• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Float vs ABS Vario

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Different people will like different bags, they both do the same thing. Personally I like the float bag, other people will say they like the ABS bag. Just get the bag that has the size and fit you like, the pockets you like, ect. And of course, the price that you like the most. Also not sure on what ABS uses in their canisters but you might want to think about what canister you can get re filled locally. Compressed air is easy to get your hands on, iv heard of other bags using something else, cant remember if ABS was one of not.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
ABS uses nitrogen - more stable than air with altitude and temp changes to insure proper bag inflation (same stability concept as tires). Bag fit is key - if you don't wear it, it won't help you.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
ABS uses nitrogen - more stable than air with altitude and temp changes to insure proper bag inflation (same stability concept as tires). Bag fit is key - if you don't wear it, it won't help you.

Nitrogen can be used in the BCA as well. I fill my own (BCA Float) with Nitrogen.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I had a Float 30 sold it for an ABS and put the SB15 bag on it. For day trips I found the Float 30 to be to big and the ability to zip on any size bag to the ABS is awesome. I find the ABS bag is built better and fits nice, ABS has 2 different size base units to pick from. Both bags don't cost much to refill the canisters. I do have a better feeling when my canister is filled by the manufacture(ABS) then just a guy at a local dealership like BCA does. ABS has nicer features and quality plus been in the game way longer, which is reflected in their price tag.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Another thing to consider, around here people who WERE filling BCA cans are no longer doing so in some instances. The one local place that was doing them stopped because of lack of support from BCA (we're only an hour away from them here btw)

I can call & have an ABS can here in a day, but I've got to drive an hour to get a BCA can filled...

Btw, once you buy a vario... there's no reason to buy another pack. You can buy the "bag" if you want, but the pack is good for a 5L & a 55 L... whatever you want. I've got a 5, 18, and a 50. each has a purpose, and I'm glad I've at least got two of them. A 30 is an obnoxiously big pack for day rides, but the 5 is useless for an overnight or hut trip... each has a purpose.

OEUnlimited

Premium Member
Nov 2, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
www.oeunlimited.com
One thought on BCA filling - its a paintball fitting, so even if you can't find someone who says they fill BCA cylinders, most paintball shops will do it, and many scuba shops have the adapter on hand. If not they aren't too expensive to buy, or you can rent them as well.

The O-Ring reset on the BCA cylinders is really easy too - seems intimidating to have to do it yourself, but its not a big deal at all.

Premium Features