol involved fatal we dealt with was in 1998. Otherwise I deal with an alcohol involved accident every other year. Most BH riders are good about waiting until they get back to the lodge before the heavy drinking starts. Also we do not have the night riding like they do in Minnesota and Wisconsin. It seems I find more drunks in wheeled vehicles on the snowmobile trail than on snowmobiles.

JW

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
O'Neill, NE
X2
Brett and his family are doing are great job. Great food, great people.

I suggest riding up trail #4 to Spearfish Canyon, stop at Roughlock Falls.

X3!!!

Brett at Rec. and the crew do a great job!!!!!!!!!!! Been riding the Hills since the late 80's and have had great experiences every time. With kids, I don't know if there is a better or safer place. :welcome:

Dec 17, 2013
Stops are far and few between, which seems to keep down on the "bar hopping" type riders. Trails are some of the best marked (and groomed) in the country, with maps at just about every intersection. Don't think I've ever had to pull mine out while on the trails, just at stops to figure out the rest of the days ride. Trailshead Lodge is good, but real, real busy. I'd suggest it as a lunch stop. As others have suggested, Rec Springs would likely be the ticket with a family and not a bad drive into the hills. Recently under new ownership, so if you hear anything bad, it was the previous owner and he's out.

The Hills are my favorite, got my start out there. Good luck, you are going to have a blast!!!

S
Nov 26, 2012
Minneapolis
Worth the drive

Its about 21 miles to Trailshead from Lead. If you're looking for the best mix of trail and some meadow riding, taking off out of Trailshead is the best option. The last owners of Rec Springs did turn it into a dump, but I have heard nothing but good things about the new owners and the things they have done. The only issue is that its tougher to find off trail riding from Rec and as some have mentioned, the snow can be thinner there. With the girls that age and your Summits, the Trail 4 from Trailshead to Spearfish Canyon suggestion is a nice idea. Nice twenty mile ride or so, some off trail areas and the ride into Spearfish Canyon is absolutely beautiful. Hit the Latchstring for a lunch when there. Its a great place to eat.

P
Jan 30, 2013
I have never rode the Black Hills and would like to take my wife and girls after Xmas . My wife and I ride Togwotee/ Dubois/ Snowy's/etc but would like something easier to break in our girls 11 & 14. Who has riden this area and would give me some advice on lodging and expectations. My wife and I both ride Summits and my girls have new MXZ sports with the 600 ACE. My guess is since we have the girls we would spend most of our time on the trails and easy meadows. What are the snow conditions like currently? What's the elevation? Do people get drunk and ride like they do in the Midwest. Thanks in advance for you help. Trevor.

I have been there three times. Great trail area. We stayed in Deadwood and we were able to ride from the hotel. Comfort Inn 605 578-7550 or Deadwood Gulch which is right up the rode. We rode 50 miles one way to Canyon Springs Stage stop in Wyoming for a cheeseburger. Great place.
When we were there we didn't find any meadows to play in but the trails were good. I think this is a great idea to get some miles for the girls. I am planning on doing the same thing later Jan with my 13 yr old.

Premium Features