• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Baker Wilderness Poachers

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
To whoever has been riding around Heliotrope Ridge and the Thunder Glacier on Baker, you've been noticed and reported to the FS (not by me, see link below). These areas are well beyond the Wilderness boundary, so no chance it was accidental. I'd like to be able to continue enjoying riding my sled on Baker and your actions are putting that in jeopardy. Thanks in advance for knocking it the fuk off!

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=27528.0

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Frustrating... And sad that these sledders know that there are no consequences to worry about. USFS can't (or won't?) do a thing except accumulate evidence to eventually justify closing it down. It's up to us to protect the future of our riding areas. Don't just look the other way, folks.... There are a lot of us that will have your back.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
To whoever has been riding around Heliotrope Ridge and the Thunder Glacier on Baker, you've been noticed and reported to the FS (not by me, see link below). These areas are well beyond the Wilderness boundary, so no chance it was accidental. I'd like to be able to continue enjoying riding my sled on Baker and your actions are putting that in jeopardy. Thanks in advance for knocking it the heck off!

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=27528.0

I don't know if I'd go THAT far. Theres alot of guys I've talked to up there that have no idea there is wilderness areas or have any idea where they start. Not all sledders are as aware of things like this as we'd all think here on snowest. Some guys dont even HAVE the interwebernet!! imagine that!

Not saying its ok, but gotta give some the benifit of the doubt. Alot of ignorant people out there........I mean man, one time we ventured up to peanut knob on one of those snowy, low vis days and dug out some guy on an early 90's indy, wearing BLUE JEANS, and says afterward "Oh yeah I had it, iv'e been riding up here for years no biggie, but thanks for the hand diggin!"

*facepalm*.............

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
We have alway's followed the rule of "if you can see Baker Lake you've gone to far". Not sure of the exact boundry so we kinda just give a little buffer to be sure.

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
Is this to the east?

well, from what i gathered they were riding on the NW side. they commented on sledders riding on the Thudner Glacier...after hearing that i had to look it up.

basically thunder glacier is the mirror side at the top of the demming glacier...and the demming glacier is the "boundary" we stay to the east of.

i pulled this pic from the NWGC site,. and at the top you'll see the knife edge ridge, that is the border between the thunder glacier (opposite side) and the demming glacier (in the foreground).

So, if that is true, those guys wer WAY THE HE!! in the wrong spot.

http://mappery.com/map-of/Mt-Baker-Topo-Map

http://www.northwestglaciercruisers...ier-cruisers-snowmobile-club-washington29.jpg

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
I don't know if I'd go THAT far. Theres alot of guys I've talked to up there that have no idea there is wilderness areas or have any idea where they start. Not all sledders are as aware of things like this as we'd all think here on snowest.

That is exactly right. I ride over far right and I have the line GPS'd in my Garmin and know exactly where it is and I'll ride up to that point and no further. However, its not like there is a freaking dotted line....if someone follows our tracks it would be easy to think "hey, why didn't they chew up the rest of this canyon".

The Deming glacier side is easily demarcated and no one would dare go any further. The East side line is right in the middle of the canyon because some dumb a$$ drew a line there on a map 60 years ago.

Regarding the wilderness in question, it is accessed by Glacier Creek which I don't know well but the one time I was there what I did see makes me think it would be easy to be in the wrong area and not know it.

Rt

Mar 1, 2013
March 8 and 9th widespread poaching

Was out ski touring yesterday and saw that the problem has become worse in the three weeks since I was last out skiing off of the Glacier Creek road. Counted 8 sleds in the wilderness area and filmed two guys high marking in on the slopes at the head of Grouse Creek. Many of the sleds were snow boarders. The sheriff and forest service were out doing patrol and spoke about how the situation was out of control.

This is traditionally a sled access ski and boarding area within the wilderness. Asking the sled community to impress upon fellow snowmobiles riders of all types to respect the wilderness boundary before the Glacier Creek access gets shut down. That will be the end result if this blatant poaching continues.

Short clip of a couple of sleds a mile past the boundary in and area long popular with skiers and split boarders.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...lbums/5845615837566827233/5853779743671509202

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
huh

"The sheriff and forest service were out doing patrol and spoke about how the situation was out of control."

why do they not write a few expensive tickets then????

or ..were the sheriff and forest service never really there??

a few expensive tickets and sled confiscation for wilderness infractions would DO A WHOLE LOT OF GOOD
as the word in that group would get around.

Last edited:

TGZ

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2011
Uniontown WA
Was out ski touring yesterday and saw that the problem has become worse in the three weeks since I was last out skiing off of the Glacier Creek road. Counted 8 sleds in the wilderness area and filmed two guys high marking in on the slopes at the head of Grouse Creek. Many of the sleds were snow boarders. The sheriff and forest service were out doing patrol and spoke about how the situation was out of control.

This is traditionally a sled access ski and boarding area within the wilderness. Asking the sled community to impress upon fellow snowmobiles riders of all types to respect the wilderness boundary before the Glacier Creek access gets shut down. That will be the end result if this blatant poaching continues.

Short clip of a couple of sleds a mile past the boundary in and area long popular with skiers and split boarders.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...lbums/5845615837566827233/5853779743671509202

Great video! Deputy dork! Didn't you learn in grade school nobody likes a tattle tale?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Great video! Deputy dork! Didn't you learn in grade school nobody likes a tattle tale?

That kind of attitude toward this situation is exactly the kind of attitude that will get all of us banned from the mostly free range riding we enjoy to the confines of designated trail riding. If we don't work to educate the uninformed and punish the individuals that don't care and are responsible for wilderness infractions, ALL OF US will take the fall for it.

A
Nov 26, 2007
eugene, oregon
That kind of attitude toward this situation is exactly the kind of attitude that will get all of us banned from the mostly free range riding we enjoy to the confines of designated trail riding. If we don't work to educate the uninformed and punish the individuals that don't care and are responsible for wilderness infractions, ALL OF US will take the fall for it.[/QUOTE]

X2

TGZ

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2011
Uniontown WA
That kind of attitude toward this situation is exactly the kind of attitude that will get all of us banned from the mostly free range riding we enjoy to the confines of designated trail riding. If we don't work to educate the uninformed and punish the individuals that don't care and are responsible for wilderness infractions, ALL OF US will take the fall for it.

Good points here. The guy that filmed this is still nothing more than a tattle tale with a smart phone. That's all I was saying and sorry to have an attitude. People need to find something better to do with their time than trying to catch "wilderness poachers".

Thanks for the thumbs down super moderator.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington

X2[/QUOTE]

it is going to happen... the new interior secretary will change the rule that exempts snowmobiles as "motor vehicles" and then you will be a trail rider..:face-icon-small-sho

Premium Features