• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bars or Riser?

M
Earlier I posted a thread regarding BMX bars and there is not enough room for controls and grips. So I am back to square one in regards to a better riding position. I was out today looking at riser's but honestly I hate my bars, they have a real uncomfortable sweep, but I could live with them if I had too. So what are you guys running for bar/riser set-up? I was at the local dealer today inquiring about the pro-tapers but they didn't know anything. I have a 4" block on the stock t-top in a 04 escape.

Thoughts, opinions....

T
Jan 4, 2009
Washington
I currently have a 2" non-angled riser on my 02 edge. I wish I had purchased an ANGLED riser. An angled riser moves the handlebars straight up form the center of the steering post. The non-angled riser moves the handlebar up and toward the back of the chassis.

I'm 6'4" and a 2" riser is just not tall enough. I have two good options: 1) buy a larger riser block and keep my current bars... or... 2) keep my 2" riser block and buy rise handlebars(similar to what was on the BMX). Both options cost about the same, but new handlebars require more work as the grips, controls, etc must be transfered to the new bars. Both options require extended brake and throttle cables. I hope that helps.

rsiracing.com has some good products

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
I have a custom 8" riser that i made and angled so it would keep my bar correct but this month i am actually going to rework my steering column so i do not need a riser any more. last season I hit big hole and broke them clean off and broke my nose in doing so!

Bars.jpg

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Don't use aluminum bars unless you don't want hand warmers. They won't work for Chit if you do.

I got about 5" rise and I am 5'4"

Pivot risers and aluminum Fly taper bars

M
I wouldn't be caught dead with alluminum bars, cromo bends, alum snaps! I have snapped bars on my bikes so I know the draw backs.

Does anyone use bigger bars on their edge models? Or is a bigger riser all I got for options?

Can I just put another riser block on the current block?

My sled has a t-top so I can adjust my bars forward/back

Y

yardfarmer

Jul 30, 2004
Sw Iowa
I have a 4" ole's angled riser on my edge..., works good had to get a longer throtle cable is all.
20061226_IMG_0006.jpg

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
If you want more adjustment with the bars on your edge you can buy a pivot adapter, which will convert your steering post to the "T" type. If you raise your bars more than a couple of inches you should beef up the steering post or it will bend at the support bushing.

M
If you want more adjustment with the bars on your edge you can buy a pivot adapter, which will convert your steering post to the "T" type. If you raise your bars more than a couple of inches you should beef up the steering post or it will bend at the support bushing.

I was talking to the dealer about the steering post and they said they pound a rod into the post to support it.

Seeing as my sled already has the t-post I am leaning to bigger bars.

How are MX bars for mountain riding?

E
Nov 26, 2007
meridian idaho
I am using pro taper mini bends. I love that they are the narrowest i can use and still get all my controls on. Polaris has a grip heater that is hotter than stock and I sprayed foam into the bars. Not as hot as steel bars but it is acceptable. I know you said you don't like aluminium, you might look into a set of carbon fiber bars. I think RSI and fly make them. RSI is good people!

P
Nov 28, 2007
I was talking to the dealer about the steering post and they said they pound a rod into the post to support it.

That doesn't help anything if you have a riser that's 6" or taller. Stock steering posts were not designed to have the added leverage on them. I've broken multiple steering posts this way, including ones with steel rods down the center. My solution, I made a cromoly steering post that was taller, used the stock bushings off the old post.

Here's some bars you might be interested in
http://www.rsiracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=236

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
That doesn't help anything if you have a riser that's 6" or taller. Stock steering posts were not designed to have the added leverage on them. I've broken multiple steering posts this way, including ones with steel rods down the center. My solution, I made a cromoly steering post that was taller, used the stock bushings off the old post.

Here's some bars you might be interested in
http://www.rsiracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=236

Have to say I agree 100 percent. 6 in or taller rise your going to run into some serious problems without some sort of re fabrication to your whole bar system. I just puts to much stress on it. I have a set of FLY bars on my PRO X MOD with a titanium steering post. That baby is amazing 6 inch rise and it doesnt bend a bit.

Premium Features